Santa Clara Vanguard 2009

I have had the opportunity to see the SCV show from their first two performances at Precision West and SCV family night and then in Stockton. Musically the show is tremendous. They have an awesome arrangement and in MY opinion, the marching fits the character of the music well. I am looking forward to seeing where they take it as the season progresses. I feel this show is definitely going to be a crowd pleaser (the company front is very cool). The crowd gave them a long standing O during the company front. I think this years Vangard has a lot to say and they are going to do just that. This is going to be a very interesting season. I look forward to see the final results of everyone's endeavors in Indy.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty sure that's a girl!

Yeah. I think that's pretty evident. :smile:

I have a guess that the pose will be changed by finals week. Something maybe more dramatic. That is just a guess based on nothing but what SCV has done in the past to add some drama.

So how does everyone think they are going to perform tonight? I haven't heard to many things as of late about their rehearsals and such. Hope all is going well for the SCV!

All I can really say is that I have had this show in my head straight since I saw it live. I have been working on my car to Appalachian Spring, riding my bike to Appalachian Spring, eating my breakfast to Appalachian Spring, reading my mail to Appalachian Spring, and tonight I will be enjoying a 4th of July BBQ to Appalachian Spring. I can't wait to see this at finals. I envy those kids so much. It has to be so much fun to perform. :thumbdown:

I'm starting to "get" Vanguard's show this year. I downloaded the Stanford show and am listening to it over and over and each time I hear something else that makes me appreciate it even more.

It doesn't hit you over the head and neither did the original composition. Of all of the "excerpts" of Appalachian Spring we have heard played over the years, this one remains the truest to the original (up until the 8 minute mark percussion section).

I think Gayle Royer would approve of this show.

I'm starting to "get" Vanguard's show this year. I downloaded the Stanford show and am listening to it over and over and each time I hear something else that makes me appreciate it even more.

It doesn't hit you over the head and neither did the original composition. Of all of the "excerpts" of Appalachian Spring we have heard played over the years, this one remains the truest to the original (up until the 8 minute mark percussion section).

I think Gayle Royer would approve of this show.

This show is vintage Gail Royer SCV. :thumbdown:

I keep hearing good things about this show and I'd like to hear the show so I can make my own judgements. Anyone know where I can listen to it?

It's Eileen. She ages out next year, started out in the Cadet Corps, I *think* this is her 4th year with Vanguard A Corps. Overall BA chick, from Sunnyvale. I had hoped it was her.

I watch the video over and over and when it gets to the point where she poses in front of the company front I lose it.

It is one of the smallest gestures on the field but by far the most meaningful.

This is going to be a review of the show as it currently stands. It will be blunt and to some, harsh.

Preface:

I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!! It is exquisite and full of potential. The only reason I'm digging so deep is because it is in the same class as 87 SCV. The mid to late 80's (to me) were perfectly designed shows and 2009 is what I've been waiting for for 20 years! The following statements and opinions are based on the Staford video. All times noted are based on said video.

Positives:

Hornline is going to be amazing and push for a win in the caption.

Drill design is near flawless and is staged incredibly well.

The horn members body work popping out of forms and seemlessly being reintegrated is impeccable design and masterfully staged. (opener)

Field coverage is nearly unmatched this year. Very demanding from an ensemble music aspect and handled VERY well for so early.

Only corps I have seen in recent years get away from the horizontal plain visually. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! So fun to watch.

Colorguard ... WOW .. just WOW. Entire opener - 6:30 to 7:20 ... wow wow WOW.

Sections needing tweaks:

Beginning to 4:30 ..... for once I'm speechless. Impeccable, brilliant, flawless design and a high level of execution. This is vintage SCV - touch it and DIE! :worthy:

4:30 mark in the fugue. Alot of stand still so I'm expecting body to be added? If not, the guard segmentation isn't selling the music rep at this point.

Separating the pods on the vertical and assigning guard to each pod rather than just the baritone cluster would help sell this portion of the show. OR! Take the guard out of the pods entirely and have them move with the percussion (see next sentence) so it ties in from an ensemble standpoint.

Having the percussion continue to move here gives the idea that it's a percussion feature where it is obviously not. This all can be fixed pretty easily but, at the moment, it's quite confusing and goes against the grain of what you have presented to this point. In other words, you have 4 or 5 good ideas going on, but none of them go together. Pick one idea and max it.

4:56 the THICK synth part is still a bit overpowering. I'm sure the hornline can be brought up to match this impact point, however it's more the tamber of the pitch in the synth that speaks out than anything else. It feels harsh and shrill (fix the tone quality on the synth :P)

This 40 second segment of the show is VERY important to the production. I'm sure the staff already knows things need to be added and clarified on this chunk of the show. I look forward to seeing the progress and tweaks.

The next HOLD up to the bari solo is very appropriate and one of my favorite portions of Appalachian Spring. My one suggestion is, please don't rush it. It feels forced whereas it is a moment of joyous relaxing celebration in the original piece. Staging, visual, voicing .. it's all spot on .... it's just the delivery at this point.

7:20 Color Guard (read positives just before this) .... how can we get them some silks for the fanfare? The dance leading up to this made me wet myself but I'm ready for a color change. I feel for the drill writer here. Working in a silk change for this portion is darn near impossible. But how amazing it would be with a simple cream silk doing some sharp unison work to this new feel change in the show. The music is making a new statement so I would think the visual should match.

7:32 - 7:45 (Cover your eyes) this drill makes absolutely no sense to me. It's being used as a visual transition for the guard. The segmentation - stage left breaks theme. I guess we're all in a pinch here. The guard dance up to 7:20 is soooooo good it creates a design problem immediately after. Do you shorten the guard dance feature to get the staging proper to match the mood change or do you sacrifice a messy transition where there shouldn't be one?

7:45 - 8:20 We're back in the saddle!!!! This leads to the percussion feature

Being a bit "older" school myself, I don't mind the departure from the original for the sake of having a full blow percussion feature. I'm not sure the judges appreciate it as much considering how true you've been to the original in the rest of the show. It's a taste thing .... I like it :)

9:05 you hit the guts of the percussion feature. But I can't see the drumline. Guard staging directly in front and stacked so deep that depending on vantage point, the featured section of the group is invisible. Moving them to the side wouldn't hurt would it? Half the guard has been on weapons wowing us for about 4 minutes off and on to this point. Let the drumline shine.

9:30 to the end .......... PERFECTION.

The ending. As I've said in another thread about a week ago, I'm hoping the ending can be extended a bit and possibly use a longer diminuendo to finish. This could be achieved by peeling off horn players and adding body amongst many other things. Not asking for a copy of 87 Garfield here, but much more can be done.

Last thoughts ............ This show is SO close to being a drumcorps masterpiece. I can't wait to see what layers are added and I hope those two chunks in the show that need attention get more than a cleaning. This show can win and even if it doesn't ... it goes in the all time fav list. NO DOUBT! What fan$ love forever and what wins doesn't always match up ...... but I would rather be remembered for being an ALL TIME GREAT when all is said and done.