The audience inside the stands

At the Rockford show I felt like a youngin’ and I’m pushing 41. The crowd was an older crowd. Finals last year seemed like an older crowd too, it always does, just not as old as Rockfords’ was this year. I keep hearing about all these kids at shows and I don’t see it. Yeah, I know Normal will have a bunch of kids but I think that is the exception as it’s tied into a week long music thingy. So, just curious as to what you are seeing inside the stands (paid tickets) as far as ages and of course, its just generalizations. Maybe it’s a Midwest thing, I’ll look around Naperville this weekend but I recall that as being an older crowd too (older as in 30 and above).

So state the show and try and guess the age range that makes up most of the audience

Thanks

I went to Decatur last year, and I'll be going again this Sunday. Last year the crowd was pretty young, seemed like 75% band kids if I remember correctly.

At the Rockford show I felt like a youngin’ and I’m pushing 41. The crowd was an older crowd...

Let me just remind each of you to be very very careful about how you talk about old people. I may have to unload a firestorm of verbal fury on anyone who is careless with their words.

You think that people get upset when you start talking about the corps their child marches in, well, us silver-heads can wield the english language in ways it was never meant to be used.

Edited by Granny Smith

I'm 41 and I was at the Rockford Show. The small group I was with were 62, 60, 41, 39 & 38. Yes, the Rockford Show each year draws people who have been Regiment fans for 30+ years but probably don't go to any other shows. However, I also saw multiple bus loads of high school kids from the Oregon High School Marching Band and theater program come in to the show as well. But there aren't many strong band programs in the Rockford area to draw many other kids. And the weather kept some people who are 1-3 hours driving distance away (i.e. Rosemont & Madison) from coming in.

I think it can also be argued that 20-somethings simply have less disposable income than those who are 30+, so if attending a show in a tough economic time requires a tank (or 2) of gas, a hotel room, a couple meals and a pricey ticket, they may not be able to be there. Heck, I'm 41 and that cash outlay is a problem for me!

And yes, at Normal on Friday we will be in a sea of high school kids.

I only saw a few kids in their Oregon Academy Jackets – but did see their busses (was it 2?)

Like I said, maybe it’s a Midwest thing or the fact that I go to long time, well established, corps home shows (Rockford, Naperville and Michigan City are all 30 plus year shows I think). finals is expensive so it always has a higher age

Just curious

Usually at the Texas shows it's a LOT of band kids and corps parents. There are a few alums and fans, but we're in the minority, I think.

The local shows will have younger people.

High school kids are not going to be able to shell out a few hundred $$ for tickets to finals plus three nights in a hotel plus transportation.

On the other hand, they might well get a group of friends and drive 30 minutes to a show with $20 tickets.

It was GOOD to see ANYONE at the Rockford show after waiting thru an hour of downpouring rain!

3.3 inches of rain during that hour!

But seriously, the Rockford show has almost always brought in a lot of older people.

Until the last few years, we housed the kids until the last couple days before the tour started, so many Rockfordians know drum corp on a very personal level.

You can hear it in the talk around you - they remember certain songs and certain people.

BUT what will happen when this older crowd gets TOO OLD?

Not speaking badly of oldsters, and Granny Smith - I might be older than you are, but I am worried about attendance in future years.

Rockford certainly has little to no band support in the schools.

Its sad!

I'll be watching the overall age of the crowd at the next shows I go to in Normal (expecting very young), Naperville, Madison (Middleton?), Dubuque (I think will be another older crowd) and Cedarburg.

Chambersburg had a good mix, tho in the more expensive seats it was the older crowd....30s and up.

Annapolis IMO, was a pretty good mix, especially with the National Anthem Choir kids there.