What am I missing?

what you're missing as that for the most part. they are out performing people. they may not have a show that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy. but they are always top notch in the execution scoring which is 60% of the score. and really more when you think about how quality of performance increases GE. but who cares about execution right? its all about overplaying long chords for the last 2 minutes of the show so that they can get a standing ovation?

i know right, execution is totally a 90s thing :tongue: but seriously, i dont perfer bd's show as a whole, the chairs drive me bonkers, but as a whole they do execute better than pretty much everyone almost every year, wish phantom could do that on the visual end, then they'd be in business haha :laughing:

I agree with this. I am a HUGE Regiment fan, but even though I like to see them do well, I am really enjoying most every show I have seen. I think there are a lot of shows every year that rock, regardless of whether they are the eventual champion or not. Remember 2007 Carolina Crown? It seemed most of the crowds loved that show, and it didn't come close to winning.

i just like this post, haha, phantom shows i always love the music :thumbup: but of course, phantom almost never has the visuals to back it up, its the blunt truth :tongue:

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am hoping seeing BD live and not online will change my mind...but......

i do like the jazz sections. which really is the beginning and the ending. in between...i dunno....the story loses me. they perform the hell out of it, but the chair thing gets to be overkill after 2 minutes.

what you're missing as that for the most part. they are out performing people. they may not have a show that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy. but they are always top notch in the execution scoring which is 60% of the score. and really more when you think about how quality of performance increases GE. but who cares about execution right? its all about overplaying long chords for the last 2 minutes of the show so that they can get a standing ovation?

Nope, not missing that at all. They are masters at execution, there is no doubt.

But I like how in your attempt to make a rational case for your corps you take a swipe at another in your last sentence there. As I recall a certain corps dressed in blue also came into the bit and played trip forte in an attempt to garner the same reaction from the crowd. I guess everybody does what they have to, right?

Lance is fiesty tonight.

Not feisty. I'm genuinely curious as to the years that BD was given gifts rather than earning their placements.

Given that I was responding to somebody who said it was a gift to BD to only lose by .025 to Phantom last year (wow), I just wanted to see what he/she would say.

What years did BD not earn their placement or scores? Please be specific. And since the Cavies have been a virtual top 3 lock for more than a decade, maybe we could get some insight about whether or not they've been given gifts by judges.

Nope, not missing that at all. They are masters at execution, there is no doubt.

But I like how in your attempt to make a rational case for your corps you take a swipe at another in your last sentence there. As I recall a certain corps dressed in blue also came into the bit and played trip forte in an attempt to garner the same reaction from the crowd. I guess everybody does what they have to, right?

not a swipe at any corps. i dont like it when anybody does it.

Lance is fiesty tonight.

I can see where people think there's too much favoritism shown to the Top 3 just because they're who they are. it's kind of like curtsying Queen Elizabeth II because she has a title.

i think this goes back to the inherit problem with fans not understanding that GE on the sheets and GE from the stands aren't the same entity.

Well, you are right, but maybe it should be. Or at least something a little more balanced.

At the end of the day, like so many other sport and entertainment vehicles, without they paying customers there would be no DCI. If Hollywood stopped making movies that people wanted to see, there'd be no more Hollywood. The good thing for DCI is that there is usually some corps out there that "rings the bell" for most people, regardless of whether or not they are crowned the champion. ie. Crown 2007, PR 1993, Velvet Knights 1992, Madison 1996, etc.

I am hoping seeing BD live and not online will change my mind...but......

i do like the jazz sections. which really is the beginning and the ending. in between...i dunno....the story loses me. they perform the hell out of it, but the chair thing gets to be overkill after 2 minutes.

If only they were using props to convey horsies for 11 minutes, everybody would love it! Or maybe whips and slitting throats. Those things never got to be overkill.

If only they were using props to convey horsies for 11 minutes, everybody would love it! Or maybe whips and slitting throats. Those things never got to be overkill.

but really, what r the significance of the chairs? they were invented way before 1930, atleast the fences had to deal with horses or the slitting throats had to deal with spartacus.

+1

maybe if they used an electric chair and kill their drum major it'd be acceptable.

Corps at the top are usually the ones taking the most heat from fans here at DCP.

I won't mention corps by name, but there are many corps in the lower placing range, that "don't do it for me".....I just kind of find it funny that many people will have the courage to bash a top tier corps, but are too afraid to actually bring up things they might not like about lower corps.

No one wants to bully a lower corps, but many want to be the lil chihuahua barking at a doberman.