Michael Klesch arranging for Crown

That brought something to mind. I remember having about 7982739874.992 different intro's to our show that year. The final 4 had 3 HUGE intros that were very much in line with Crown's current signature wall out sound intro hits. In the end, Hoppy - Shorty and Klesch made the decision that our intro found on the finals dvd said, "Cadets" and that's what we stuck with. Just goes to show that the arranger (no matter how brilliant) doesn't always have full creative license.

That brought something to mind. I remember having about 7982739874.992 different intro's to our show that year. The final 4 had 3 HUGE intros that were very much in line with Crown's current signature wall out sound intro hits. In the end, Hoppy - Shorty and Klesch made the decision that our intro found on the finals dvd said, "Cadets" and that's what we stuck with. Just goes to show that the arranger (no matter how brilliant) doesn't always have full creative license.

I remember my dad telling about that show! He marched snare with BD 78-81 and follows Drum Corps just as much (if not more) then I do. He told me that every time he saw that show, it had a different beginning, and he loved it!!! He really likes seeing the subtle or HUGE differences in shows as they progress throughout the summer.

One thing he doesn't like about corps of late, that instead of changing things completely, they just bring out a giant hose, and water down the parts. I'm with him on that one. What do you guys think about that? I know it's a bit :whistle: but I'd like to hear your thoughts!

I remember my dad telling about that show! He marched snare with BD 78-81 and follows Drum Corps just as much (if not more) then I do. He told me that every time he saw that show, it had a different beginning, and he loved it!!! He really likes seeing the subtle or HUGE differences in shows as they progress throughout the summer.

One thing he doesn't like about corps of late, that instead of changing things completely, they just bring out a giant hose, and water down the parts. I'm with him on that one. What do you guys think about that? I know it's a bit :whistle: but I'd like to hear your thoughts!

Hosing isn't OT. It's part of the entire process. Keep in mind that there are 2 basic approaches to this. 1) Write the meat up front and then hose as you go ... and 2) Write a performable show out of the gate and add as you get stronger. Cadets are a type 1 corps. Crown is a type 2 corps. Cavies used to be a type 1 corps in the 80's but are now definitely a type 2 corps. Make sense?

A few things to consider:

Let's say you're using type 1. The arranger already has to be prepared in the winter for what might need hosing, and how they want to handle it. Is it a matter of clipping a few notes .... cutting a chunk and putting it in the pit ..... having a total rework of a section ready? Lots to consider. Then you have the added issue of Drill designers and percussion writers wanting to add or cut measures to match their book (completing the visual statement or putting in a small drum break so the horns save chops and get the blood flowing again).

Type 2: You have a really well mapped out show and this takes a ton more planning in the off season. The arranger already has to know what they want for a final product, it's just a matter of making the base product work cohesively and then having the time to add where they want to add. Rewrites are usually inevitable, but far less than type 1. Colts were great at doing this in the 80's and 90's and even today. Crown loves to add demand as they go. I would normally say Bluecoats also do this, but after the giant firehoze on the tuba's in recent memory ... I'd say they've changed thought process with the new directorship.

One corps that is unique to this is BD. They are kind of a mix of both philosophies. I would say Musically they are a type 1. Visually they are a type 2. Percussion is definitely a type 1 and somehow find room to add to an already sick book. Go figure. :whistle:

Edited by supersop

Hosing isn't OT. It's part of the entire process. Keep in mind that there are 2 basic approaches to this. 1) Write the meat up front and then hose as you go ... and 2) Write a performable show out of the gate and add as you get stronger. Cadets are a type 1 corps. Crown is a type 2 corps.

lol

Hosing isn't OT. It's part of the entire process. Keep in mind that there are 2 basic approaches to this. 1) Write the meat up front and then hose as you go ... and 2) Write a performable show out of the gate and add as you get stronger. Cadets are a type 1 corps. Crown is a type 2 corps. Cavies used to be a type 1 corps in the 80's but are now definitely a type 2 corps. Make sense?

A few things to consider:

Let's say you're using type 1. The arranger already has to be prepared in the winter for what might need hosing, and how they want to handle it. Is it a matter of clipping a few notes .... cutting a chunk and putting it in the pit ..... having a total rework of a section ready? Lots to consider. Then you have the added issue of Drill designers and percussion writers wanting to add or cut measures to match their book (completing the visual statement or putting in a small drum break so the horns save chops and get the blood flowing again).

Type 2: You have a really well mapped out show and this takes a ton more planning in the off season. The arranger already has to know what they want for a final product, it's just a matter of making the base product work cohesively and then having the time to add where they way to add. Rewrites are usually inevitable, but far less than type 1. Colts were great at doing this in the 80's and 90's and even today. Crown loves to add demand as they go. I would normally say Bluecoats also do this, but after the giant firehoze on the tuba's in recent memory ... I'd say they've changed thought process with the new directorship.

One corps that is unique to this is BD. They are kind of a mix of both philosophies. I would say Musically they are a type 1. Visually they are a type 2. Percussion is definitely a type 1 and somehow find room to add to an already sick book. Go figure. :whistle:

I totally get the ways shows can be written/reworked. I've performed in groups where they've take both approaches. It's just the way you get to take the show in. Do you prefer hearing it WAY too hard and not performed well at the beginning and hear a completely different/easier book at the end performed well (type 1) OR an easy book at the beginning performed semi well, and harder at the end performed pretty well?! I prefer to hear the later, but that's just me.

How was that funny? I think it fits their approach pretty accurately. That's not saying they write a High School Marching Band show and then add 500% more demand throughout the summer. yeeeesh

I totally get the ways shows can be written/reworked. I've performed in groups where they've take both approaches. It's just the way you get to take the show in. Do you prefer hearing it WAY too hard and not performed well at the beginning and hear a completely different/easier book at the end performed well (type 1) OR an easy book at the beginning performed semi well, and harder at the end performed pretty well?! I prefer to hear the later, but that's just me.

I prefer type 1 with a stubborn and egotistical brass caption head that refuses to hose and beats you until you perform it. Then cuts who can't play it and makes the rest bring it up to balance. Sometimes you just can't do that, as in 87 Cavies ... sickest June show in history. Thankfully, they were able to avoid the fire hose on some of the toughest licks, but most of the show was so complex it was an ensemble nightmare...... but sooo friggin cool! Wish I could get my hands on a vid or audio of that somewhere. Totally mindblowing even if it was dirty as sin.

I prefer type 1 with a stubborn and egotistical brass caption head that refuses to hose and beats you until you perform it. Then cuts who can't play it and makes the rest bring it up to balance. Sometimes you just can't do that, as in 87 Cavies ... sickest June show in history. Thankfully, they were able to avoid the fire hose on some of the toughest licks, but most of the show was so complex it was an ensemble nightmare...... but sooo friggin cool! Wish I could get my hands on a vid or audio of that somewhere. Totally mindblowing even if it was dirty as sin.

I LOVE THAT YOU SAID THAT! What I bolded, is exactly how I think the activity should be. I think they get the talent now adays that it can be expected to play these crazy parts.

I'll see if my dad has a recording of it! He has sooo many recordings of the 80's it's ridiculous! He wanted to make sure I got a good knowledge of Drum Corps before I started marching. That was the year I was born, so I'm sure he has a recording of it somewhere! He said that was one of his favorite years of listening to Drum Corps! I'll make him find it and I'll post it on here!

After watching Denver tonight .... I think the only corps who is using old school "tricks" for effect and color would be the Troopers. I can't pigeon hole SCV this year because, after all, it is Copland. Pretty hard to get away from his style and drumcorpsize it.

I really hope people take to heart and study what Crown, Troopers, Phantom (and sometimes) Blue Stars are doing with their arranging. Dissect the shows and find those spots in the music that really draw you in, what tricks they use at Cadences, the voicing they use for power chords, what range exposed parts are in, etc etc etc.

It's totally worth your time to understand what they're doing and why they're doing it. Some really good stuff on the field from these corps this year, but I think Mr. Klesch is leading the pack, closely followed by J.D. Shaw.

I LOVE THAT YOU SAID THAT! What I bolded, is exactly how I think the activity should be. I think they get the talent now adays that it can be expected to play these crazy parts.

I'll see if my dad has a recording of it! He has sooo many recordings of the 80's it's ridiculous! He wanted to make sure I got a good knowledge of Drum Corps before I started marching. That was the year I was born, so I'm sure he has a recording of it somewhere! He said that was one of his favorite years of listening to Drum Corps! I'll make him find it and I'll post it on here!

COOL! I look forward to it if he can find something. Thanks in advance.