Bias and acceptance of "change" . . .

i think if there was a corps i had a vested interest in, it would be harder to take

I have always thought that electronics should be limited to "sound effects", and should not be used for amplification, for narration, or for "supplementing" a section during a judged, competitive show. I also don't like the idea of non-drums and bugles (or brass, in this case)" in a competitive show. For encores, retreats, exhibitions, etc., anything goes.

LOL, though about the home team favoritism while reading the thread about Cadets needing to find a new accountant(?).

Back On Topic: Had the experience when my old corps sang a verse of a song to close their show in the 1980s. Hated every freakin' second of it but gave them a "golf clap" when the song was done. Hated it more because it was my old crew doing it....

Out of all the new threads so far this season, it's been interesting to observe that many people are more accepting of the new electronic rules since their "home team" is using them.

What is "tasteful" differs across the spectrum, but mostly seems to come down across alumni and home team lines so far.

This brings up some questions:

1. Do you find it easier to accept these changes when your corps (or a corps you are a big fan of) is the one doing it? Think about the more talked about shows the past few seasons that used new rules in noticable ways . . . e.g. BAC 2004, Cadets 2006, Spirit 2009, others. . .

2. Has anyone who was vehemently against the electronics stuff changed their mind due to what their home team/old corps did with the rule? Was it someone on staff or members who changed your mind, or was it a personal choice?

I realize we don't have anyone around who is truly objective, but I think it might be a good idea to talk about how (and why) this occurs. I know that alumni are going to be quick to defend their corps (and rightfully so), but does it come down to more than that?

Why . . .or why not?

Speaking only for myself (no I am not even remotely objective) the answer to the first question is "it depends." One of the main things that I have looked at when considering a change (in this case the electronics) is "do the kids buy into it?" I really do not care what other people think, whether they are just fams or drum corps alumnus or other parents such as myself, but I want to know that the kids int he corps, and not just mine, are really on board. Because that's what matters. We can discuss all day if this is change will have any more of a negative effect on the activity than any of the other previous changes that have been discussed ad nauseum. As has been pointed out repeatedly in other threads, everyone is entitled to their opinion regardless of background.

One thing we can be assured of: Drum corps today is not like it was in the past and not like it will be in the future. But to assume all the change is bad or that it compromises the activity - well I guess that depends on your perspective.

I have not been a big fan of the amplification and other innovations in DC. I do know that with amplification the contribution the pit instruments make CAN be more significant to the overall product. I know that with using narration or voice effects, it provides a different method of expression. And now with electronics, once again, a different voice or voices can be layered in.

Am I more willing to buy into this because my kid is in the corps that is on the cutting edge of this (and taking the heat - I'll bet G Hopkins is appreciating the break for the time being)? Maybe. All I know is that when my daughter calls me (she's in the pit by the way) she is seriously jazzed about what they are doing and tells me that EVERYONE else in that corps is too.

Enjoy the season!