Idea for Quarterfinals; Mix up the Order of Corps

In 1988, when Madison won in an upset, I think that prelims (now called 'quarterfinals') and finals were random draws. It was very cool, since anyone could (and did) win!

Sort of.

Prelims in 1988 were like they had always been: Non-Top-12 went first. Then Top-12 from the year before.

For finals, they grouped the corps in 12-6 and 5-1 for finals due to the live broadcast. The 12-6 corps when first followed by 5-1.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sort of.

Prelims in 1988 were like they had always been: Non-Top-12 went first. Then Top-12 from the year before.

For finals, they grouped the corps in 12-6 and 5-1 for finals due to the live broadcast. The 12-6 corps when first followed by 5-1.

A variation that I've been thinking of for a while:

Create four groups of corps based on rankings:

One: 1, 5, 9, 13, 17, 21

Two: 2, 6, 10, 14, 18, 22

Three: 3, 7, 11, 15, 19

Four: 4, 8, 12, 16, 20

Top four from each group advance to semis, plus the next highest

Could create some interest and some interesting scoring, especially for the 17th spot.

I understand the argument about "they've earned the right to go on later" but keep thinking that there are a lot of lower ranked corps who work just as hard but who almost never go on later in the evening at any show, this would allow some of them that opportunity, especially those for whom this is the last show of the year.

Now, that said, I wouldnt mind mixing up the order at other shows. No reason why boston cant go after the cadets, or BD cant go before Crossmen. I wouldnt put the raiders after the cavaliers, just because they would look small by comparison, but they could definitey mix things up to give the lower corps some more practice time during the day

From a marketing standpoint this just won't fly. Part of the allure of a show is the ramping up of expectation. If all shows did random draws, I could understand it, but being a marketing person myself, I understand why DCI runs the lineup the way they do.

I like it the way it is, I don't really want to see Phantom at like 5:30 and Pioneer at 9.

The thing I never liked about selecting the order of appearance at random was that you usually didn't find out when you were going on until almost the last minute. I guess it might be different if it were done today though.

A random draw would be good because I believe there is a different standard set for the earlier marching corps. I think the judging is harsher to allow room for higher scores later in the show.

As a drum corps fan, I believe the competition should be "heads up". That can only be done by a random drawing. This would be a bit of leveling the field for the "lower tier" corps. Also think it would be more exciting for the fans because they would be able to evaluate a head-to-head competition.

Fire away at the idea. I also marched in the American Legion Corps and liked the random draw.

One other thing I've been saying for years -- which is a little OT but goes somewhat to corps order ....

If they are going to continue with corps in reverse order for Quarters and Semis, I strongly believe that they shold not have the breaks between the 18 and 17 corps and the 13 and 12 corps on Thurs and between the 13 and 12 corps on Fri. I would like to see the 19-16 corps -- the ones fighting for those last two Semis spots and the 14-11 corps (those fighting for a Sat spot) get to compete back-to-back with no break for a direct comparison for the fans and the judges.

Imagine this scenario:

The Cavaliers and Blue Devils are neck and neck going into championship week with the Cavaliers being a slight margin ahead. Hard to imagine, I know, but bear with me.

The day of Quarterfinals the Cavaliers get a bad draw and has to go on first while BD gets a great draw and goes on last.

Now Cavies are at a severe disadvantage going into the show because they don't have as much time to practice as BD.

How is this more fair? It could realistically make a lottery drawing be the deciding factor of a championship.

In the current system each corps gets approximately the same amount of time to practice as the other corps in their competitive grouping.

Yes, the top corps get more practice, but they have earned that extra practice by being the top corps. If you want more practice time then get better and earn it