A Dubuque Review

I've only seen two of the corps Tom reviewed, but his assessments match my own in many ways. I'm more optimistic that the Cavaliers still have time to build the show they want, but no question the show is very incomplete right now, with a month left in the season.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, your a terrible reviewer.

I disagree with just about everything you said.

Thanks.

Shouldn't you be spending more time with your hornline? Just a thought.

Also, as someone once said...and I'll never forget it..."You have a nice drum corps."

and i just went back and re-read it and saw your comment on "quality staff". you got some balls.

I do. Thanks for noticing.

You get what you pay for most of the time.

The corps where you instruct is not making progress in my opinion. Settling is more the term I would use. Content would be another. The issues I heard, particularly from members of the hornline are ones I would think would have been addressed in the months of rehearsal prior to the season. Apparently, they were not. At least not, when I compare them to the other Open Class corps in this competition.

In short, Colt Cadets...a better than expected performance. Racine Scouts...exactly what I was expecting given past history. Nothing has changed from my impressions of the corps from past viewings in other years.

See, YOU have a unique opportunity...to help form new opinions by doing a better job. That didn't happen for me in Dubuque. But, it's a long time until finals. Now, I would suggest, you stop reading reviews about the corps you currently work with and either do one of two things...sleep so you'll be better rested in the morning, or work harder to improve your portion of the corps. Anything else is a distraction. And you and the members of your corps have no time for distractions.

I've only seen two of the corps Tom reviewed, but his assessments match my own in many ways. I'm more optimistic that the Cavaliers still have time to build the show they want, but no question the show is very incomplete right now, with a month left in the season.

Yeah, Matt...I think most of the Midwest corps would have drill issues right now considering the weather they've endured both May and June. The rainout shows don't help either. They are just behind and I had the unique experience of seeing a show in Glendale, AZ and in Dubuque, IA in the same year...so much of my perspective comes from a natural comparison of competitive corps I've already seen perform a week earlier. Corps without the early season weather issues.

Tom -

My first response to your review was knee jerk - I mean you jerk, but have had much time to read other reviews you have written, and to re-read your review and responses to same. Have now reached a different conclusion. Your comments all appear to be solidly valid, although couched in some rather blunt/unkind language at times.

Yes - parking was tough - HUGE CROWD.

Yes - the stadium was crowded. Dubuque now has a potential alternative stadium - big, new, nice. Drawback: Major parking issues there. Still...something to be explored?

Yes - the coffee was weak and there was no cream or sugar (first year for coffee - things to be learned).

No - There is no popcorn. Hmm. Something to be done there, perhaps.

Yes - The brats weren't all perfect and brat buns would be a nice touch.

As for the corps reviews...it's still hard to read such straight forward bluntness without wincing. So many corps are doing their best without lots of practice time, travel money, production funds, etc. Me, I like kinder, gentler language early in the season, but you says it like you sees it.

Anyway, to encourage you to return to Dubuque, I am personally offering to pick up the cost of two reserved seats for this year's Music on the March II, or the 2010 Music on the March. That way you'll get good parking and good seating, which perhaps will help your review to a better start.

Let me know if you are interested - and please, keep reviewing!

Wow, your a terrible reviewer.

I disagree with just about everything you said.

Thanks.

and i just went back and re-read it and saw your comment on "quality staff". you got some balls.

wow, get over it

corps don't always need sunshine blown up their butts

He said some un-positive things about a corps I've been affiliated with as well, but who cares?

I think his critiques aren't off at all, and instead of whining about his hurtful wittle words, I hope corps pay close attention to consistent 'beefs' people have with their shows.

Tom -

My first response to your review was knee jerk - I mean you jerk, but have had much time to read other reviews you have written, and to re-read your review and responses to same. Have now reached a different conclusion. Your comments all appear to be solidly valid, although couched in some rather blunt/unkind language at times.

Yes - parking was tough - HUGE CROWD.

Yes - the stadium was crowded. Dubuque now has a potential alternative stadium - big, new, nice. Drawback: Major parking issues there. Still...something to be explored?

Yes - the coffee was weak and there was no cream or sugar (first year for coffee - things to be learned).

No - There is no popcorn. Hmm. Something to be done there, perhaps.

Yes - The brats weren't all perfect and brat buns would be a nice touch.

As for the corps reviews...it's still hard to read such straight forward bluntness without wincing. So many corps are doing their best without lots of practice time, travel money, production funds, etc. Me, I like kinder, gentler language early in the season, but you says it like you sees it.

Anyway, to encourage you to return to Dubuque, I am personally offering to pick up the cost of two reserved seats for this year's Music on the March II, or the 2010 Music on the March. That way you'll get good parking and good seating, which perhaps will help your review to a better start.

Let me know if you are interested - and please, keep reviewing!

Thanks for the offer.

Now that you bring somethings to my attention...if I was a corps' sovie crew...I would DREAD coming to Central High. The load in for them is a huge issue. See...there I go again...blunt.

In my business, I have little time to read through sugar coating. I know...corps use a ton of volunteers and things aren't always going to go perfectly.

My assessment of the show comes from many years of attending shows. If there were things wrong at the 1997 Show of Shows, as the co-producer of that show, I would want to know and we learned from the audience feedback no matter in what form we recieved it. I am certain given your comments, you are also in a learning mode. Cool!

As far as the corps, I had the unique vantage point of having seen competing corps in Glendale, AZ on June 24. Much of my review points were based on what I have seen from competitive corps in another venue.

In short...it appears the Midwest is behind...most likely due to the weather this later spring/early summer. I understand, but I comment on what I see and hear and as in my business...if it ain't working people like to know. Also, if ten other people reviewing the show didn't agree with me...ok....they may have had a different vantage point. From mine, I saw what I saw and commented in the style I've grown used to using.

Clearly none of these corps was a worst case scenario (note...read my Incognito review from Glendale), however, from top to bottom, these corps will have competitive challenges to overcome when matching up in Denver/Orlando, San Antonio and for the rest of the season. Consider the Dubuque review a baseline. It appears Colts have been making the best since their homeshow. Madison and Spirit seem to be slipping further behind. Cavies up, Regiment steady and soon the head to heads will begin and we can see how much has changed since this review.

Again, I appreciate your words and the very generous offer. I most likely will not be able to attend, but I'll counter your proposal. When the tickets go on sale next year, I'd like to buy a couple of the VIP tickets. Then I'd like for you to find a deserving pair of folks who have never seen a drum corps show before and give the tickets to them. That's how we build more support for this wonderful activity.

I should also add...the Colts organization does many things spot on. The program book...pages and pages of names of the supporters of your organization speaks volumes. Thanks for all the hard work and don't worry too much about one blunt reviewer. He's probably not going to change his stripes very soon.

I found Tom's review refreshing. It gives me a base from which to form my own opinions when I see the corps in person in the next week. What I find amasing is the constant reference of many reviewers to compare 2009 productions with productions from fifteen to twenty years ago.

To compare the Blue Stars 2009 show with the Cadets amd Bluecoats 1995 shows is insane. I have been attending shows for over forty years and all I remember about most shows is that they where very good and I found them entertaining at the time. To use up one's brain cells to remember intricate details of past shows is a waste. Enjoy the moment and stop making reference to things most people could care less about.

I would like an opportunity to address my comparison of this year's Blue Stars production to two shows from 1995. I believe a drum corps fan with memories spanning many decades, would draw the comparison. For some reason, both Cadets and Bluecoats chose similar 1995 shows and displayed some of the same aspects. This may be more formulative for me as 1995 was the first year back for me after over a 12 year absence from drum corps and was my first finals ever.

I loved the Bluecoats show even better than Cadets' cluttering the field with trees, etc. I consider, whether intended or not, the current Blue Stars production as an homage to those great shows. Drawing comparisons in life is natural and an often useful device to provide relevence and common frames of reference. I see you disagree and you expressed concerns over my use of brain cells. I note this disagreement.

Edited by Tom Brace

Tom, I enjoyed your review of the Dubuque show. I saw the Scouts, Spirit, Colts, Pioneer and Colts Cadets in South Milwaukee on July 1 and I generally agree with your comments. I thought Pioneer was an upgrade over previous years, but I just saw them again on Sunday night (July 5 in exhibition) in Kenosha and I thought they had taken a step backwards. I also saw the Racine Scouts in exhibition Sunday night and I thought they were substantially better this year when compared to the past few years. My reactions have as much to do with how much I enjoy a show as opposed to doing a DCI-type technical review of the various parts. As a Wisconsin native, I tend to be partial to Wisconsin corps.

Vic Russell

I believe my review reflected accurately MY assessment of the evening's events. You disagree. Noted.

As to your specific points...

I did not enjoy the performances by these corps nearly as much as my viewing of other corps in Glendale Arizona. I believe the early season weather has much to do with this. There weren't many positives to be honest with you. Regiment does not tell this story as well in this show. Cavies are not as ready as they have been in the past. Madison's second half was almost unreadable. Colts are small and have a simple show design. Blue Stars have cluttered half the field with stuff and Spirit's solid hornline doesn't play enough. Pioneer and Racine are basically a no change from the past. Still lacking in what it takes to begin any serious movement for competitive improvement.

I liked Colt Cadets show the most given my knowledge and expectations. They may have been the single corps who exceeded my expectations.

I liked the steel drum and the player was outstanding. Would you have rather had a synth patch perform the part?

Cavies guard stood with flags at their sides for much of the last 2 minutes of their show...obvious of work not yet complete.

I could go on, but the review says what I saw. You disagree. Your perogative. And noted.

Your critique of my review borders on a personal attack. I would urge you to restrain such strong emotions. It's only one drum corps show. By the way...I did mention the sell out and suggested the Colts organization look to an alternate location with more seating next year. Dubuque has to have at least one better venue with better parking, more and higher bleacher seats and better logistics for the corps.

All noted. I do agree my counter was more of an attack than reply. I just didn't like to see so much negativity in a review. You and I saw the same show, just in different ways. Sorry for any personal attacks, they are and were uncalled for. There is a much better venue in Dubuque but there is NOOOOOOO parking for it. University of Dubuque has a beautiful new field, astroturf, perfect bleachers and lightning, but they don't get a crowd, so no parking. Not even for the corps. What to do?????