Looking Big

At times I hear and read comments that such-and-such corps "looks big." I understand this completely as I can see it with my two eyeballs (despite the cataracts). However, what are the things that make a corps look big even when they have the same number of marching members as a corps that doesn't look large?

Who are corps that stand out to you the most that "look big" when they take the field?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who are corps that stand out to you the most that "look big" when they take the field?

Colors of uniforms, number of guard members versus uniforms on the field, etc. Phantom always looks really big because the roman style helmets, and solid colored uniforms...just for example. Good point though, I have noticed how some look like they have 50 more people and they the same size as the corps next to them.

At times I hear and read comments that such-and-such corps "looks big." I understand this completely as I can see it with my two eyeballs (despite the cataracts). However, what are the things that make a corps look big even when they have the same number of marching members as a corps that doesn't look large?

Well, I imagine one of the simpler methods of making a corps look larger is to use bigger intervals side to side and front to back.

I have also read that black uniforms make a corps look smaller, but to be honest, I've never noticed it. Maybe it's just a psychological phenomenon and people want to believe it because it has been parroted so much.

When I look at Phantom's 1996 show and then at their 2000 show and then at their 2003, I see three different sets of uniforms, but no noticeable difference in heights or corps size.

the way a performer presents themselves. if they are hunched over and arms arent out they look small.

I have also read that black uniforms make a corps look smaller, but to be honest, I've never noticed it. Maybe it's just a psychological phenomenon and people want to believe it because it has been parroted so much. When I look at Phantom's 1996 show and then at their 2000 show and then at their 2003, I see three different sets of uniforms, but no noticeable difference in heights or corps size.

Interesting. I always thought PR 96 looked TINY. Very slim and short look, which I attribute to the all-black. When I see the corps in all-white (even marching 128), I think they look huge.

I wonder if this also impacts scores at all? I think the Troopers for example looks smaller than other corps (granted, they look bigger than in the past), but I wonder if it's because of the hats which have no height, or the dark uniforms, or sparkle, or what?

I wonder if this also impacts scores at all? I think the Troopers for example looks smaller than other corps (granted, they look bigger than in the past), but I wonder if it's because of the hats which have no height, or the dark uniforms, or sparkle, or what?

All of the above Granny,....you knew that.

Don't try to play dumb with me.