what was the smallest Corps to compete ?

One year at the DCI World Championships, show director Bob Briske selected a corps taught by Pepe Notaro to put on an exhibition at one of the big shows at the end of the week. They had twelve members. The performance was identified as a "Director's Choice." Anyone remember what corps this was?

Fitchburg Kingsmen IIRC. I think it was 85 or 86. Drum Corps World had a story on them.

Back in the mid 90's was when Braintree Braves were last on the field, IIRC. There was a small circuit called the Eastern MA circuit where Braintree competed against smaller corps like Phoenix and believe it or not, the Citations. I was in an alumni corps and we played an exhibition one time at an Eastern MA show, and there were more people in our honor gurard than spectators in the bleachers. As for current minimums in DCA, those who can't come up with the numbers still have the mini corps option. And for those of you who haven't had the pleasure of hearing the likes of Mass Brass, Golden Eagles or Star United, any of them could easily compete and hold their own against the larger units.

I thought the DCA minimum is now 35. And this cannot include anyone in the Honor Guard or the drum majors. I know there are several corps out in this part of the country that have been trying for several years to reach that number so they can compete.

Sorry you might be right I thought it was 30 but it could be 35. And it doesn't include the drum major unless they "perform" which our DM got off the podium at the end to spin a rifle.

Edited by Abbevillekid26

If I recall correctly, the smallest corp I remember seeing was the Marion Cadets out of Ohio. I believe the last year they competed under that name, there were 4 brass, 4 percussion, and 4 colorguard, with a total of 12. The drum major would start the count, and then perform as the 4th member of the color guard. If I am not mistaken, the next year would be the first year with a 30 member minimum.

Marquis 1998 - We marched 7 brass, 8 battery, 4 or 5 in the pit, and 7 or so in the guard.

Of the 7 brass we had 3 sopranos, 1 mello, 2 baritones, and 1 contra

The interesting part is that after Marquis folded and we all went our seperate ways, 2 members of the hornline, myself and the contra player marched Carolina Crown. One of our sopranos marched Tarheel Sun and then Carolina Crown. Our center snare marched Spirit of Atlanta, then marched 2 seasons with the Cavaliers in 2000 and 2001 (not bad years there). Another snare marched Capital Sound, one of our tenor players marched Blue Stars. Those are just the ones I could think of....but we had alot of talent in that small little corps.

I tell everyone, I had more fun marching Div 3 than I ever have doing any other form of corps or marching band. We rehearsed for 6 hours everyday and toured mostly on weekends. Best of all, we had a bunch of NC kids that got to spend a summer in Wisconsin away from mommy and daddy. What a treat.

The only negative was listening to judges tapes.....boy they could call you out individually and it would suck. The "other" baritone player has a timing issue in the feet. Check on that! Mello watch your horn angle. Geez. Can't hide in a 7 member hornline.

Pioneer made quarter finals in 2000 with 28 brass!

The 30 member minimum is for DCI and applies to any corps performing at a DCI show....thus, Kingsmen -- even though they are a DCA corps -- only needed 30 to hit the field last year, since they were only doing DCI shows.

As for small corps... 1996 Nightfire...8 brass (2 sop, 2 mello, 3 bari, 1 contra who ended up marching 97-98 SCV), 4 battery (1 snare, 1 tenor, 2 bass), 4 guard, 1 DM...17 total.

Mystical a few years back had 5 or 6 brass, all oher sections were proportional. It was their first year being activ and they were based in Newbury Park, CA.

Mystikal had the small (under 10 members) brass section in 2008. When the corps started in 2004 around a 20 member brass section, it stayed around that size through 2004-2006.....(not sure about 2007, but i was on staff from 04-06)

Actually Tom, Madscout96 is correct. The Marion Cadets finished in second place to PRC in 1997 by one tenth because of a penalty for being one second under time. The truely unfortunate part came 2 weeks later when Marion went inactive for the rest of the season. Seems some members were caught stealing at a Meijer's store somewhere in Ohio. Meijer's just happen to be a sponsor of the corps at the time. The 30 member minimum rule was adopted the next season. I believe it was first adopted by DCI and then by DCM.

Edited by corpsmaster