Judges getting hurt

I was searching around for some video/pictures of judges getting hurt. I have seen a lot of photos of judges getting hit by flags ( or run over).

I couldn't find anything.

Anyone have anything to share? :0

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was searching around for some video/pictures of judges getting hurt. I have seen a lot of photos of judges getting hit by flags ( or run over).

I couldn't find anything.

Anyone have anything to share? :0

By the time of finals, most the the judges have seen the shows enough to know where NOT to be....although with the release of earlier shows, you might still find some getting whacked.

Closest I ever came was DCA prelims in 06, coming out of the pit after my solo, but I was able to evade the guy.

Cadets 2004. In the opener I believe. Watch the Percussion Angle and listen to the Percussion Judge tape. He gets clipped by a flag and actually calls attention to it afterwards in what he says on the tape.

Sorry I couldn't comment on that back there. I kinda got clipped by a flag.

By the time of finals, most the the judges have seen the shows enough to know where NOT to be....although with the release of earlier shows, you might still find some getting whacked.

Closest I ever came was DCA prelims in 06, coming out of the pit after my solo, but I was able to evade the guy.

Right, I understand that it is more rare in the finals videos...

But, there are a lot of pictures floating around of judges who are in the middle of a show while bleeding.

I remember coming across a video of a montage of judges getting caught in traps.

I just can't seem to find anything. I even remember a post by DCI a couple years ago that highlighted a judge who got knocked by a pole.

Back in 1970 at the end of SCV's out-of-concert number, Rich Man, as the drumline moved towards the sideline the rifles would each spin around in place, holding their rifles waist-height parallel to the ground. One afternoon a squatting drum judge judge got caught by a rifle and went down (and stayed down for a bit, I think). Pretty funny at the time.... not so funny now, of course.

Back in 1970 at the end of SCV's out-of-concert number, Rich Man, as the drumline moved towards the sideline the rifles would each spin around in place, holding their rifles waist-height parallel to the ground. One afternoon a squatting drum judge judge got caught by a rifle and went down (and stayed down for a bit, I think). Pretty funny at the time.... not so funny now, of course.

Probably just a urban myth, but I heard that Madison was involved with two judge fatalities back in the day. One the result of a rifle strike and the other was a heart attack (captured on the judges tape in the box).

Any validity to these?

In semi finals in 1986, I almost took out my former band director who was judging that night. You can see him running away with his hand on my bass drum. It was a fast move at the end of Starlight Express. I asked him if that was him that I almost hit, when I met him at East Tennessee State University, and he said that it was him. We both got a kick out of that one. :tongue:

In semi finals in 1986, I almost took out my former band director who was judging that night. You can see him running away with his hand on my bass drum. It was a fast move at the end of Starlight Express. I asked him if that was him that I almost hit, when I met him at East Tennessee State University, and he said that it was him. We both got a kick out of that one. :tongue:

Awesome!!! :tongue::tongue:

I don't know about judges, but speaking from personal experience, bass techs are in danger from being smacked by the guard.......