Fan Network

I spent some of my free time today checking out some of the stuff available on the DCI Fan Network. I think the short "Spotlight" clips provided by the corps are a great way to give their fans brief glimpses into what they are doing.

I don't understand why some of the corps are not taking advantage of this? I realize that some (such as Blue Devils and Cadets) do a lot of this on their own web sites, but several of the corps do not...and I think are missing a great PR (as in public relations) opportunity here.

Thank you very much to the corps that are taking care of their fans, boosters and parents in this regard.

As of today, here are how the various corps are using FN by posting their own video: (# of clips)

Acadamy - 2

Blue Devils - 11

Blue Knights - 4

Blue Stars - 24

Bluecoats - 18

Boston - 31 :thumbdown:

Cadets - 6

Cascades - 0

Cavies - 16

Colts - 22

Crossmen - 0

Crown - 28

Glassmen - 6

Jersey - 0

Madison - 5

Mandarins - 3

Pacific - 14

Phantom - 16

Pioneer - 0

SCV - 14

Spirit - 2

Troopers - 0

I spent some of my free time today checking out some of the stuff available on the DCI Fan Network. I think the short "Spotlight" clips provided by the corps are a great way to give their fans brief glimpses into what they are doing.

I don't understand why some of the corps are not taking advantage of this? I realize that some (such as Blue Devils and Cadets) do a lot of this on their own web sites, but several of the corps do not...and I think are missing a great PR (as in public relations) opportunity here.

Thank you very much to the corps that are taking care of their fans, boosters and parents in this regard.

As of today, here are how the various corps are using FN by posting their own video: (# of clips)

Acadamy - 2

Blue Devils - 11

Blue Knights - 4

Blue Stars - 24

Bluecoats - 18

Cadets - 6

Cascades - 0

Cavies - 16

Colts - 22

Crossmen - 0

Crown - 28

Glassmen - 6

Jersey - 0

Madison - 5

Mandarins - 3

Pacific - 14

Phantom - 16

Pioneer - 0

SCV - 14

Spirit - 2

Troopers - 0

Are u only adding up the number of videos? Cause in addition to the Vids BK has they have quite a few Podcasts and also Viral/behind the scenes vids on their fan network site.

WP

Are u only adding up the number of videos? Cause in addition to the Vids BK has they have quite a few Podcasts and also Viral/behind the scenes vids on their fan network site.

WP

I am showing the number of videos each corps has under the "Spotlight" section of FN.

Some corps just don't have the people who can do the job and have focused their efforts on other areas of operation. If someone feels as if their favorite corps isn't taking advantage of the media opportunities, perhaps they can inquire directly about why or maybe even offer their services if they have the time and the know-how.

Some corps just don't have the people who can do the job and have focused their efforts on other areas of operation. If someone feels as if their favorite corps isn't taking advantage of the media opportunities, perhaps they can inquire directly about why or maybe even offer their services if they have the time and the know-how.

This x 1000

This is somewhat the case if you use Pioneer as an example. We have people on tour who have the ability to do videos and so forth, but they have other responsibilities that they must prioritize ahead of video work. In addition, the logistical aspects of getting videos edited and online can prove to be difficult while the corps is on tour. Internet connections can be difficult to come by at many housing sites, and staff isn't always able to leave the housing site to go find a 'hot spot' to get stuff uploaded. Even the official fan network videos have had to be mailed from the show site back to the office for editing.

So there's a lot of factors that play into how a corps uses Fan Network and how often. It is something that we're looking to get more involved with. But for now, the focus is on the production on the field.

WP

[/quote

If you watch only one of these it must be the Blue Stars interview with Pearl Harbor survivor Charles C. Allen. It is a wonderful piece and puts into perspective the sacrifices of The Greatest Generation. Very moving and tastefully done.

Good perspective for, oh...1984. Maybe even 2005. Not today. Crown and Blue Stars seem to have something going. Boston, too. And its not like every single corps has about a gazillion alum who are web expert-geeks. So draft someone for the summer...pay them a pittance to do nothing but vids and get whatever simple $500 laptop and $300 video camera it takes. It doesn't take much.

Zero videos??? Really???

Contrast the "Video Top 3" with, well, the Pioneers. Sorry. I wish that were a bad analogy but the numbers YELL it. Heck...how 'bout 2-3 corps go in together? The vid guy (or gal) spends a day with each corps, rotating. One really well-done video each day equals, what...July 12th...20+ days on tour...7 +/- really well-done vids each?

"Get off the couch and do it yourself" is, forgive me for this rut-roh...I actually don't mean to be calling you out, sincerely..., but this attitude is pervasive in the activity and going forward the attitude needs to be that this type of outreach to potential new fans and feeding the frenzy that we die-hard's have should be priority #1. Think about it...3 shows / day = 15,000-30,000 max live, in-person at performances...versus POTENTIALLY a couple hundred thousand a day?? I mean...are you serious?? "Get off the couch and do something" doesn't cut it. I work. So do you. We have to. And the corps have to start making this stuff a priority right up there with fueling up and feeding the kids. Cuz the dollars we are talking about could REALLY supplement the activity nicely. And with the economy looking pretty poopy through next season, every penny is important.

So a BIG, "Top 3" hats off to Boston :thumbdown: , Crown and Blue Stars for their efforts.

The rest of you have some work to do.

Acadamy - 2

Blue Devils - 11

Blue Knights - 4

Blue Stars - 24

Bluecoats - 18

Cadets - 6

Cascades - 0

Cavies - 16

Colts - 22

Crossmen - 0

Crown - 28

Glassmen - 6

Jersey - 0

Madison - 5

Mandarins - 3

Pacific - 14

Phantom - 16

Pioneer - 0

SCV - 14

Spirit - 2

Troopers - 0

This is somewhat the case if you use Pioneer as an example. We have people on tour who have the ability to do videos and so forth, but they have other responsibilities that they must prioritize ahead of video work. In addition, the logistical aspects of getting videos edited and online can prove to be difficult while the corps is on tour. Internet connections can be difficult to come by at many housing sites, and staff isn't always able to leave the housing site to go find a 'hot spot' to get stuff uploaded. Even the official fan network videos have had to be mailed from the show site back to the office for editing.

So there's a lot of factors that play into how a corps uses Fan Network and how often. It is something that we're looking to get more involved with. But for now, the focus is on the production on the field.

I know, I'm going to get blasted...so be it.

Webby, I just don't buy it. If your brass caption head gave this kind of review of the situation in that caption he wouldn't make it to San Antonio.

Let's see...Blue Knights, Troopers, Cascades, Academy and Mandarins out west.

Spirit and Crossmen down south.

Jersey and...CADETS!?!...I mean...THE...Cadets??...out east.

Glassmen and...MADISON!?!...in the Midwest.

ALL OF YOU ARE BEING SCHOOLED BY PACIFIC CREST!!!

Toss Teal in with Cadets and Surf. Toss Revo and Mempho in with Crossmen and Spirit. Etc. Put together 3 corps and get a cheap-Oh intern with some video interest/experience. Get them a laptop, a vid camera, a tri pod, and an air mattress. Have them travel with the corps. Schedule it such that this intern is with a corps that performs that night...as few "off" days as possible. Interviews. Sectionals. Ensemble. Off days at the beach, etc. Performances. Put it all together...warm-up in the lot...march in...lemons/"California Girls"/feathers up--those pre-show things corps do...and put out a vid for any particular corps EVERY THREE DAYS AT MOST.

I know corps have a pretty rotten record of working together on collaborative projects, and all, but...come...on. That was a pathetic excuse for an excuse, Webby.

<retreats to his bomb-proof shelter and dons flame-proof suit>