New study: corps & band => sports injuries

Did anyone see Jim Rome take a huge swipe at this today on ESPN, specifically singling out "drum corps guy"?

Arrogant #####... :blink:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just saw it. That's what Jim Rome does, though. He talks smack because that's what gets him attention. The only positive words he had in the entire show were for Rodney Harrison, and that's because HGHarrison talked smack as well.

I just watched Jim Rome mention this study on his show today. Now, as much as I love marching band and drum corps, and I certainly didn't care for how Jim presented this (very smug and condescending), I do have to say that I agree more with him.

That study is fine and all, and we know how hard some of these groups work. He even mentioned the "drum corps guy" knowing full well that what they do is even more physical and demanding, so I didn't take that as a cut down. I saw that as Jim Rome knowing the difference between band and corps, at least to some degree.

But he is right. As hard as we work in this activity, band and corps, your top D1 athletes, especially in football (for which the comparison was made) have to work out all year. Their conditioning is much more detailed and brutal. They are getting their you know what kicked in on a daily basis. The speeds they must hit to run their route, make the catch, run the ball, or stay with their man are just ridiculous. Getting sacked and thrown on your butt 6 to 10 times a game, or getting slammed to the ground by a lineman, hitting speeds of 4.4 (40 yard dash) to run or catch a pass is a totally different thing, and you don't do it for 11.5 minutes, you do it for 60 minutes (game time).

Spring training for drum corps is certainly at a new level and very physical, but 2-a-days at Ohio State or USC or Florida is something of a different beast, and I doubt most band kids could or would want to take part.

What Rome doesn't say, however, and where the comparison must emphasize the differences is this: it takes a lot of talent to play a musical instrument, twirl a flag, dance, drum, and march. The tempo, rhythms, complex themes, orchestration, tuning, use of body in a balletic way, and so much more is what makes marching band and drum corps so unique and fun, and challenging. But true division 1 athletes these kids are not. Yes, we can point to a few who might be. great! But overall, we are more about talent and art, and they are more about physical power and speed. There are some similarities, but the differences are obvious to most...I would think!

JW

Edited by jwillis35

He even mentioned the "drum corps guy" knowing full well that what they do is even more physical and demanding, so I didn't take that as a cut down. I saw that as Jim Rome knowing the difference between band and corps, at least to some degree.

I took it differently, as probably a reaction to someone who had been e-mailing on this topic, likely explaining the difference between competitive drum corps and exhibition marching, and likely pointing that the hardest work is done at the DCI World Class level.

I wonder who that was, maybe a fellow DCP member...?