The "Perfect" Show

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously, there has never been a recorded score of 100.00 in DCI history; but there are some shows that are held on a higher pedestal. Higher than champions and innovators and even higher than our own personal favorites. These shows have it all. superior music, spectacular drill, and just the right group of marchers to make it all click. Even in some of our personal favorites, there are those little spots that we could do without. In these shows, though, there isn't a single moment you'd insert or take away.

Which shows would you consider to be "perfect"?

I'd have to say (as I did in another thread) the '84 Garfield Cadets had, without a doubt, a perfect show. The show had a wide range of emotions and really got the essence of West Side Story. Of course, George Zingali provided excellent drill that suited the show perfectly; and, at least on Finals Night, the Cadets made magic. It's been 25 years since this show debuted; but it still has the effect it did all those years ago. Even non-drum corps fans enjoy it.

Interesting... '84 Cadets is still my favorite show and corps.

Having said that, I firmly believe that if the "tick" system (which I oppose and opposed) were still in effect they would not have won that night - BD would have.

Even "perfect" is subjective, ultimately. (as are, of course, opinions like mine).

Interesting... '84 Cadets is still my favorite show and corps.

Having said that, I firmly believe that if the "tick" system (which I oppose and opposed) were still in effect they would not have won that night - BD would have.

That is VERY true.

As entertaining as those Bridgemen shows were, they were far enough away from perfect to be placed outside of my top 10.

Although '78 is one of my all time favorites from an entertainment perspective.

I still go back to BD 1980.

They were so good, so controlled and so powerful.

Pre-Zingali and the huge drill changes starting in '83 this BD show has always been for me the pinnacle of the evolution of the original "old school" DCI style.(whatever I mean by that...)

Many BD folks choose '82 in these kinds of discussions.

And if the tick system were still in place, DCI as we know it would probably not exist.

There is a big difference between "avoiding making a mistake" and "striving for greatness". But I guess that is another thread.

Perfect Shows? Since it is subjective, I'll list the ones I watch over and over.

Garfield 84

Garfield 87

SCV 87

Star of Indiana 92

Cadets 05

Phantom 05

Phantom 08

I think I get what wcf is getting at - a show that grips you from start to finish with no weak points or lesser moments. The kind where 10 minutes passes in a flash. Yeah, certainly 'perfect' is in the eye of the beholder. To me, it means a 'perfect' balance of emotion, sophistication, and accessibility, and a 'perfectly' unified yet contrasting program that builds and builds in musical and dramatic tension... higher ... faster ... louder... until... until.... yes.... yesssssss... : that perfect moment of musical and dramatic ..ummm.. release. :thumbs-up:

Certainly '84 Cadets is the top of the list.

Others (mostly the usual suspects):

BAC '00

Several Phantom years including '89, '96, '06, others that come close.

SCV '85,'99,'04

Spirit '80

Suncoast '85

I think I get what wcf is getting at - a show that grips you from start to finish with no weak points or lesser moments. The kind where 10 minutes passes in a flash. Yeah, certainly 'perfect' is in the eye of the beholder. To me, it means a 'perfect' balance of emotion, sophistication, and accessibility, and a 'perfectly' unified yet contrasting program that builds and builds in musical and dramatic tension... higher ... faster ... louder... until... until.... yes.... yesssssss... : that perfect moment of musical and dramatic ..ummm.. release. :thumbs-up:

Certainly '84 Cadets is the top of the list.

Others (mostly the usual suspects):

BAC '00

Several Phantom years including '89, '96, '06, others that come close.

SCV '85,'99,'04

Spirit '80

Suncoast '85

This is an interesting thread, because subjectivity is the heart of what we do. If there were a cut and dry answer to these questions there'd be no need for DCP - just the Scores section on DCI.org or DCACorps.org.

I just went to my daughter's piano recital - been doing it for years - it really comes down to what you feel in that moment while your daughter, your son, your corps, yourself is/are on the stage/field. The live music element - the perfection of the moment. I love BAC '00 (some of you know my daughter was out there - not the piano one) but I can't imagine it being remembered as a perfect show, or corps in the context of this discussion, but for me that night in Maryland, and apparently for you too, it was perfect. At the end of "Time to Say Goodbye" a song I don't ever particularly like, I was standing there crying like a baby.

And each of us has so much invested in those "perfect" moments - the time we've spent with that corps, the time we've spent as fans of that corps - parents - staff - volunteers - etc. etc. etc. and sometimes the years it took to get to that "perfect" night.

Someone mentioned '78 Bayonne, which was a wonderful and challenging year - but when I'm 94 and I have trouble remembering where I left my teeth, I'll remember Martin Tennessee in '78 with Bayonne, and the beautiful New Moon overhead with Venus, I think, almost inside the crescent, and an incredible audience, and an ncredible judges panel, Prime Sr., Sandra Opie, and others, and an incredible bunch of kids.

Some nights, some shows, are just perfect because they are.

Just to name a few of my favorites............

1974 SCV

1975 Scouts

1976 BD

1982 BD

1984 Garfield

1987 SCV

1989 Phantom

1999 SCV

2000 Cavaliers