Santa Clara Vanguard 2009

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's Eileen. She ages out next year, started out in the Cadet Corps, I *think* this is her 4th year with Vanguard A Corps. Overall BA chick, from Sunnyvale. I had hoped it was her.

Yes the "toast" is awesome, but just look at those toes on the tuba!

:thumbup::tongue::blink::blink::blink::blink:

Man, I love how that snare drummer is totally beaming! Man, how awesome it must be seeing the reaction from the field.

I noticed that too. :biggrin:

I noticed that too. :biggrin:

I've said this in my review of Stanford of how this show really reminds me of Vanguard 1989... at least the CoFront... though this time, I saw it in person.

You were there for SCV 1989... how'd that feel?

I've said this in my review of Stanford of how this show really reminds me of Vanguard 1989... at least the CoFront... though this time, I saw it in person.

You were there for SCV 1989... how'd that feel?

I'm guessing you're asking specifically about the crowd reaction at DCI World Championship Finals. Watching the crowd reaction now on DVD makes me so very VERY proud to have been a part of it. :biggrin:

I wish I could say something like "It felt amazing". But my honest answer is that I was actually up in the tunnel before I even became aware of the roar of the crowd. I can't remember much about any of that performance really. It was like I had an out-of-body experience or something. I hope that doesn't sound too bizarre. I swear I'm telling you the truth. I'd actually give just about anything to be able to remember every single second of that performance.

I'm sure some of what contributes the "blur" is because as an individual I was focussed on so many different things at the time and I knew how high the stakes were. At the moment of the company front, I was concentrating on breathing and playing as loud as possible without over blowing. I was focussed on Gary Butera our DM. It was soooooo important for the front to be straight, I was really focussing my energy on staying connected to the others on either side of me - even though one of them was too short for me to physically connect to them. :doh: AND since I was one of the "parachute guys", I'm sure I was fast-forwarding in my mind to the change in the parachute that was for only that night. (Different from what we'd done at the end of the show all season up to that point.) When we actually made it up into the tunnel - running for dear life with the parachute - I personally felt a release and sense of relief that is impossible to describe. That's when I realized the crowd was going insane. And that's also when I began to cry like a blithering idiot. :sad:

(Belated condolences on the loss of your little brother, by the way. I saw that in your signature line.)

I'm just happy they have the Vanguard presence back to be honest. It's been a while since i've seen it. Some may agree and some may disagree. But the vibe I get from them is something I haven't seen/felt since the late 90's. So regardless of placement, SCV is heading in the right direction.

Ah, this has me so excited! I'm so happy to finally get the opportunity to see them live again at the show in Buffalo, N.Y.! Hubby will be with me, and so now he'll know why I've been a Santa Clara fan since I first discovered drum corps in the mid-'70s!

I love how traditional this show is...the traditionality of corps isn't just in the people, or the experience, it's in the music and presentation and type of show as well. Vanguard's got it.