Why pair the same corps together for weeks?

I keep looking forward to San Antonio on the DCI schedule, and I keep wondering if Crown and Cadets share the same food truck. Why in the world has DCI scheduled them show after show together?

Obvious answer: Geography. East Coast.

BUT, the geography answer doesn't fit after about the first week of the season. I would expect corps to pair together for a week or so because of the geographical spread of the shows. Both Cadets and Crown ran into the Cavies and Phantom about a week ago. DCI certainly could have split the pairings when they ran into each other. But this Cadets/Crown thing keeps going (with a few exceptions, obviously) right up until San Antonio. I seem to notice this kind of pairing (with different corps) each year, and Cadets/Crown is only one example. Is there some advantage to touring with the same corps for several weeks straight?

Perhaps they pair them because its an epic adventure haha. I mean it ind of compares corps in one way, but I would mind seein some crown and blue devils... crown would win though

The OTHER obvious answer...

it makes for great drama - half the threads on dcp have been about them for weeks....its good business.

I keep looking forward to San Antonio on the DCI schedule, and I keep wondering if Crown and Cadets share the same food truck. Why in the world has DCI scheduled them show after show together?

Obvious answer: Geography. East Coast.

BUT, the geography answer doesn't fit after about the first week of the season. I would expect corps to pair together for a week or so because of the geographical spread of the shows. Both Cadets and Crown ran into the Cavies and Phantom about a week ago. DCI certainly could have split the pairings when they ran into each other. But this Cadets/Crown thing keeps going (with a few exceptions, obviously) right up until San Antonio. I seem to notice this kind of pairing (with different corps) each year, and Cadets/Crown is only one example. Is there some advantage to touring with the same corps for several weeks straight?

It's got you, me, and everybody talking about it. I think each corps picks where they want to go. Those corps have most always gone where they're going. The difference is that there is another top scoring group to finally compete with the Cadets. It's a good thing < $1 to Martha Stewart >

Honest answer, the corps bid for their own schedule. I may be using the wrong words, but that's about what it is. Some show organizers request certain corps and DCI does what it can to accommodate them, but sometimes they just can't.

I'm of the opinion that Phantom is doing a light tour this year (and I hope corps take turns doing this for financial reasons). I'm also of the opinion that DCI is doing it on purpose this year so that the Regionals REALLY MEAN SOMETHING. It's the first time most of the big dogs meet head to head. It's more reminiscent of the old Regional Tour 1 - DCI Tour 2 days ...... it's more exciting if you ask me.

Corps pick their touring schedules, not DCI. If you have to be in a certain show, i.e. Cadets in Jackson, (or perhaps Crown in SC) it leaves you little option as to which tour you go on. Most corps will not pick shows with more than 7 hours between them...the way DCI sets up the tour leads each corps in a specific direction, with not much options for going back and forth between the east and the midwest.

Hope that helps.

Honest answer, the corps bid for their own schedule. I may be using the wrong words, but that's about what it is. Some show organizers request certain corps and DCI does what it can to accommodate them, but sometimes they just can't.

I'm of the opinion that Phantom is doing a light tour this year (and I hope corps take turns doing this for financial reasons). I'm also of the opinion that DCI is doing it on purpose this year so that the Regionals REALLY MEAN SOMETHING. It's the first time most of the big dogs meet head to head. It's more reminiscent of the old Regional Tour 1 - DCI Tour 2 days ...... it's more exciting if you ask me.

Very helpful answer. I hadn't realized how much input each corps has in the shape of the schedule. I live in SC, and almost every year since 1990 has seen the Cadets at the Columbia show.

As everyone before me has said, corps choose their schedules. There is a general route of shows that progress to each major regional and the corps can choose which route they want. There's leeway here and there, but corps generally meet up occasionally. The Cadets and Crown have toured together for the past few years. Only now has it gotten juicy.

As everyone before me has said, corps choose their schedules. There is a general route of shows that progress to each major regional and the corps can choose which route they want. There's leeway here and there, but corps generally meet up occasionally. The Cadets and Crown have toured together for the past few years. Only now has it gotten juicy.

OSMOSIS???

If a corps elects to go to the West Coast like the Bluecoats did this year and Phatom did last year that tends to impact somewhat the matchups. Early in the season corps want to travel as little as possible yet still be in areas with a strong fan base to help souvenir sales.