Musical Cop-Out

42 pages - in two days! Must be some kind of record.

I haven't read through ALL 42 pages, so forgive me if I'm restating something. Just two thoughts:

Yeah...after 42 pages, most everything at this point is repetitive, but that's fine. We're all on here to some degree because we have nothing more important to do. For me, I write in between family visits and meals.

Spirit is not the boogey-man...that's for sure! But, they are the visible embodiment of the rule (at least for now) and it's a lot easier to discuss something tangible versus some stiff (like I'm one to talk) sitting somewhere promoting rules that are disfiguring drum corps.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Third thought:

I obviously don't see Spirit copping out by using a bass (which rules allow) in a show with a rock-band theme - despite the fact that I don't agree with the rule that allows it.

BUT

The real musical cop-out would have been to synthesize a contra sound to fill a percieved lack in that section's volume.

Third thought:

I obviously don't see Spirit copping out by using a bass (which rules allow) in a show with a rock-band theme - despite the fact that I don't agree with the rule that allows it.

BUT

The real musical cop-out would have been to synthesize a contra sound to fill a percieved lack in that section's volume.

Okay...let's assume that the bass is not doubling up the contra parts (I will say, that I was at the standstill in Rockford, and I was pretty darn sure that they were using it that way), don't you think that adding more "bottom end" is still effectively giving the corps a "bigger" sound than is "normal"?

Furthermore, since there is nothing in the rules that says they it wouldn't be a violation to double up the contra part, then why not? For those who argue FOR electronics, would this be a game changer?

Okay, so now that you've said "I honestly don't wish any ill on Spirit other than this...I have to hope that they suffer competitively because of their use of the guitars, upright bass, whatever. The only deterrent to future use is a failed experiment." ... If you want a corps to fail--remember it could be failure for the last time and all because you were being stubborn. The top 12 won't be so sweet when there are only 11 corps able to compete now will it. Don't wish failure to prove your point please--that doesn't help the activity either.

Stop being so dramatic. The poster merely said that if a corps, Spirit or otherwise, cops out and takes the EASY route, then they should get a lower score than a corps who takes on the bigger challenge.

It's no different than saying the kid who studies less in high school should, on the whole, get a lower grade.

Intersting to call out Spirit only on this as there are many other corps that are using synths to acheive the same "musical cop-out" that you are discussing.

Apologies ahead of time if this has already been answered (replying to post #2 without having read the rest of the thread yet)....but just how many other corps are using synths in that same manner?

(And how many of them were at the same show with Spirit?)

Stop being so dramatic. The poster merely said that if a corps, Spirit or otherwise, cops out and takes the EASY route, then they should get a lower score than a corps who takes on the bigger challenge.

It's no different than saying the kid who studies less in high school should, on the whole, get a lower grade.

I feel badly for Spirit that it was their picture that was posted first - I'm sure if it had been any other corps the discussion would have gone exactly the same way.

But yes - I too hope this experiment fails for any corps that tries it. I should say "these experiments" to cover the micced brass rule, as well as the narration etc question. I'd be quite happy to see them all just go away. I'd be back in the stands.

Apologies ahead of time if this has already been answered (replying to post #2 without having read the rest of the thread yet)....but just how many other corps are using synths in that same manner?

(And how many of them were at the same show with Spirit?)

A question I asked elsewhere, and sorry if I missed a response, are there any corps that are not using synths in one form or another?

Ahem - one of the 7 people that was at annapolis here...

Colts used bass sythns on just about all their major impacts. I only heard the tubas once the entire show, during a section feature, and yes, I hated it. That said, it was the first big stadium show, so I'll them a chance to fix the balance, but in concept I think the idea is awful.

{I obviously don't see Spirit copping out by using a bass (which rules allow) in a show with a rock-band theme - despite the fact that I don't agree with the rule that allows it. }

I draw the line on bass in Drum Corps. That would stink.

NO FISH !

Edited by BRASSO

{I obviously don't see Spirit copping out by using a bass (which rules allow) in a show with a rock-band theme - despite the fact that I don't agree with the rule that allows it. }

I draw the line on bass in Drum Corps. That would stink.

NO FISH !

I think you may have missed the part of my post where I said that I don't agree either, but as we stand here today - that is the rule.