Anna's-nap-less Night- DCI Annapolis 6/20

It appears the season... along with the trash talking... has officially begun.

And while I can't necessarily disagree with some of the criticism Crown's show is receiving (keep in mind, I think they should've beat Holy Name on Saturday), I'd be more inclined to buy into their show if what they were doing (body movement, song selection, etc) made a bit more sense. I don't know if they're trying to tell a story or not.

I'm sure it may take some more viewings. Guess I was just expecting something more literal... in the vein they've been running in for the past few years.

I have to disagree with you there. While I agree that Crown's show is pretty good, I definitely think Cadets had the better show. I think the point spread should have been wider between Cadets and Crown but we'll never know. While I can admit that Crown's show has the potential to catch Cadets, Cadets show also has the potential to be one of their best yet.

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to disagree with you there. While I agree that Crown's show is pretty good, I definitely think Cadets had the better show. I think the point spread should have been wider between Cadets and Crown but we'll never know. While I can admit that Crown's show has the potential to catch Cadets, Cadets show also has the potential to be one of their best yet.

Widely ranging opinions on exactly the same shows! Gotta love it.

I agree with the scoring so far; I think Cadets should be beating Crown because they are cleaner right now. And I think the margin (~1 pt) bodes well for Crown passing Cadets in the not-too-distant future; the cream team is very, very dirty visually. Cadets are making things happen already. How that all plays out is why there's show every night! Will Cadets be able to take advantage of their lead in cleanliness or will Crown start getting credit for content as it gets cleaner?

Only the shadow (and his little slip of yellow paper) knows !!

----

mike

Edited by corpsband

Widely ranging opinions on exactly the same shows! Gotta love it.

I agree with the scoring so far; I think Cadets should be beating Crown because they are cleaner right now. And I think the margin (~1 pt) bodes well for Crown passing Cadets in the not-too-distant future; the cream team is very, very dirty visually. Cadets are making things happen already. How that all plays out is why there's show every night! Will Cadets be able to take advantage of their lead in cleanliness or will Crown start getting credit for content as it gets cleaner?

Only the shadow (and his little slip of yellow paper) knows !!

----

mike

Cadets will be able to take advantage of their lead in cleanliness (and they are not that clean anyway). Once the show starts to click, then we'll see what happens.

My reason for putting Crown ahead of HNC was primarily due to the phasing/timing issues I heard. Now, maybe I'm just not familiar with the music enough, but it really didn't sound like that's what Bocook wrote. It was to the point, for me at least, that I stopped focusing on the show and immediately started worrying if they'd recover from the tear.

Crown I felt did better with what they have at this point.

Also, as far as the spread goes, keep in mind that Crown went on after Cadets.

My reason for putting Crown ahead of HNC was primarily due to the phasing/timing issues I heard. Now, maybe I'm just not familiar with the music enough, but it really didn't sound like that's what Bocook wrote. It was to the point, for me at least, that I stopped focusing on the show and immediately started worrying if they'd recover from the tear.

Crown I felt did better with what they have at this point.

Also, as far as the spread goes, keep in mind that Crown went on after Cadets.

There was some light phasing with cadets...nothing major that I heard. There were some hard ensemble moments built in that should be impressive if they can pull them off. I heard no real phasing with crown, but i also didnt know the parts as well.

There was some light phasing with cadets...nothing major that I heard. There were some hard ensemble moments built in that should be impressive if they can pull them off. I heard no real phasing with crown, but i also didnt know the parts as well.

Maybe I was just freaking out more than I needed to... :)

Regardless... this should be one interesting summer. I just wish we could get some more variety in the line-ups. Cadets and Crown are at every show together. East won't meet West until San Antonio.

.... That's too long for me to wait to see how corps match up with the same panel.

Maybe I was just freaking out more than I needed to... :)

Regardless... this should be one interesting summer. I just wish we could get some more variety in the line-ups. Cadets and Crown are at every show together. East won't meet West until San Antonio.

.... That's too long for me to wait to see how corps match up with the same panel.

just the first couple of shows

Honestly, I do see a little BD 08, Star 93, Cadets 87, Cavies 07 etc... in Crowns show but, That's not a bad thing. Maybe a design team is influenced by surroundings. I'm sure at the end of the season when Crown is clean and everything is connected and flowing the last thing on anybody's mind will be similarities to other corps. Go Crown!

I hope so. That's all I heard/saw from them last year, but I guess to some extent, that was the point of their show.

My main concern with Crown isn't the "boosting" other corps' material (musically and/or visually), at least not at first. As they've been moving up the ranks, it was kinda' like a younger brother imitating his older sibling, (for lack of a better analogy), and it was cute and people loved it. Well... now Crown is an older sibling. They've proven they can hang with the grown-ups (again, no offense to ANY corps, just keeping with the analogy) and it feels to me that they're struggling a bit to find their own identity.

And, IMO, the will not win a championship until they do so.