Cadets spring training report

I hesitate to write this, but...here goes.

I went down to Johnstown today to check out spring training. Got there during sectionals, hung around a lot, got to watch ensemble.

I'm not going to say a lot about performance level because it is so early and statements like "This is the best corps I've ever seen in spring training" and so forth usually end up looking foolish (I have never visited a corps at spring training, actually). So I will try to stick with the facts.

The colorguard is huge; I counted 39.

The hornline is written for 72; they had 67 on hand today according to my count. 13 tubas (out of 14), 13 mellos (I'm guessing out of 14), 21 trumpets, 8 euphoniums and 12 baritones. 12 of the tubas are Cadets vets and another one has extensive corps experience.

Drumline is 9 snares, 5 tenors, 5 basses. No holes.

The pit is massive, numbering 15. Four marimbas, four vibraphones, a xylophone, timpani, drum set, 2 rack players (concert bass, gong, bongos, etc. etc), a MalletKat and a synthesizer. The MalletKat and synthesizers seem to be the biggest, most top-of-the-line models available. I know the synth is a Yamaha MOTIF, for those of you that know about these things. It was about 3 times the size of the ones I've seen in other corps camp videos. The pit writing was very tasty and tasteful IMHO.

For those of you keeping track, 40 guard + 72 brass + 19 battery + 15 pit + 2 drum majors = 148 members. Maybe that will be the final number, maybe they'll add a couple more guard or something.

117 sets of drill are on the field...which only covers the opener and "ballad" at this point. This seems like an awful lot of drill at this point. I say "ballad" in quotes because much of it is in double time, which makes it 196 bpm. :peek: The show is pretty much in the aggressive, no-real-ballad style of 2007, 2008, 2003. The opener has been described as the most insane since 2006.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went down to Johnstown today to check out spring training. Got there during sectionals, hung around a lot, got to watch ensemble.

I'm not going to say a lot about performance level because it is so early and statements like "This is the best corps I've ever seen in spring training" and so forth usually end up looking foolish (I have never visited a corps at spring training, actually). So I will try to stick with the facts.

The hornline is written for 72; they had 67 on hand today according to my count. 13 tubas (out of 14), 13 mellos (I'm guessing out of 14), 21 trumpets, 8 euphoniums and 12 baritones. 12 of the tubas are Cadets vets and another one has extensive corps experience.

The pit is massive, numbering 15. Four marimbas, four vibraphones, a xylophone, timpani, drum set, 2 rack players (concert bass, gong, bongos, etc. etc), a MalletKat and a synthesizer. The MalletKat and synthesizers seem to be the biggest, most top-of-the-line models available. I know the synth is a Yamaha MOTIF, for those of you that know about these things. It was about 3 times the size of the ones I've seen in other corps camp videos. The pit writing was very tasty and tasteful IMHO.

For those of you keeping track, 40 guard + 72 brass + 19 battery + 15 pit + 2 drum majors = 148 members. Maybe that will be the final number, maybe they'll add a couple more guard or something.

117 sets of drill are on the field...which only covers the opener and "ballad" at this point. This seems like an awful lot of drill at this point. I say "ballad" in quotes because much of it is in double time, which makes it 196 bpm. :peek: The show is pretty much in the aggressive, no-real-ballad style of 2007, 2008, 2003. The opener has been described as the most insane since 2006.

Even though you feel like you have to hesitate to post an update, thanks a lot for sharing it.

DCPs favorite question with a camp / Everydays review...

Did you get any pictures?

Thank you :) Your report has satisfied my curiosity to what's going on in [Holy Name] spring training. I think Rudy is getting sick of my text messages that always ask...."how much is on the field"? I did however hear from one of the kids (tuba player) report that the opener is just as you describe it INSANE; which makes me very excited. I look forward to another year of volunteering and also making my daily reports from tour.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

really excited to see this show.