New study: corps & band => sports injuries

I found out about the study when this thread first started, but didn't find out about Jim Rome's take on it until just now. I listen to him whenever I can (which isn't often because I work when his radio show is on), but missed yesterday of course.

Here is a link to his website where you can read his take.

http://www.jimrome.com/home/articles/article_3.html

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found out about the study when this thread first started, but didn't find out about Jim Rome's take on it until just now. I listen to him whenever I can (which isn't often because I work when his radio show is on), but missed yesterday of course.

Here is a link to his website where you can read his take.

http://www.jimrome.com/home/articles/article_3.html

i can agree with the basic point of rome's point that football, and most other sports, is more physically demanding than band or corps, on any level. What is more difficult? That is a competely different story... It is hard to say this, however, because Rome comes off as a macho tool who can say big tough words behind a desk and a microphone. I think we should send Rome money on a trip to a Cavie or PR or Crown rehearsal site and let him say those big tough words to all 180 some of them.

Okay, Jim Rome is an a-hole, we all agree. Chill out. But it'd be easy to take a jab at a study that concluded that band is on the same level as major athletics because kids said they were "frequently tired".

Some publicity here:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/195762-...e-art-and-sport

The stereotype plays out where the "band" is ridiculed by the football team. The quarterback is never in the band room, the painter is never in the weight room, but the musician...the musician, I have found, has become the bridge between what we consider "art" and "sport" making them one in the same.

Nicely put. It's great to see a "sports" guy with good things to say about this activity.

Here's something interesting... I played football (O-line) my freshman year with Kyle Turley. I quit my sophmore year because I became the Drum Major, he went on to play in the NFL and make the pro bowl. We wound up getting the same injury as adults: ruptured lumbar disks. Gotta love a lifetime of tuba playing vs smashing into 300lbs defenders.

Gotta love a lifetime of tuba playing vs smashing into 300lbs defenders.

Seems to me that playing tuba (or any brass) well while sitting in a chair take a certain amount of physical effort. Doing it while running.....

I've worked with several programs that had marching members who did both that and football (some even in Texas). More often then not, the members said football was easier. Even had a student who was rather lazy and ended up quitting band because he didnt have to work as hard on the football team (and was first string).

Its all relative...

the link takes me to Manny Ramirez what did it say?