Twitter

Let me preface this with my apologies if this has already been addressed. I looked, but I didn't see any topics already started.

So last night I went to see the Toledo show, and I brought some of the high school drumline that I teach. They loved the show and we were all anxiously awaiting the scores. I also was with one of my friends who happened to be getting mobile updates from the Cavaliers on Twitter. Glassmen were doing their encore and he got an interesting text while we were watching them perform.

TheCavaliersTIE! Cadets 78.70 The Cavaliers 78.70 Boston Crusaders 72.40 Glassmen 69.10 Colts 66.10 Crossmen 63.80 Open Class Capital Regiment 66.10

Now I appreciate the fact that they're updating their Twitter the moment they get their scores, but they sent this out a good ten minutes before the scores were even announced. I am a huge fan of Holy Name, so I was fairly nervous about hearing the scores when they were announced, but when my friend showed me his text, it was kind of a buzz kill. I did almost win a very large bet by "guessing" there was a tie, and what their scores were, but even so. Does anyone else feel that this is kind of an anti-climactic way of finding out scores? I feel like they should do something about this, but I have no idea what. Opinions?

I'm surprised DCI is posting their scores so early, knowing that many people have internet access at shows and can post the results on their Twitter, Facebook, and DCP accounts.

Not being at a show I appreciate the scores being updated quickly. If you do not wish to see scores, do not access your internet on your phone. Turn off you twitter, do whatever. It is just choice of preference I guess.

I was, however, one of the ones on Semi's Last year checking DCI every 2 seconds to see if Phantom had taken over Cavies, and that scores was posted 15-20 minutes before it was announced. At normal shows I will just limit my urge to check the scores in order to get the "live suspense"

DCI has been doing this for years.

I remember being in the lot loading the truck in 2004 and one of my fellow pit members would get phone calls from his sister with the recap posted on DCI.org before scores were announced at our show.

2002 DCI would put up scores and I found out about them through my old phone.

I would agree with you that I would NOT want to find out that way at a SHOW. BUT those of us at home are often waiting for scores before we go to bed. I appreciate DCI getting them to us as soon as possible.

An offshoot of this topic should be; why are they doing the encore BEFORE the scores this year?

Edited by patblamo

:laughing: c'mon now buddy. I mean, if you really don't want to know the scores before they are announced, then do not look at Twitter on your phone or anyone else's phone. It really is as simple as that. In this age of virtually instant gratification, I would fully expect the scores to be posted on Twitter, almost the instant someone found out. And it does not surprise me that the scores were there even before they announced them at the venue.

In my opinion, this is a great thing. For people not in attendance, waiting with baited breath for the results, I think this is awesome.

It seems downright silly to even suggest that DCI or anyone else should (or even has the authority) regulate The Cavaliers tweeting habits.

If you are at a show and don't wanna know, DON'T LOOK. And tell your friends to keep their mouths shut, if you're worried about them ruining the surprise.

Agreed. Turn off the darn thing.

This happened at semis last year too with the final three corps. I read it online on my phone, and bet a friend a cheeseburger that Phantom passed Cavaliers. Guess who got a free burger from Steak N Shake! :laughing:

:laughing: c'mon now buddy. I mean, if you really don't want to know the scores before they are announced, then do not look at Twitter on your phone or anyone else's phone. It really is as simple as that. In this age of virtually instant gratification, I would fully expect the scores to be posted on Twitter, almost the instant someone found out. And it does not surprise me that the scores were there even before they announced them at the venue.

In my opinion, this is a great thing. For people not in attendance, waiting with baited breath for the results, I think this is awesome.

It seems downright silly to even suggest that DCI or anyone else should (or even has the authority) regulate The Cavaliers tweeting habits.

If you are at a show and don't wanna know, DON'T LOOK. And tell your friends to keep their mouths shut, if you're worried about them ruining the surprise.

Yep that pretty much says it.