If ya had to pick just one aspect

What would you pick?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Music vs Visual

• Visually awesome, musically bland
    • Musically awesome, visually bland

Obviously the best shows out there captivate the audience both visually and musically but if you had to pick, which would you prefer?

1) A very visually appealing show but with pretty bland music that doesn't really wow you

2) a visually boring show (nothing all that special) but with music that has you jumping out of your seat

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm one of those weirdos that prefer visually strong shows to musically strong shows.

Edit: Maybe it is because the tendency is to be the other way around. It is more common to have a musically strong show. I see those all the time.

Edited by Horizon

*bump*

Very good question, I hope more will respond. Personally, I feel a great show starts with a great music package. I should be able to close my eyes in the middle of a show, and still be able to understand and enjoy the product through listening alone. Nothing irritates me more then a show concept based on a visual package.

There should be a balance. But this is a visual activity. So I chose visual over music because if the visual aspect is done right then it enhances the music.

Corps that just run around and play music are boring. If I want to hear adagio for strings, I'll listen to the original. If I want to hear some great jazz tunes, I'll listen to the original.

Music. I think the activity has become visually focused today, whereas previously it had been musically focused. I'd love to see the pendulum swing in the other direction. I'd say 65% music, 35% visual would be good criteria for judging. After all, only a fraction of the audience at any show is high up enough and close enough to the 50 to actually see the drill, but everyone can hear the music, so why should they be judged equally?

Edited by Hrothgar15

Music, without a doubt. At least in my eyes.

This activity started out as a music activity, and I feel like it should stay that way. I feel like, over the past few years, some corps have been really shifting their focus to being visually driven, and have done very well with that, and in my opinion... I think that is wrong.

If we, as an activity, want to be recognized as a legitimate musical outlet, and looked upon positively by other musical activities in the world, then I think the focus has got to be music. I don't understand why we would want an activity that is fueled visually, and "complimented" with music. BORING.

That's just my opinion, and I know a ton will disagree.

Uggh....what a terrible question !!

I voted music because great shows start there but we (human beings) are visual creatures!! It's all about seeing what you hear. If you had chosen another word beside *bland* maybe I would have voted visual. But bland music is NEVER a good show.

Edited by corpsband