Glassmen/Colts moment tonight

A quick Gmen/Red Team story from some corps parents this evening:

As has been widely reported, this morning the Glassmen's volunteer bus got into an accident. Some folks were taken to the hospital, but as far as I know everybody's okay. Still, kinda threw things for a loop going into the show at good ol' Illinois State University. Long story short, despite the adversity, the Gmen rehearsed all day and performed at the show in Normal.

Here's where the Red Team comes in: Once the Glassmen got off the field and circled up for debrief and all that, the corps headed back to the buses. They found the Colts there waiting for them, still in uniform, and were treated to an impromptu standstill in the parking lot as a show of support.

Another reason why I love drum corps.

Cheers to the Red Team for the heartfelt gesture, and best wishes to the Glassmen, their volunteers, and their driver for a speedy recovery.

Thats why I love this Red Team The Colts Hearts of Gold. Hope all are doing well with the Glassmen.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Colt alumn and strong supporter of Greg, I still am amazed at some of the things he puts out there for people to take pride in. He is always a team player first and respect is all I have for him and the Colts. Nice job Greg and Colts. Best wishes and recoveries for the Gmen.

The Colts and Glassmen have a lot of ties with one another.

Both made Finals for the first time in the same year (1993).

Both see each other many times during the season as they are both Midwest corps.

Both have staff, members, volunteers, and fans who demonstrate what class, maturity, and professionalism are on a daily basis.

Both get rained on a lot. :tongue:

Kudos to the Colts. They're World Class Finalists in my heart, regardless of where they place competitively.

The Colts are a fine organization, and have the spirit. The Colts understand what it is like. They had their own bus accident a number of years ago in Montreal, and were forced to miss the show. Greg Orwell received a standing ovation from the Montreal fans when he thanked them for their help and told them that the Colts would not be able to appear due to injuries.

If I remember correctly, another corps ? sent a bus to Montreal at their own expense to ferry many of the Colts kids to the Fort Edward N.Y. show. Yes, good things do happen

The Colts also lost one of their own, just prior to last season in an auto accident. I think they may understand and appreciate, perhaps better than others, just how precious life can be and much we are truly connected to each other in this activity in spite of the different uniforms we may wear.

HH

Goodwill gestures are something that go back a long time with the Colts. As a first-time finalist in '93, we were fighting for our competitive lives to stay there in '94. It was a 3-way race for the 11 and 12 spots between us, Boston and Magic of Orlando. We had developed a bit of a heated rivalry with Magic that was creating a bit of tension as they were doing their absolute best to unseat us and gain their first finals spot.

As it turned out, we both made it. So after semi's, we went back to our housing site and made a HUGE banner congratulating and welcoming them to Finals...from the previous first-time corps to the new first-time corps. The banner was delivered and hung on their food truck for the entire Magic staff and membership to see. Rivalry dissolved.

They may have jumped us to take 11th in the final standings (which still stung a bit :tongue: ), but the gesture of welcoming them was unexpected and very much appreciated and was nothing less than what I expect from Greg and the Colts organization.

The Colts are good people. :tongue:

OMG ! Thats is the classiest thing I think that I,ve ever heard of God bless you COLTS and Greg I will forever love the COLTS time to buy some Colt souvies !!! :tongue::tongue:

Colts win.