Thank You 2009 SCV

Could it just come down to the difference between Entertaining and Inspirational? I've seen SCV perform this show live 4 times. I've noticed the crowd reaction is completely different during and after their performance. I wish there was a "crowd cam" where you could see faces as they react to the different shows. After some great performances by other corps, you would see people going nuts - like they just saw something REALLY COOL. When SCV is finished, you'd see a lot of different types of people wiping their eyes - like they just FELT something really strong. I'm not sure I can explain it, but the live SCV show is just - wow...

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm replying to my own post very quickly here. I just watched the show again on fan network and I found myself saying, "heck yeah, they can!" This may not be the most physically demanding visual show, but THIS show is BEAUTIFUL!

Thank you SCV for giving me the tingles! I love you more today than I did before.

Well this might just be my stupid opinion, but this show bores me to tears. The drill is that of a senior corps and the music (although a classic) sounds like a dated arrangement. Sorry it just doesn't push the envelope in any direction. As a matter of fact I am a huge Devils fan and I don't really like their show but they are pushing some limits. The only all around show that does not bore me to death and is practical this year to me is Regiment. Go Phantom!!

Off topic. Hey, Tom Brace. Let's talk offline about helping me/we re-start a drum corps in our neck of the woods :-)

On topic. I thought to be able to feel and see the music was the magic of drum corps? I'll try to get to a contest...

edit: for spelling yikes. one of these days i'll use spellcheck :smile:

Off topic...send me a PM and I'll get back to you.

On topic...hanging right there with Bluecoats tonight...could be a batter straight through the rest of the season...one to watch.

Right.

Because Vanguard has NEVER turned out a show that could be labeled "mild clunker."

*cough cough 1993, 2005 cough cough*

(in all seriousness, I hope they do have some sort of soooper seeekrit plan to wow us all, but lets not pretend that corps staffs are infallible and always know how to put on a great show. i mean, yeah, they know more than you or I know, but they are still not perfect)

as for staying true to the spirit of Martha Graham, my girlfriend is a dance major (master's student...yeah yeah yeah, go ahead, make the joke about advanced degrees in dance, she hears them all the time), and this is her quote (she was with me at the Walnut show, and we've both watched it on FanCast):

"That was not Martha Graham. It's more like Jane Dudley or Pearl Eaton."

I have no idea what that means, but from her tone of voice it doesn't sound good. :-P

Not knowing a darn thing about the world of dance, I'll defer to her on how Martha Grahamesque something is from now on.

actually, with a more mature corps and leadership that was stable from day 1, 93 SCV could have been huge. it just took all summer to get it going

actually, with a more mature corps and leadership that was stable from day 1, 93 SCV could have been huge. it just took all summer to get it going

It's 2009 dude, ride with the tide...good golly...I'd like to say to you; The Poster of All Posts; imo, please read next sentence /sarcasm off

Have a great summer and keep us posted :-) /sincerity on