Scouts Uniforms

http://www.comicvine.com/black-lightning/29-10994/

Troopers and Cavies huh? Did you learn respect in one of those two corps?

You have been extremely touchy in this whole thread. Jeez. Anyways, I look forward to seeing Madison's show in August. I think the sashes could either look better or worse in motion. My bet is on better.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a lot of people making the comments about the guard costumes looking silly is that they're trying to compare it to American superheros... while they are a nod to Black Lightning, they are supposed to be based on the superheros of Latin culture (forgive me for not knowing the Spanish name)... it's an exploration into Latin culture, you have to understand that first and foremost.

I'm a little surprised that people know so little about this. I know that not everyone on the planet watches "CSI," but this past season they devoted their 200th episode to lucha libre and luchadores. I'm not certain, but I believe this character, comic book superhero Relámpago, is supposed to be an extension of that.

Lose the black pants and replace with white and it's 80 percent fixed. Right now they just seem to blend into the field. Not sure what the red sash is about either.

I'm certainly not going to start a digression about black pants versus white. If I recall correctly, there have been numerous lengthy threads over the years regarding the merits of one over the other.

Not sure what the red sash is about? I'll defer to the experts here, but I believe there are actually two purposes for the red sash. One is that it fits the superhero show theme of Relampago -- "the first Mexican American comic book hero".

The second purpose tries to address the "blending into the field" issue that arose last year with the new lighter shade of green jackets. When the corps faced backfield many people felt (myself included) that the corps almost visually disappeared against the turf. The white aussie hat is insufficient to provide shape and form to the drill design. Ergo, they needed some sort of a sash. And a red sash seems to fit the latin theme and also has the benefit of having a long history with the corps.

Whether or not this particular sash design is the right one is certainly open for discussion. Personally, I'd have preferred something cleaner and tighter to match the crisp and classy look of the jacket itself (complete with classy cufflinks). The down side of my preference is that it wouldn't fit the theme as well. As has been stated, uniform design is a series of trade-offs and there is no perfect uniform (except for Blue Rock*). :worthy:

* with honorable mention to the Kilties, the Bridgemen (banana jackets), Belleville Black Knights, and the Troopers.

Here, here on Belleville, and the Troopers!

Whether or not this particular sash design is the right one is certainly open for discussion. Personally, I'd have preferred something cleaner and tighter to match the crisp and classy look of the jacket itself (complete with classy cufflinks). The down side of my preference is that it wouldn't fit the theme as well. As has been stated, uniform design is a series of trade-offs and there is no perfect uniform (except for Blue Rock*). :worthy:

I saw Madison in Mankato, MN. I really liked the show. It was probably my favorite of the evening musically (over both Cavies and Bluestars). But I agree with the above post regarding the sash design. I like the general concept but found it a bit distracting and I'm curious whether it is an impediment to movement by the corps. Tighter and cleaner would be preferred. Overall, however, I enjoyed the show a lot.

Scouts has the "sexiest" uniform, in my opinion, currently in the DCI world class. I was so thrilled of their uniform debut last season. I still don't quite understand the effect of the red.