Saw Synthesizers for the First Time in DCI Tonight

Did you complain about the Feedback and other issues back when the amps were controlled by the members?

Are you suggesting that because something doesn't work within the premise of a YOUTH competetive movement, we open it up to the adults to correct what the kids do during performances?

If you need a staff member controlling the sound quality from the sidelines, maybe the amplification doesn't belong in the activity in the first place...

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you suggesting that because something doesn't work within the premise of a YOUTH competetive movement, we open it up to the adults to correct what the kids do during performances?

If you need a staff member controlling the sound quality from the sidelines, maybe the amplification doesn't belong in the activity in the first place...

or maybe members cant hear how loud it is because the speakers are in front of them that they have someone thats in front of the speakers that can tell how loud it is fix it balancing them with the brass and percussion.

Did you complain about the Feedback and other issues back when the amps were controlled by the members?

i did

or maybe members cant hear how loud it is because the speakers are in front of them that they have someone thats in front of the speakers that can tell how loud it is fix it balancing them with the brass and percussion.

or, like we do for indoor, we run a quick sound check, set the levels and go.

I am saying that, When you go to see a band play, The sound guy sits out front for a reason. Take it from a sound guy.

Id much rather have some guy adjusting it, in front. Than a member doing it from the pit, who cant hear what he needs to be hearing.

A lot of this is rehash of the amp discussion a few years back.

My problem is that when the musical production is affected by errors in the sound coming out of horns or battery, there's an explicit rubric on which to take those problems into account with scoring. Popping/tweeting/shrieking amps and sudden cutouts from amps that affect the entire musical production don't have an explicit place in any rubric when it comes to scoring...and those things are far more disruptive to me in the stands than phasing throughout a show from a hornline, or stickouts by individuals. It's just not right to me.

It would make sense for synths to be judged along with battery, but we'll see if that actually happens. I am dubious.

or, like we do for indoor, we run a quick sound check, set the levels and go.

Indoor is a little different Beast.

My problem is that when the musical production is affected by errors in the sound coming out of horns or battery, there's an explicit rubric on which to take those problems into account with scoring. Popping/tweeting/shrieking amps and sudden cutouts from amps that affect the entire musical production don't have an explicit place in any rubric when it comes to scoring...and those things are far more disruptive to me in the stands than phasing throughout a show from a hornline, or stickouts by individuals. It's just not right to me.

What he said!

Indoor is a little different Beast.

exactly...like a concert...a controlled environment.

and Lance...not having anything on the sheets is their way of saying "you dont have to use it", because if it ends up on the sheets, it's an implied requirement.

how many do not use amps?

few if any, and guess what, amplification is on at least one sheet.

but synth balance can not be judged from field level. if youare standing right there, with the speakers in front of you, you can not even be remotely be able to discuss balance properly, it has to be done from upstairs