New study: corps & band => sports injuries

Here is my reply to Mr. Rome:

Dear Mr. Rome,

It has come to my attention that you do not consider the marching arts to be a sport. I couldn’t agree more. You will rarely find the type of narcissistic, self centered, me first culture that is exemplified by most athletes in a major college sports program, in the marching arts. Thank you for seeing this so clearly.

While I understand that your worship of all things sports is derived from your own feelings of physical and psychological inadequacy, and that indeed, you are only trying to attain some type of vicarious sense of worth by hanging with athletes; I would like to offer an alternative path to salvation for you. It is as follows:

Locate the nearest all age drum corps in your area. Approach them about learning to play percussion with the goal of marching bass drum # 5. Please make sure it is bass drum # 5, unless they have a bass drum # 6 of course. I am sorry to inform you that drum corps stopped marching timpani many years ago, or this would be the perfect fit for you. you may however, substitute a set of tenors (the nice, light Dynasty's would be best) if you like.

Once you have mastered "crabbing" at 180 bpm for 3-4 minutes straight (to be repeated many times over during coordination) while playing rolling passages as part of a larger “split-part” whole, you will be ready. I know that with your athletic prowess, this should only take you an hour or two at best to learn. Once you have mastered this, I know you will find nirvana.

Again, thank you for not confusing the marching arts as sports. I think I can speak for all of us in the marching arts in saying that there is not place for (insert name of criminal or reprehensible public behavior here) in the marching arts.

(Oh, by the way, did you hear the one about the Madison Scouts helping to save the town of Baraboo, WI from flooding by working all day to help sand bag the town last year? No, I thought not)

Here is the wonderful response I got back.

Thanks for writing The Jim Rome Show.

Here's a message from our sponsor, 5 Hour Energy

Why do energy drinks make you crash? It's all the sugar and caffeine. 5-Hour Energy has zero sugar and just enough caffeine for hours of energy with no crash later.

You can send your own response to:

rome@havetake.com

got the same things

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come to think of it, the jocks in high schol never really cared what I had to say, either. Is anyone surprised this guy is giving you the cold shoulder?

I'm still making music at the age of 50 while most of those jocks are sitting in front of the TV with a 6 pack watching someone else play sports.

I'm still making music at the age of 50 while most of those jocks are sitting in front of the TV with a 6 pack watching someone else play sports.

completely out of shape

Since nobody mentioned it, aside from his impressive academic/professional creditials, Gary Granata, the physiologist who did the study, marched in Bayonne's drumline back around '79-'80. So he's got drum corps street cred as well.

As for Jim Rome ... loud-mouthed d-bag. Nothing more to say.

Edited by DCIHasBeen