Academy Equipment Stolen

There's nothing wrong with this thread, and there are no plans to close it. There's also nothing wrong with pointing out that it isn't very wise for a corps to take something on tour that will last longer than, say, a loaf of bread without insuring it, and it's legit to wonder why they didn't. Having said that, it's unfortunate that yet another corps has fallen victim to the plague of vehicle and equipment theft that has hampered so many corps, although at least it wasn't instruments and uniforms stolen and/or burned.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where are the people stepping up here??? "Where can I send money?" "How can I help?" Instead, we have a bunch of know-it-all corps executive corps directors on here telling Mark Richardson how to run his corps. Pretty pathetic. I donated to the Teal Sound last year and will do the same on Sunday. There doesn't need to be a special way to send. Just donate to the corps. Pretty pathetic!

If 500 folks just donate $25, it will cover the cost of this loss. let's help them out. If you are at the SoCal shows this weekend, stop by the Academy souvie trailer and donate what you can. I hope SuviDuvi is watching and can chime in. But, that is the simplest way I can think of helping them out, besides mailing them a check.

And why would I want to give a single penny to a corps that does not have the foresight to insure their major equipment?

I feel exceptionally bad for the members and wish them the best of luck, but I have no sympathy for the administration at this point.

I will gladly be willing to revise this opinion if there are details missing here.

I've got to chime in here.

1)I presume a trailer needs to have insurance to be on the road. Are any of you aware that most vehicles don't carry "theft" insurance? The trailer won't magically be replaced if there is insurance on it. That's not how insurance works.

2)Does anybody know what it costs to have insurance on an ATV? I'd love for someone in the insurance business to chime in. I'd wager the cost of getting a title from the registry and plates and insurance (for what is technically a recreational vehicle and doesn't require any of those things) is probably near the cost of the vehicle itself every three years or so. The monthly premiums for insurance coverage that you know-it-alls are asking for on a $5000 vehicle probably equal about $5000 every three years. (That's about $140/month...does anybody pay that?) Perhaps the administration figured they would save money by not purchasing the insurance if they were not required to do so. I don't know many ATV riders that carry the same coverage, plates, etc on their ATV that they have on their family sedans....do you?

Please eloquently refute my statement and support it with facts if you can.

Ill bite

Last season the Bushwackers had our 30ft trailer stolen with EVERYTHING in it. Total loss except for the uniforms.

Smartly we had EVERYTHING in it insured except for a few items like flagpoles and other misc equipment like generators, tools, etc and we recieved a check within 3 weeks from our Insurance company for the total amount to replace all insured equipment, Over $70,000.00

This season we have a new blanket insurance policy that covers EVERY bit of euipment we own plus the new 40ft trailer, Roughly $148,000 worth of equipment.

Our premium is a little over $330 a month for this policy.

This stuff is not rocket science, Though I feel bad for Academy, They need to get up to speed on their insurance needs.

Jay

Director

Bushwackers

By the way-Tom Maiello of the Raiders and a Bush alum is our new insurance man, He did a wonderful job getting our insurance policy.

sad to hear...

In sept. 2003, Esperanza lost most of their equipement when they returned home from tour and winning D II/III (horns, percussion, atv, misc. tools) Nothing was ever recovered and sad to say, it happened again in 2005 or 6, can't remember which year....any wonder smaller corps struggle.....

Its hard enough to field a corps w/o crime getting in the way....here's to everyone stepping up, helping out, lesson learned, move on, lower the 'bashing' arm and lets help these kids march.....

Just a mom......

Ill bite

Last season the Bushwackers had our 30ft trailer stolen with EVERYTHING in it. Total loss except for the uniforms.

Smartly we had EVERYTHING in it insured except for a few items like flagpoles and other misc equipment like generators, tools, etc and we recieved a check within 3 weeks from our Insurance company for the total amount to replace all insured equipment, Over $70,000.00

This season we have a new blanket insurance policy that covers EVERY bit of euipment we own plus the new 40ft trailer, Roughly $148,000 worth of equipment.

This stuff is not rocket science, Though I feel bad for Academy, They need to get up to speed on their insurance needs.

Jay

Director

Bushwackers

By the way-Tom Maiello of the Raiders and a Bush alum is our new insurance man, He did a wonderful job getting our insurance policy.

Jay--that's awesome! I wonder if all the corps know about that! Sounds like a good deal. Thank you for eloquently refuting my statement with facts, as I requested--I appreciate it. :smile:

How about that? A polite interaction where one party learned something from the other...yay!

seriously...thanks, that's good to know.

Ill bite

Jay

Director

Bushwackers

And may I add that this blanket insurance policy INCLUDES our liability insurance of $10,000,000. coverage that we must have to rent facilities.

The DCA requires all corps to have liability or they CANNOT compete week to week.

OK...I am not sure, but can a corp insure something that does not belong to them?? According to The Academy website, this utility vehicle and trailer were loaned to them by a "generous family"...I fail to see, in this scenario, how the corp could be blamed..

But regardless of the fault, as a proud parent of a Teal Sound member, I remember last year how the drum corp community rallied around Teal Sound, and kept them on the road...However unfortunate the details are, this corp is in need of something crucial to their tour's success...

I have donated what I can to the cause...If everyone that reads this does the same, The Academy will be able to get on with the summer tour...

That's what I posted earlier, but nobody on this forum seems to notice this fact...

sad to hear...

In sept. 2003, Esperanza lost most of their equipement when they returned home from tour and winning D II/III (horns, percussion, atv, misc. tools) Nothing was ever recovered and sad to say, it happened again in 2005 or 6, can't remember which year....any wonder smaller corps struggle.....

Its hard enough to field a corps w/o crime getting in the way....here's to everyone stepping up, helping out, lesson learned, move on, lower the 'bashing' arm and lets help these kids march.....

Just a mom......

Very good point. It is about the kids marching. Please remember that. :smile:

Very good point. It is about the kids marching. Please remember that. :smile:

Yes, let's all remember that.

So what's the deal with the no insurance, then?

Yes, let's all remember that.

So what's the deal with the no insurance, then?

Whether or not the ATV and trailer were insured is a moot point. The owner, not The Academy, would receive the insurance proceeds. In fact, The Academy has not stated that they have to pay for the stolen vehicles, so they may have been insured all along. At the end of the day The Academy is still without the cart and trailer.