• 2002 - Cavaliers - Frameworks
    • 2003 - Blue Devils - The Phenemenon of Cool
    • 2004 - Cavaliers - 007
    • 2005 - Cadets - The Zone
    • 2006 - Cavaliers - Machine
    • 2007 - Blue Devils - Winged Victory
    • 2008 - Phantom Regiment - Spartacus

My vote:

SCV 1999 ---- holly crap, fast and furious. It is raw energy!

Cadets 2000 ---- beautiful all around

BD 2003 --- drumline!

Cavies 2004 ---- the most impressive visual program of the bunch

Cadets 2005 ---- perhaps one of the more influential show on the direction of drum corp activities.

well, just me.... :tongue:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

96 Phantom get's my vote followed by 98 Cadets.

Execution driven shows with great music and excellent arranging. Visual was Crystal Clear and they both remind me of great shows from my era. Straight up Drum Corps!

Gee, I wonder if Phantom 08 is going to win this one... :tongue:

Seriously, folks. I think the historical significance of this show (outside of Rockford) is greatly overstated. Am I glad for all of the members, staff, fans, alumni etc on their accomplishment? Yes. I was happy for them. But as far as 08 Phantom being some activity changing, turn-the-corner, mind-blowing show? No way. That stuff is reserved for 93 Star(i know it didn't win, spare me the pm), 99 SCV, 00 Cadets, 02 Cavies, 05 Cadets etc.

For the record, I voted for 99 SCV.

Gee, I wonder if Phantom 08 is going to win this one... :tongue:

Seriously, folks. I think the historical significance of this show (outside of Rockford) is greatly overstated. Am I glad for all of the members, staff, fans, alumni etc on their accomplishment? Yes. I was happy for them. But as far as 08 Phantom being some activity changing, turn-the-corner, mind-blowing show? No way. That stuff is reserved for 93 Star(i know it didn't win, spare me the pm), 99 SCV, 00 Cadets, 02 Cavies, 05 Cadets etc.

For the record, I voted for 99 SCV.

I know I shouldn't turn this into an anti-Spartacus thread, but seriously... I wonder how many people would have the same passion five season from now. I was listening to the PR 2008 APD the other day and I found it nothing special about the arrangement. (However, the execution by the corp is FANTASTIC!!)

just for the record, my favorite show of all time is PR 2003. I love the music of Red Violin production very much although much tweaking are urgently needed.

'99 SCV!!!!!

I am actually relieved, looking back at all the championship shows, that this was still a tough decision.

I chose Phantom Regiment, 1996.

I absolutely LOVE the music from that show. Very balanced overall--visually tight, musically sound.

Honorable mention would go to SCV 1999 and Cavies 2002.

Hey, has anybody noticed taht the only 2 shows that have received No votes are both Blue Devils? Just an observation.

I chose Phantom Regiment, 1996.

I absolutely LOVE the music from that show. Very balanced overall--visually tight, musically sound.

Honorable mention would go to SCV 1999 and Cavies 2002.

Hey, has anybody noticed taht the only 2 shows that have received No votes are both Blue Devils? Just an observation.

True, but they also command nearly half of the titles listed making there more of a chance for no votes.

I know I shouldn't turn this into an anti-Spartacus thread, but seriously... I wonder how many people would have the same passion five season from now. I was listening to the PR 2008 APD the other day and I found it nothing special about the arrangement. (However, the execution by the corp is FANTASTIC!!)

It's funny, I'm not really a member of the "Spartacus-is-God" fan club, but I would at least say it's one of the better-arranged shows of this decade. The arrangements are really, really powerful and so wonderfully played. Did they win brass last year? I think BD did, but PR sticks out in my mind as the brass performance of that year. Visually I don't think it's remarkable, but the visual vehicle is pretty complimentary to what I'd consider an outstanding musical program. Same as '96, really.

I don't know what to vote for this... Shows that really speak to me are BD 97, Cadets 98, SCV 99, Cavs 02, BD 03, Cavs 04, moooost of Cadets 05, the first half of BD 07, and, yeah, PR 08.

My instinct is to say BD 97 or SCV 99. Or maybe BD 03 -- so flawlessly designed, as are Cadets 98 and Cavs 02. I'm a sucker for shows with great guards and great musical programs...

Visually, I don't need a lot of tricks to get me going. I really look forward to visual moments that are memorable because of how well they compliment the musical program -- the rotating block at the beginning of the BD 97, the slow, quiet company front in Cadets 98 (Actually, a lot of moments in this show), the guard and horn staging throughout BD 03... I could go on. I don't know what to vote!!