Have you ever brought someone to a show............

i've been slowly introducing my boyfriend this season. first we went to a memorial day community event where some of academy did a standstill. then we went to the centerstage show. last week we went to the dress rehearsal. tonight is his first show. he still calls them bands and his one comment after the first live field show was "it's like a 3 ring circus"

he's someone who appreciates music on a deeper level than the casual radio listener, though, so perhaps that helps? tonight should be fun, much more variety in the shows. we are going to denver also so he'll get a full range of groups this summer. i'll try the placement exercise tonight.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I initiated a friend of mine at Annapolis. Crown was her favorite and she picked them to win. She actually got adamant about the whole thing, saying they were robbed and injustice was served, etc. etc....

We now actually have a bet going that come finals night either Crown will win it all (her pick) or Holy Name will win it all (my pick). I tried to make it easier for her by suggesting Crown just has to place higher than the Cadets, but she was sticking to her gut - all or nothing.

So I sent her the link to the DCI score page so she can follow things and knows I'm not BSing her when it comes to scores and placements.

It certainly adds an interesting dynamic to this summer for me. On one hand, I feel pretty confident that HNC will do well this year. On the other, I'm nervous of that chance she may win the bet, and then brag about how she knows good drum corps better than I do for the rest of eternity.

I took my parents to DCI Atlanta last year, and their three favorite Corps were the Cavaliers, Bluecoats, and of course, Phantom Regiment.

I also showed my friend some videos last night (Cavies 06, SCV 07 and Regiment 08) and she loved them, and is now considering going to DCI Orlando.

Edited by Paralda

All of the people I have taken to shows come from a very musical background, but are not so familiar with the marching arts, here are a few comments that almost ALL of these people have said.

Positive comments

1.Wow, what a sound, I didn't know instruments could blend that well.

2.I can't believe how fast they can run and keep up a consistent sound.

3.Those percussionists are extremely talented.

4.This is sooooo much better live than on video

5.I can't wait to come back next year.

Negative Comments

1.Why is the crowd going nuts at random times throughout the show? It is very distracting from the performances.

2.The amps are way too loud/not EQ'd correctly.

3.Wow, I absolutely hate this narration! (this has been universal with every "newbie"... they hate it even more than me)

4.Most of them seem to really like the top corps but are disappointed in the performance level of the mid to lower-tierd groups (yes they have that high of musical expectations)

5.Why did someone from the audience just yell out during the soft and pretty music?

6.Kevlar snares sound like **** (I don't agree, and I try to explain the projection thing, but they still hate them)

7.Haven't we heard that same flat-2 chord progression like 5 times now?

As you can see, many of their complaints are the same as the die-hard drum corps fans, but some are almost opposite (like crowd response).

Done this many times. First my advice for bringing a "newbie" to a show:

- Don't fill their heads with instrustions of what to watch and what not to watch.

- Don't get into rule changes of what used to be legal before vs what's legal now.

Sorry for snipping so much, but I agree very much with the two points I quoted. That's a surefire way to make them fall asleep before they even get to see the shows.

I will be taking two people almost entirely unfamiliar with the marching arts in general, to Drums Along the Rockies this year. If I had to guess which shows they will like I would say probably Bloo and SCV, because they seem to pick casual friendly music.

All of the people I have taken to shows come from a very musical background, but are not so familiar with the marching arts, here are a few comments that almost ALL of these people have said.

Positive comments

1.Wow, what a sound, I didn't know instruments could blend that well.

2.I can't believe how fast they can run and keep up a consistent sound.

3.Those percussionists are extremely talented.

4.This is sooooo much better live than on video

5.I can't wait to come back next year.

Negative Comments

1.Why is the crowd going nuts at random times throughout the show? It is very distracting from the performances.

2.The amps are way too loud/not EQ'd correctly.

3.Wow, I absolutely hate this narration! (this has been universal with every "newbie"... they hate it even more than me)

4.Most of them seem to really like the top corps but are disappointed in the performance level of the mid to lower-tierd groups (yes they have that high of musical expectations)

5.Why did someone from the audience just yell out during the soft and pretty music?

6.Kevlar snares sound like **** (I don't agree, and I try to explain the projection thing, but they still hate them)

7.Haven't we heard that same flat-2 chord progression like 5 times now?

As you can see, many of their complaints are the same as the die-hard drum corps fans, but some are almost opposite (like crowd response).

I sadly have to agree with the two I bolded. When I went to the Quarters in theaters last year, I was not impressed with most of the lower scoring corps such as Pioneer, Spirt, Academy, Colts, and Crossmen. Their shows just weren't very enticing to me. For number 6, though I am a percussionist, I really do not like the sound of kevlar snare heads. I realize it is about projection, but they really do have no depth or musicality to them. It is the same thing as grabbing a slab of formica, throwing on a harness, and playing on that. I miss the sound of the mylar heads.

For number 6, though I am a percussionist, I really do not like the sound of kevlar snare heads. I realize it is about projection, but they really do have no depth or musicality to them. It is the same thing as grabbing a slab of formica, throwing on a harness, and playing on that. I miss the sound of the mylar heads.

Listen to Bluecoats' snares this year. They have those new Yamaha "vents" and sound amazzzzzinnngggg.

Took my un-initiated dad to a 1995 Columbia, SC show (our home at the time), specifically to see the Cadets. Three minutes into the Cadets show, he said...

"Hey, that's Jessica in the color guard."

Then he proceeds to point her out to mom for the rest of the show. He goes down to the field after the retreat and spends five minutes talking to her. She was the daughter of one of his friends, or something like that. I introduced him to a beloved activity and my favorite corps, and he knows somebody on the field.

(By the way, 95 Cadets alumni, please don't rail me if there wasn't a Jessica in the guard - not sure if that was her name, and I don't want to call dad to get it just right)

I initiated a friend of mine at Annapolis. Crown was her favorite and she picked them to win. She actually got adamant about the whole thing, saying they were robbed and injustice was served, etc. etc....

We now actually have a bet going that come finals night either Crown will win it all (her pick) or Holy Name will win it all (my pick). I tried to make it easier for her by suggesting Crown just has to place higher than the Cadets, but she was sticking to her gut - all or nothing.

So I sent her the link to the DCI score page so she can follow things and knows I'm not BSing her when it comes to scores and placements.

It certainly adds an interesting dynamic to this summer for me. On one hand, I feel pretty confident that HNC will do well this year. On the other, I'm nervous of that chance she may win the bet, and then brag about how she knows good drum corps better than I do for the rest of eternity.

You left out one important detail. What're the stakes?

:doh:

Back on topic, I've taken a lot of people to shows over the years. Most enjoyed it and recognized the level of excellence compared to their HS bands. However, my ex-wife just never got it. She knew what I did (teaching VK and a couple of HS bands, including the one at her former HS) when we started dating. She knew I left work for a month or so during the summer. She went to a couple of shows with me. She fell asleep during the Blue Devils in 1983. :doh: But I got a little revenge. Our daughter became a pretty decent pit kid during her HS years, and her son (not mine!) is a pretty good trumpet player and almost marched Impulse this year, but is thinking save money and march next summer. :doh:

A couple of girlfriends after the ex got it. They enjoyed going to shows and talking about what we saw, and would even go to rehearsals for visiting corps with me. But I hit the jackpot when I re-married a drum corps chick! :doh:

Garry in Vegas