Meaningless standings after the first full night of competiton

Everyone seems to have forgotten Seattle Cascades, aren't they back after a year off?

July 2nd, Eugene,Oregon show Is Cascades first show.

Edited by Zeke

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because some people like to do it. No one is forcing you to read the thread.

Sheesh. Some are a little testy this beautiful fathers day morning.

Sheesh. Some are a little testy this beautiful fathers day morning.

Not at all. But when you hear the same thing year in and year out on this board ("why do we have score threads, I personally believe we shouldn't, etc. etc."), it gets monotonous.

Yeah it's the first night, and yeah the west coast scores are probably a bit inflated, but it's what we got, and just for fun, here are the unofficial standings.

1.Blue Devils 76.100

2.Holy Name Cadets 75.300

3.The Cavaliers 75.100

4.Carolina Crown 74.500

5.SC Vanguard 74.200

6.Phantom Regiment 72.700

7.Boston Crusaders 70.300

8.Glassmen 67.100

9.Blue Stars 66.200

10.The Academy 66.000

11.Mandarins 63.800

12.Madison Scouts 63.700

-----------------------------------

13.Spirit 63.700

14.Colts 63.700

15.Pacific Crest 63.200

Shouldn't Colts and Spirit also be marked as part of the top 12 with a 63.7? Yea....for pointless standings! where do other people see Crossmen, Blue Knights, Bluecoats fitting into the standings? Just a logical guess is all I'm looking for!

Why bother keep score at all? According to this thread we need to let them all practice at home until August and then meet on one ginormous evening and have it out! Retitle this thread: "My corps didn't score best so I declare it inflated and useless" They're called "Standings" people, every sport has them. So according to your logic... if a runner in Florida runs the fastest time nationally but he didn't run against the 2nd place runner in the standings who is from NY .. it doesn't count? You need to find a group therapy for the "disappointed" or you're going to have a looooooong season! :sad:

I understand your point, but the analogy doesn't work. Running is a timed sport. It's not a subjective enterprise. If you run the fastest time, it doesn't matter if you ran the fastest time in a meet in Los Angeles or in New York or in Kenya. In running, there is no judgement by a judge. You run against a clock. The clock has 60 seconds everywhere. So the record of the time at different venues can legitimately be made. A Drum Corps judgment is, by contrast, a throughly subjective endeavor. It's a judged event. Different judges might come to diifferent evaluations based upon the same show before them. And when it's a completely different panel judging a comparison between completely diiferent mix of Corps, the scores are meaningless between different Corps at different venues.

That said, it's fun to compare anyway knowing this. And the OP correctly stated it's " meaningless ". So if people are getting worked up about something that is " meaningless" and it was stated and understood as such, then what does that tell you about people that are now taking this thread too seriously ?....... and after the first show in June, no less ?

Crusaders have come out of the gate STRONG. Could they possibly break into the top 6 this year?

Shouldn't Colts and Spirit also be marked as part of the top 12 with a 63.7? Yea....for pointless standings! where do other people see Crossmen, Blue Knights, Bluecoats fitting into the standings? Just a logical guess is all I'm looking for!

Wouldn't it be cool to have a 3 way tie for 12th at Semis? 14 corps in Finals, yeah!

According to the schedule on DCI's website, BK's first show is Tuesday 6/23 and that is also Bluecoats first judged show due to Friday's rainout.

My bad man, I looked again and you are right. Thank you for correcting me.

Crusaders have come out of the gate STRONG. Could they possibly break into the top 6 this year?

In terms of spread, they're about where they were last year on opening night. Scores in general this first week have so far been around 3 points higher than last year's starting scores.