what was the smallest Corps to compete ?

My notes are not complete, so I can only confirm Braintree Braves having marched 5-member corps on several occasions. I seem to recall them appearing once with just four (may have been 1996)....but never saw them compete with only three.

5 members or 3, you really can't do much about that except applaud them. I bet they went out and did the same thing 150 member corps did. Marched their best show.

Nice Props..... Academie Musicale "from Sherbrooke, Quebec "? This is home for the current Les Stentors Corps, no ?

Yes it is. We had some great years there with Academie -and won Div III again in '95. They were just a great bunch of kids who were mostly in performance type oriented programs in school (music / dance)

Later,

Mike

Yes it is. We had some great years there with Academie -and won Div III again in '95. They were just a great bunch of kids who were mostly in performance type oriented programs in school (music / dance)

Later,

Mike

I remember Academie Musicale. One could tell they had good training and instruction.

On a side note, how much snow does Sherbrooke, Quebec get on average each winter and is it as cold as I'm probably imagining ? ( which is to say a lot.... haha!)

Limited Edition 1996

7 Brass, 5 percussion, 4 colorguard and 1 drum major

photo here http://www.jolesch.com/userView.aspx?ID=11...mp;EventID=2960

God bless em that really takes a lot of class ,and they actually look proud and happy ! My hats off to them ! :worthy:

The '79 Boston Crusaders were amazing! One of the absolute top stories of that fantastic season. I went back to check my own published reviews of them, and their hornline had 25/26 members during the season. Their total number of marchers on the field was 75, and yet they made finals of all the major championships they competed at, except for DCI (19th).

I remember that. I saw them early in the season and their brass was about 25. Hard to imagine in this day and age, but they finished ahead of a lot of corps much larger than them. The one advantage of smaller corps is that Americans tend to have a natural instinct to cheer on the underdog.

Ask Liz - she LOVES small corps...

LOL!

Anyone ever heard of the "Firemen?" They fielded a three person unit in the early '80s. I think they wore turnout gear including the boots!

I remember Academie Musicale. One could tell they had good training and instruction.

On a side note, how much snow does Sherbrooke, Quebec get on average each winter and is it as cold as I'm probably imagining ? ( which is to say a lot.... haha!)

Sherbrooke gets a ton of snow (that's my best scientific answer) - not exactly the place you want to be in the winter - unless you love 30 to 50 centimeter snow storms like every week!

Later,

Mike

To this day, I still think the best format for finals week was Div II and III competing on Monday and Tuesday, with the finals being on Wednesday and the Div I corps competing on Thursday and Friday, with the top 12 competing on Saturday. It was a great, well rounded and structured, week for drum corps.

Moreover, the top corps from II and III would move on to compete in Thursday's quarterfinals for a chance to make the top 25. I know a lot of the lower tier Div I corps hated that as they didn't want to get beat by some pesky and fiesty II or III corps. Moreover, there was the political side as well; "if they aren't Div I why should they get the oportunity to compete at this level?" A lot of these "small" corps from II and III were exceptionally good as they were, sometimes, scored on the same sheets as Div I corps.

On the actual Div I side, there were always those smaller corps with a lot of fight in them. The Geneseo Kinghts and Boston Crusaders used to have some awesome small corps. I believe the Crossmen made it back into the top 12, in 1989, with around 40 or so horns.

In this era of ever growing corps sizes, I still think a smaller corps could go places with a rich abundance of talent and a great show. Not sure if a hornline 28-38 would cut it; but 48 or 58? You bet!