Blue Stars 2009

Obviously there is some history here that is now being hashed out in PM's. Sorry for putting that in everyone's face.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well all I can say is I haven't seen their show at all, and It's absolutely fantastic!!! Top 6 for sure! :thumbup:

I'm real hopeful for the Blue Stars this year. They really won me over last year with their show. I think the main cheese factor from their show in '06 was due to the narration...if this year's show lacks that, I think it will be a lot more accessible.

I'll put up a more detailed review of everyone I see in Dubuque, for now here's some thoughts on '09 Blue Stars. The first minute and a half Blue Stars show in 08 was one of my favorite parts of drum corps last year. Part one of The Factory, IMO had some real challenges to being a better opening statement than Le Tour. Quite frankly, The Factory wins hands down. Without question, every section of the corps is improved from last season, most notably the percussion, and the corps is much more challenged than they were with Le Tour from a design standpoint. There is a recurring musical theme that shows up throughout the performance which does a nice job of tying the entire production together. Ballad is extremely emotional, IMO is one of the most beautifully written pieces that Frank Sullivan has ever put on the field, and Brad Green has a relatively young horn line (only 4 age outs out of 72 this year) playing it extremely well. The synth parts are throughout the show, but barely noticeable except for three parts. An air raid sirin, the presidents announcement of the attack on pearl harbor, and an exposed piano part in the closer. Overall I felt it added significantly to the show, and was no way comparable to the annoyance I've experienced with most of the narration corps have done in the last few years. There is a lot of props, but hey, they literally put a factory on the field and the guard is a constant visual treat. It's one of those shows you'd have to see at least 3 or 4 times to ever hope to catch everything. There were a couple of staging things I would have liked to see different, the tenors get a bit lost amongst the tables during their feature, and I'd much prefer to see the final statement from the corps occur up close and personal right behind the pit, but as with years past I'm sure there will be rewrites that will positively impact the show.

Predictions?

Hrothgar will love this show.

Blue Stars will easily be in top 12 again, where they place is awful hard to guess at given I haven't seen any other shows. One thing is for sure, they will entertain the pants off of a LOT of people this summer.

One other thing. I've always been extremely opposed to the inclusion of woodwinds in drum corps, and guess what..........I STILL AM!!!!

With that said the piece they've added for the encore performance , Rhapsody in Blue, is extremely entertaining and features a clarinetist who is nothing short of brilliant. Don't knock it until you've sat and checked it out and had your face destroyed by the Blue Stars brassline (I think I have bruises).

Edited by BozzlyB

Hmmm..I’ll see them tomorrow night if the rain holds off and decide for myself, it was pretty obvious last year at the first show that they were going to be good

Maybe I’ll let you folks know what I think

I didn’t like their 2006 offering at all

Predictions?

Hrothgar will love this show.

Loving what I'm seeing (or, more importantly, hearing) so far. :tongue:

Basically after last year's show alone they've quickly become one of my favorite corps.

Also, I love how I have such a presence on this forum. :thumbup:

Edited by Hrothgar15

from what I have heard from my friends are nothing but good so far

and from the Video on the lacrosse tribune website they look really good for this time of the year I need to go see them next weekend

Video here

la crosse tribune look on lower right side

what up bozz and miller !

Edited by bscontra

from what I have heard from my friends are nothing but good so far

and from the Video on the lacrosse tribune website they look really good for this time of the year I need to go see them next weekend

Video here

la crosse tribune look on lower right side

what up bozz and miller !

Dude you SO better march the Oktoberfest parade this year!!!!