Early Season Regional Touring

I know we've talked about this before, I think months ago, but I was reading another topic so I figured why not bring it up again?

What do people think of a regional based touring scheme at least for the early part of the season? Still keep the "Road to Finals" aspect with San Antonio leading to Atlanta leading to Allentown leading to Finals... but before S.A. have a set of regionals (based geographically however you want: Southeast, North, Southwest, West, Midwest, etc. etc. etc.). Corps in those regions compete for the first month or so of tour in only their regions, compete in their regional regional (lulz), then begin the national trek to Finals. Would help cut early season costs and bring a sense of "community corps" back to the activity... what say you?

Not possible anymore. There aren't enough corps to support a regional circuit in any region other than the midwest, and Open class would have to be mixed in and on the same sheets as World Class until first tour was over with. I'm not going into detail. I just don't think it's possible anymore.

I agree with the comment that the Midwest (and possibly California) are the only places that could sustain a regional tour. However...

There are a ridiculous number of people who live in cities that host corps that have never even heard of the local team, even less DCI. How about a local tour, instead?

Go play at every population center within a two hour drive that's big enough to have a dot on a map. Do parades and free concerts, and (with the right permits) sell hot dogs from the food truck. Grouse less about the guy who called you a "marching band" and publicly celebrate the fact that kids from right here in town do more than play Wii and skateboard, and I suspect we'd find both more "local" members AND more fans.

the problem with that idea is, a lot of corps have been not local based for a long time. most world class corps search regionally and nationally for talent, and not just over a small area. The emphasis is on finding the best people for the position, and not where theyre from, and I am completely fine with this. The corps should make efforts to have a presence in their town though.

The blue stars, (for example, as i know more about them than others) have members from all over, have camps and pre-tour in the indianapolis area, many hours from la crosse. However, from what i saw, they had several events in and around the la crosse area right before tour to keep the attachment to the city, which has been harder of late with no place to have a home show.

Well just for fun:

dcimap.jpg

Now on this map (thanks to whoever made it :worthy: ) The U.S. is divided into 4 regions based on color. Red is the Southeast, Yellow is the West, Green is the Midwest, and Blue is the Northeast. The dark color versions are states where there are no corps but where corps in that region would have shows included in said region. Pink states are states either to geographically far away from the central hub of a region to be included in any region and/or I could not decide which region to put them in. The two gray states are states where I wasn't sure which region they should be included in (these two have a drum corps).

Actually, the last few years, early season is like a regional tour for the california/west coast corps. especially since we now have Stanford stadium for the west regional. This regional is basically west coast corps (with one corps touring from the east).

We have show out west with over 10 corps performing (usually 5 being World class) on a regular basis. These are all regional.

I love that people would consider Colorado and Wyoming in the Midwest...

One of the nice things about the early season is that corps can choose where they want to go. Troopers and Bluecoats are doing a California tour this summer, Colts and Madison could choose to head out East if they want, SCV and Academy could come Midwest if they like. If we locked down regions, this would become a lot harder.

you pretty much have it now, just on a smaller scale due to fewer corps. look at the schedule.....an eastern show, a midwest show, a west show, sometimes you luck out and see two shows in one of those regions.

but with fewer corps it doesnt look as pronounced and corps are more willing to travel out of region earlier on. Plus, it seems like corps take more rehearsal only days here and there, and the season has been a week shorter for a while.