Report from Cadet's Rehearsal

One of the Cadets staff members who wasn't in the stands also happens to be an educator of mine. I am really hoping he didn't recognize that I was the one the staff was making a big deal about because I don't want my image to be tarnished in his mind. I'm really upset about this right now and I'm not sure if I will ever go to another Cadets rehearsal again after tonight.

If you don't want your image to be tarnished, think about what you or your friends are doing before you do it. How about you just go to rehearsals and enjoy what's going on instead of taping? Think about it. Is it an overreaction by everyone involved? Maybe just let it pass and not jump to conclusions about the staff, the Cadets as a whole or the event itself. It's really not that earth shattering.

Yes, the videos did get posted, I saw them. I think they are private now, at the discretion of the poster. George could have had them removed, like BD did. I completely understand the Cadets not wanting their show posted, especially the entire ending/finale. It is known that they are making changes to the ending, so why would you expect that they would want that broadcasted? I think their reaction should have been expected by you and anyone else that does that. If you click on this year's BD videos on youtube, they have been totally removed by the BD staff claiming copyright violations. Why no complaints about that? George didn't go to youtube and have them removed, he simply asks the people there not to video, as he ALWAYS does at rehearsals. Even during wintercamps, he specifically asks that no videos be posted on youtube. The fact that you went back for day two of videotaping, after the first were posted on line, probably led them to not believe you when you said you wouldn't tape or post anymore. Just my thoughts. By the way, I have two short (emphasis on short) video clips up there, allowed per George, but only after he emailed me and reminded me to please let him know what I intend to post first. Not an unreasonable request in my mind. After we agreed, the clips stayed. Don't be so quick to condemn the entire staff to #@!! for what I also believe to be "not that deep."

Edited by xtripleplayer77

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll never understand the whole "anti-Youtube" argument. I hope to God those clips got posted to that site regardless of what the staff wanted.

Very mature of you.

Many corps prefer that their shows/rehearsals don't get posted on YouTube for many reasons. Ask the people who dropped 79 bucks on Fan Network if they think it would be cool for everyone to see behind the scenes stuff for free.

PS - I'm glad you changed your avatar too.

Edited by chaddyt

If you don't want your image to be tarnished, think about what you or your friends are doing before you do it. How about you just go to rehearsals and enjoy what's going on instead of taping? Think about it. Is it an overreaction by everyone involved? Maybe just let it pass and not jump to conclusions about the staff, the Cadets as a whole or the event itself. It's really not that earth shattering.

Yes, the videos did get posted, I saw them. I think they are private now, at the discretion of the poster. George could have had them removed, like BD did. I completely understand the Cadets not wanting their show posted, especially the entire ending/finale. It is known that they are making changes to the ending, so why would you expect that they would want that broadcasted? I think their reaction should have been expected by you and anyone else that does that. If you click on this year's BD videos on youtube, they have been totally removed by the BD staff claiming copyright violations. Why no complaints about that? George didn't go to youtube and have them removed, he simply asks the people there not to video, as he ALWAYS does at rehearsals. Even during wintercamps, he specifically asks that no videos be posted on youtube. The fact that you went back for day two of videotaping, after the first were posted on line, probably led them to not believe you when you said you wouldn't tape or post anymore. Just my thoughts. By the way, I have two short (emphasis on short) video clips up there, allowed per George, but only after he emailed me and reminded me to please let him know what I intend to post first. Not an unreasonable request in my mind. After we agreed, the clips stayed. Don't be so quick to condemn the entire staff to #@!! for what I also believe to be "not that deep."

This. :thumbup:

Very mature of you.

Many corps prefer that their shows/rehearsals don't get posted on YouTube for many reasons. Ask the people who dropped 79 bucks on Fan Network if they think it would be cool for everyone to see behind the scenes stuff for free.

PS - I'm glad you changed your avatar too.

The irony, many of the people who are quick to judge the staff on the immaturity of their handling of the situation are the ones who are being just as immature.

I'll never understand the whole "anti-Youtube" argument. I hope to God those clips got posted to that site regardless of what the staff wanted.

Ok, all this banter back and forth is fruitless and meaningless. There are several points to consider here.

To the 20yo who felt slighted at rehearsal: They are extending the privilege to you of being able to watch them rehearse. Many groups hold closed rehearsals, especially when there are changes being made to the show. As was stated before, there was videoing going on the day before, they ended up on youtube (which is a MAJOR copyright infringement and could possibly affect legal action toward the performing group down the road), and you returned for day 2 of videoing. How are you surprised at this reaction? You admitted yourself that you asked your "friend" to remove the videos asap. You knew it was not the right thing to do. You posted "So the Cadets staff assumed that I was the one who posted the videos on YouTube and were out to get me." Well, you have a freaking camera in your hand! And you where there the day before! And the videos (either you or your friend, it doesn't really matter) ended up online! Seems to me, the Cadets staff added 2+2 and got 4! You are giving yourself too much credit that they are out to get you. They just wanted you to use your brain and have a little common sense.

They should have asked you to leave. They are adding things to the show that, George said, they are still working on getting rights for public performance. This is why these rules exist in the first place.

How would you like to be an artist, have someone make a lot of money off of your music, but never give you credit or pay you the royalty you deserve as the creator? This is why copyright and performance laws exist.

Also, can you please explain what "personal use" is for video taking? Can you not pay for Cadets All Access or even DCI Fan Network like the rest of us? I get the feeling you basically wanted to get people all fired up on here and think its funny. You would have never came in here and dangled a carrot if you did not fully expect to get a response.

"Had an interesting experience at rehearsal tonight.....not sure if I'm going to post about it though. I am really upset though."

How immature.

Just keep it to yourself in the future. Ok, someone was rude to you. Aw shucks, let me get you a kleenex. You put your camera away, but they still were keeping an eye on you. You were either doing something wrong, or had the appearance of that (ever heard of guilty by association?). I would have too if it was my butt on the line. If stuff got out they were trying out in rehearsal that was not approved for public performance, that is THEIR butt, not yours.

Can we please move on to things that actually are positive and pertinent instead of intentionally starting this negative dribble about an outstanding drum corps.

Ok, all this banter back and forth is fruitless and meaningless. There are several points to consider here.

To the 20yo who felt slighted at rehearsal: They are extending the privilege to you of being able to watch them rehearse. Many groups hold closed rehearsals, especially when there are changes being made to the show. As was stated before, there was videoing going on the day before, they ended up on youtube (which is a MAJOR copyright infringement and could possibly affect legal action toward the performing group down the road), and you returned for day 2 of videoing. How are you surprised at this reaction? You admitted yourself that you asked your "friend" to remove the videos asap. You knew it was not the right thing to do. You posted "So the Cadets staff assumed that I was the one who posted the videos on YouTube and were out to get me." Well, you have a freaking camera in your hand! And you where there the day before! And the videos (either you or your friend, it doesn't really matter) ended up online! Seems to me, the Cadets staff added 2+2 and got 4! You are giving yourself too much credit that they are out to get you. They just wanted you to use your brain and have a little common sense.

They should have asked you to leave. They are adding things to the show that, George said, they are still working on getting rights for public performance. This is why these rules exist in the first place.

How would you like to be an artist, have someone make a lot of money off of your music, but never give you credit or pay you the royalty you deserve as the creator? This is why copyright and performance laws exist.

Also, can you please explain what "personal use" is for video taking? Can you not pay for Cadets All Access or even DCI Fan Network like the rest of us? I get the feeling you basically wanted to get people all fired up on here and think its funny. You would have never came in here and dangled a carrot if you did not fully expect to get a response.

"Had an interesting experience at rehearsal tonight.....not sure if I'm going to post about it though. I am really upset though."

How immature.

Just keep it to yourself in the future. Ok, someone was rude to you. Aw shucks, let me get you a kleenex. You put your camera away, but they still were keeping an eye on you. You were either doing something wrong, or had the appearance of that (ever heard of guilty by association?). I would have too if it was my butt on the line. If stuff got out they were trying out in rehearsal that was not approved for public performance, that is THEIR butt, not yours.

Can we please move on to things that actually are positive and pertinent instead of intentionally starting this negative dribble about an outstanding drum corps.

When I meant personal use, I mean that I have a bunch of media that I recorded that isn't even online anywhere. I have it secretly and exclusively for myself.

As for the situation, I realized I was over it last night after getting to watch SCV have an encore and play Clowns (yes, I did spend the money for the Fan Network). I felt a lot better about everything. I used DCP to vent and I probably shouldn't have. I'm 20 years old. I can make a mistake sometime in my life. I totally forgive the staff and I'm fine with everything now. Lets move on and keep talking about how much the Cadets are smokin' hot this year.

PS - Did I mention yet that the sound clips aren't that bad?

Edited by CHSnare

It sounds to me like the people who were being rude to you handled the situation very unprofessionally. So there's a young man in the stands checking out the show and recording stuff -- obviously a big fan of the corps to have been there 2 days in a row, and somebody who looks like they could march in the future? That's not the way to get people to come and audition for your drum corps.

When you're on the top for a long time, though, I guess you can get away with treating people like dirt, and you won't be hurt in November.

I do understand that it was at the end of 2 rehearsal days, lots of changes being made, trying to teach all sorts of new stuff in a short amount of time can be very frustrating for the staff, I'm sure, but it's too bad a couple of ########## made the whole organization look ###### -- probably just a couple first-year vis. techs or something. A simple "hey man, we're going to have to ask you to leave if we see you taking video tonight, alright?" would have sufficed from what it sounds like.

I would hope that something like this wouldn't have happened at the corps that I marched at, but there are always a couple ########## on the staff (probably anyhwere, I'd imagine) that don't know how to treat people -- and they usually aren't asked to come back the next year.

Anyways, I don't know if I'd bother shooting Hopkins an email or not, but I do know that for all of the crap he gets, he's a very intelligent and reasonable guy and I assume would be ###### at whatever staff members were being out of line. I assume they weren't taking out their rehearsal day frustration on you in front of him, were they? He was surely off somewhere else?

EDIT: Topic ended 2 minutes above my post, sorry haha

Edited by Derek Smith

While I fully understand the attitude of those who are baffled by anyone who complains about a video ending up on youtube, you do need to respect the wishes of the corps. Attending a rehearsal is a privilege. As for the staff being rude -- I'd expect them to be rude when distracted from what they're getting paid to do. And if the Cadets have a chip on their shoulder about being unfairly singled-out online, well --- I guess that's not hard to understand either.

YES it's a different world out there and YES I think a lot people don't get it but you still have to be respectful to others who chose to play by their rules (even if they are out-dated and out-of-touch).

Edited by corpsband

While I fully understand the attitude of those who are baffled by anyone who complains about a videos ending up on youtube, you do need to respect the wishes of the corps. Attending a rehearsal is a privilege. As for the staff being rude -- I'd expect them to be rude when distracted from what they're getting paid to do. And if the Cadets have a chip on their shoulder about being unfairly singled-out online, well --- I guess that's not hard to understand either.

YES it's a different world out there and YES I think a lot people don't get it but you still have to be respectful to others who chose to play by their rules (even if they are out-dated and out-of-touch).

I don't think any thing I did at the rehearsal was disrespectful. I did what they asked and I wanted it to end there. Now maybe posting it here was a little disrespectful which is why I want this to be done and everyone to move on. Lets please continue talking about the show. Like I said:

There is a smoking hornline

The audio clips aren't that bad

And a Sweet New ending.

There is plenty to talk about other than my situation.

I don't think any thing I did at the rehearsal was disrespectful. I did what they asked and I wanted it to end there. Now maybe posting it here was a little disrespectful which is why I want this to be done and everyone to move on. Lets please continue talking about the show. Like I said:

There is a smoking hornline

The audio clips aren't that bad

And a Sweet New ending.

There is plenty to talk about other than my situation.

I think the best thing at this point would be to request this thread be closed and start a different thread. Just my opinion though. You can do what you want.