OFFICIAL 2009 Madison Scouts Thread

I will remove all of my previous posts about the interactions between the scouts and crossmen. I am not saying they didn't happen by removing them but I wish to not harbor any more bad feelings between the corps. I still trust the people that told me it happened and do still feel that the scouts can be a respectable organization. Here's to the hope that both corps can return to their former selves competitively and can move past the things that have occurred. The crossmen have done things in the past too and we can't little a few incidents ruin an entire reputation of our corps. However, it's a shame that things like this do happen nowadays. I haven't stated specifics of the incident from this year because I don't feel it's fair to point out the exact people on the giving AND receiving end. Good luck next year and let's hope the corps can settle their scores on the field not off.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will remove all of my previous posts about the interactions between the scouts and crossmen. I am not saying they didn't happen by removing them but I wish to not harbor any more bad feelings between the corps. I still trust the people that told me it happened and do still feel that the scouts can be a respectable organization. Here's to the hope that both corps can return to their former selves competitively and can move past the things that have occurred. The crossmen have done things in the past too and we can't little a few incidents ruin an entire reputation of our corps. However, it's a shame that things like this do happen nowadays. I haven't stated specifics of the incident from this year because I don't feel it's fair to point out the exact people on the giving AND receiving end. Good luck next year and let's hope the corps can settle their scores on the field not off.

Well my friend, coming into a public forum such as this and making such claims is going to have effects whether you intend or want them to or or not.

For what it's worth, Crossmen and Madison stayed together in the same facility in Montreal for DCI 1981 and 1982. They could not have been a cooler group of people and nicer bunch. The "mutual admiration societies" were out in force those years.

Also, there was a rash of "jacket stealing" back then... from whom I don't know. But I know many of the Scouts corps jackets were stolen right off the buses at shows. It was so bad that I sent mine home with my parents after DCI north that year. So it's not like this kind of thing is anything new....

There are plenty... the VAST MAJORITY I would say... of good young men in the Madison Scouts this year and every year. That is not to say some of them might not make bad decisions once in a while or do something stupid they might regret later. They ARE people after all is said and done.

But these morons coming in here and driveling out their personal vile and sowing the seeds of discontent about the Scouts is WRONG... and stupid... and irresponsible... and THEY should be held accountable for their words after all is said and done. I'm not sure what they want here... as if a "public apology" will fix anything.

Edited by GGarrett

OH PLEASE... I was referring to the "stealing of uniforms and personal property" that was stated here... :doh:

I was flipped off in my corps days by Bridgemen, Blue Devils, Cavaliers and Kilts members... and the Blue Devil members did it right on the field at DCI 1978! As well as made fun of our (Schaumburg Guardsmen) tall shakos by putting two of their together and "wearing" them. Good thing DCP didn't exist back then for me to come crying in here about THAT classless act by them.

Well, then why don't you go do something positive for the activity for once by Resurrecting the Guardsmen. I will be your first monetary contributor. And please play Fanfare For The New. :doh:

Well, then why don't you go do something positive for the activity for once by Resurrecting the Guardsmen. I will be your first monetary contributor. And please play Fanfare For The New. :doh:

:doh: Well that would be nice! I would love to hear that played again with a new updated version.

:doh: Ummm... WOW... Madison Scouts playing Fanfare for the New? Maybe the "new direction" so many have spoken of here? Hmmmm!

Blowing my own horn here, but I HAVE done many positive things for the activity over the years, as have MANY MANY people including yourself I'm sure. But I NEVER, EVER come in here to DCP and slander an entire organization no matter what I've heard or even seen them do, as at least two people have in this thread. (not you...)

Edited by GGarrett

Was there a police report filed and witness statements taken? Can someone point out the alleged thieves and hold them responsible? This is definitely not the type of thing so many years of Madison Scouts want to hear about... but there has to be more evidence to substantiate such serious charges instead of "I was told by a reliable source..." or a single person here on DCP posting the he/she saw it happen.

You haven't given anything for accountability to occur here, and the two posters below seem to have jumped on the bandwagon to really start the slander process in motion...

If it did happen, the guilty should be held accountable, not the whole corps and the corps from the past, as these two loud mouths below seem to insist on doing...

How about this? I was there on the bus getting into MY uniform when the ageout (I can tell you his name if you'd like) walked up to me with his empty hanger asking if anyone had seen his uniform. I was also there when people from our admin team brought him the uniform (which had been returned to them by some people from Scouts).

WERE YOU REALLY THERE? DID YOU REALLY PERSONALLY SEE IT HAPPEN?

Yes, I was. I was sitting on the Crossmen brass bus as we left semifinals and approximately 30 Madison Scouts (in their corps jackets) stood outside our bus, flipping us off and jeering at us as we drove away. I was also there on finals night when a single Madison Scout walked by the brass bus and taunted us as he walked by

CAN YOU POINT OUT WHICH PERSON(S) MAY HAVE BEEN GUILTY OF THIS? You're having too much fun here writing such a "smack down" letter here. Why didn't you voice your concerns directly to someone on the corps bus if they were right there for you to see? OH I KNOW... because you wanted to come HERE and hide behind your post and say these things without anyone holding YOU accountable for YOUR accusations... I see. OK.

Nope. But an alum/volunteer that was riding the brass bus finals night got off and confronted the Scout that was taunting us. . . he strangely had less to say when he was standing face to face with someone. He's lucky the whole bus didn't unload.

PROVE this happened... tell us all the time and place you saw the buses and under what circumstances... PROVE YOU were there and saw it with your own eyes and that you aren't reacting to someone elses post... or shut your trap ... because what you're doing to the entire organization is far worse than holding accountable a few guys who made stupid decisions. A TOTALLY CLASSLESS ACT indeed...

A few guys??? There was a crowd of Scouts standing outside of our buses semifinals night and thirty is a very, very conservative estimate.

AGAIN... PROVE THIS... tell us all where YOU were standing when you saw all this unfold and happen. Especially the part where Scout members went and stole uniforms and trashed buses... PROVE THIS. Let's see the police report or get a statement from the Crossmen's corps director.

The only thing very wrong here is the fact two or three people would write such letter slandering the corps with nothing that proves their charges.

Where was I standing? On the Crossmen brass bus, Wynne motor coach number 114, with the six other brass bus ageouts. Six of us had uniforms on, and one did not. Six of us found our uniforms hanging on our hangers when we got on the bus, and one did not. His was the front seat on the bus. . . it must have been easy to just hop on and grab it. They had the same buses as us, too, so they must've known how to turn the battery on so they could open the front door.

This is not heresy. The uniform was returned to us by people from the Madison Scouts organization. I'm still in awe at the events of the last week. I lost some respect for Madison when they stole capes and aussies from us in 2007, lost a little bit more in 2008 when they sent text messages to members threatening to do the same thing again during finals week, and I lost any last ounce of respect I had for that organization with what happened this week.

Classless. Completely classless.

Edited by TSRTS13

I got some major issues with people if they are stealing coats but flipping people off?Flip back or better yet,,let the games begin.

And if coats were stolen,,a beat down needs to commence on the offending parties.

I'm really hoping we get a statement about this from someone reliable. All signs say this actually happened, but I'm really hoping I see a statement on the website or something from Dann like how the Bluecoats did last year after the retreat debacle.

Someone reliable? How am I NOT someone reliable? I WAS THERE. On the buses. I saw it happen. With my own two eyes. Next to the person whose uniform was stolen (and I can get a statement from him if you really want me to), I'm the most reliable source there is.

Having been tangentially involved for the past few years, I think it boils down to these few things:

~ Uniforms are cool but don't make up for a poorly designed show.

~ They need to get rid of the poorly designed shows.

~ Bad behaviour isn't surprising when you have a good portion of the staff that are undisciplined and disrespectful to the members and volunteers.

~ They really need to get their staffing situation in check because from what I can see, the guys aren't able to get better because they frequently receive contradictory instruction from the different instructors. The techs work and work and then have their successes undone by designers sweeping in from out of town to "fix" things. The big-shots may be big names with great awards with other corps but if they can't put in the time, I say don't put them under contract at all.

~ I sure hope Chris Komnick has a thick skin cause there's more vitriol to come from all sides as they work these problems out over the next few years. And I'm really hoping they can work them out.

The 90s started the decline of the Madison Scouts.Highest placement was 4th and that was in 95.

In the 00's their best placement was in 05 and that was with the Carmen Project.Their highest place was 6th.

Point is that Madisons problems have been around for a long time and cannot be blamed on just any one staff member.

Don't count them out though.Troopers are back on the rebound.The broke into finals this year and that is after going inactive in 06.

Scouts could and probably should go inactive for a season,recoup get their bankroll built up then make a run for it.

Edited by camel lips