DCI app

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quick question: how large is the market for this app?

I would buy this app (I have an ipod touch).

There have been some really good suggestions to add to it, but I think the simpler you/someone can make it the better.

I think it should be directly related to DCI, so that it's the FIRST place to get scores. If it's not the first place to get accurate scores then I will use something that's faster (ie. twitter, facebook, dci.org).

Nothing for the BBerry? :tongue:

I have no idea how to develop for the BlackBerry, nor do I have one. Though I'd love for as many people as possible be able to use the app. Any good resources you know of?

Would be nice if DCI just had RSS feeds of the schedule and scores that would be easier to parse.

Parsing XML (grabbed directly from DCI.org) is just as easy with XPath and libxml2:

showData = [[NSMutableData data] retain]; //Allocate and initialize an NSData object

NSURLRequest *request = [NSURLRequest requestWithURL:[NSURL URLWithString:showDataURLString]]; //Send out an HTTP request using the URL that has the show data

[[NSURLConnection alloc] initWithRequest:request delegate:self]; //Set the class to be the delegate to append to the data incrementally as the connection receives data from the site (add the NSURLConnection delegate methods yourself)

NSArray *result = PerformHTMLXPathQuery(showData, @"//table[@width=580]/tr/td/form/select/optgroup/option"); //Perform an XPath query for all nodes under that path (these are all the nodes that contain the title, date, location, etc. of shows)

for(NSDictionary *node in result) //Iterate through all the shows listed

{

//node contains the information for the show...get the appropriate data and add it to the array to display in the table

}

Easy! For repertoires and past placements, I'm using my own .xml files locally within the app so it's faster (I can do this since it's not dynamic content like scores), but it's the same technique.

I have no idea how to develop for the BlackBerry, nor do I have one. Though I'd love for as many people as possible be able to use the app. Any good resources you know of?

Not sure how easy it is to convert but here's a link that may be useful: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/resources/

BB uses Java-based OS. I don't expect you to make something like this at all for us but maybe someone on this forum would be able to. It's just more frustrating because I believe there are more BB users than iPhones, but whenever a new app comes out everyone expects it to come to the iPhone first :tongue:

Although, if this were $2.99 in the app store, I'd definitely buy it...and I don't buy any apps at all. Gotta support DCI!

Hey Hrothgar,

catch me offline. I work for CNN supporting developers. I'd like to chat with you about some design & data considerations that you may or may not have already thought of.

NICE looking app, though.

I think it should be directly related to DCI, so that it's the FIRST place to get scores. If it's not the first place to get accurate scores then I will use something that's faster (ie. twitter, facebook, dci.org).

The scores are updated as fast as DCI updates their scores, since it's pulling them from their site. You can manually (and maybe frantically!) reload, too, if you know scores are about to be posted. The push notifications, if you have them turn on, will make sure that the app will alert you of scores as soon as they are posted, even if your phone is asleep. I'm also toying with the idea of it automatically tracking Twitter to grab tweets containing scores as they are happening (which would obviously be faster).

BB uses Java-based OS. I don't expect you to make something like this at all for us but maybe someone on this forum would be able to.

Why not give it a go? Software development is my passion. I'm always eager to learn to develop for new platforms.

And yes, I'm trying to make the app as simple as possible (read: follow principles of good design). This one app that I don't want to be feature bloated. If you guys have suggestions for what features to include or not to include, let's hear them. For instance, you should be able to view complete recaps for shows, and see caption rankings, but different weighting methods, mathematical predictions, etc. would be overkill..

I'd like to see a graph to see how scores are developing.

I'm with Chris on the trending. Maybe even where you can do a comparison between corps via both trend lines and their caption scoring against each other... Think of the Bloomberg app when I say that.