Thank You 2009 SCV

Let me preface this by saying that I LOVE LOVE LOVE Copeland. The first time I actually cried and wet myself simultaneously during a performance was in 1987 as the Cadets performed the best (IMO) drum corps show ever. If I were marching this year (which would be a very funny sight) I would want to play this show that SCV is playing.

Having said all of that, I ask...even if SCV puts out a show that is better than the 87 Cadets, will they be able to get the score they deserve, or will there constantly be a comparison to Garfield, coupled with the fondness that people have of that show?

It would be like another corps trying to put Phantom of the Opera on the field. It just seems that certain musical books "belong" to certain corps.

I'm looking forward to taking an extra pair or two of underwear to finals this year as I hope that SCV DOES pull it off!

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm replying to my own post very quickly here. I just watched the show again on fan network and I found myself saying, "heck yeah, they can!" This may not be the most physically demanding visual show, but THIS show is BEAUTIFUL!

Thank you SCV for giving me the tingles! I love you more today than I did before.

I think the first time you see this show you won't be able to think anything besides "Garfield 87...Garfield 87...Garfield 87...George Zingali...", just because both shows used all the same music (providing you've seen Garfield 87 before).

But after a few viewings the SCV version is able to stand on its own very well.

That's how it worked for me anyways.

Santa Clara played Appalachian Spring in '76, '77, '82, and '83. I remember Dave Owens telling me that we have done all we could with that music, at least in that era I suppose. Let's see what the judges have to say. And as for drill rewrites, there is only about 6 weeks of the season, so that does not allow for too much rewriting. It best be done well at first and allowed to be cleaned.

Just watched the show. This show will be a contender if the drill is changed - a lot. It almost looked like they were moving in slow motion.

The music though - unreal. Brass is playing with power, and dynamics already. Just wish the pit weren't so amp'd that I couldn't hear the battery at all.

This is going to be one of my favorites of the year. Heck of a first show. Can't wait to see the final version.

Just saw the show last night at walnut. I was instantly reminded of Garfield '87, so i was excited about the musical selection but was expecting a great classic vanguard 'in your face' arrangement. They went on for about 8 minutes with some little tricks and licks, but everything moved so slow visually and musically. It was starting to drag on a bit, but finally i saw the company front coming and they hit the big impact...VERY NICE. thank you for that moment.

So, sweet ending, nicely done. But the first 2/3 of the show...somewhat flat. we'll have to see where the design team goes with this. Again, Garfield '87 did such a good job, its a tough act to follow. Best of luck.

I don't care if it's a contender or not. It's going to be on my iPod for sure, and that's been rare for most dci stuff recently.

Seconded.

I expect Vanguard to finish a little weaker competitively this year (then again, what do I know. . .), but that show, even if it finishes 95th, is going to be one to listen to again and again.