What am I missing?

To answer the OP question. What you are missing is great drum corps. Your opinion and thoughts are just that, your opinion. That's fine and dandy.

My question is this? What difference will it make to you if BD wins, The Cavies, or the Cadets? I mean really, a week after championships, will it really matter? Just enjoy drum corps and give the corps credit. Opinions welcome. It's fine to agree or disagree with the judges. Life goes on.

Talking to a friend who was in 2005 cadets - "Winning a ring is cool for all of 10 minutes. Then it's cool whenever someone asks you about it, so in your lifetime you will have compiled about a half an hour of coolness regarding a world championship."

I thought that was quite humorous.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My question is this? What difference will it make to you if BD wins, The Cavies, or the Cadets? I mean really, a week after championships, will it really matter? Just enjoy drum corps and give the corps credit. Opinions welcome. It's fine to agree or disagree with the judges. Life goes on.

Well, nothing except that it is a competitive activity and I'm sure there are plenty of kids marching not in a BD, Cavies, or Cadets uniform who would like to experience the feeling of being a champion, even just for a night. If it didn't matter to anyone, then the corps would all perform in exhibition every night and no one would keep score.

I take your point though and I agree, but wouldn't it be nice to see BAC or Glassmen or even Teal Sound one day win a championship? I personally think that would be a good thing for the activity, because as it stands right now you have some very talented performers leaving their regional corps to go and audition for BD, Cavies, Cadets, etc. so they have a shot at winning. So that tells me it matters to kids to want to compete for the championship. So if you have a judging system that seems predisposed to rotating the championship around BD and 1 or 2 other corps ever year, then it's hard to convince them to stay and march with their local corps if they want a shot.

Maybe Crown can break the trend this year, but I just get the sense that when it's all said and done BD will emerge victorious once again. I guess time will tell. But it is a competitive activity. That's why it matters.

As to what years they didn't "earn" it. Well, it's an impossible to even go down that path simply because the sheets and the scores are what they are. I wouldn't presume to put my 1 opinion ahead of 8 or 9 judges who are looking only at very specific things when I am one person looking at the whole.

Ok, then I will presume. BD getting a 19.8 in GE Visual in 2003.

Don't get me wrong; I think BD should have won in 2003. But I think in this case the GE Visual judge was basing his score on the whole rather than a very specific thing. (After all, was the 2003 show REALLY the be-all-end-all of visual effect, as the score implies?) I think the OP was on target in suggesting this happens with BD more often than with other corps.

If only they were using props to convey horsies for 11 minutes, everybody would love it! Or maybe whips and slitting throats. Those things never got to be overkill.

well you didnt have throats slit nearly as much as BD uses the chairs. but why get technical.

I'm curious as to if it's even possible that Phantom may have gotten a teeny little bit of bias in both years they won.

If anybody is going to accuse that of BD, then surely they can at least entertain the thought that it has happened to their favorite corps. Just maybe?

in 96? it came so out of the blue, i dont think so

You're certainly on to something here.

I've been around long enough to have taken notice of how consistently Lance reacts to criticism of BD. He likes sarcasm and beating up straw men, for sure. I've even argued with him in a chat room and he's gone as far as to tell me that my experiences with the Blue Devils were just me "seeing what I wanted to see" and nothing more.

I don't mind people having strong allegiance toward any corps, as long as they're willing to engage in thoughtful, civilized discussion on the topic at hand. In this very thread, we have Lance asking for someone to give him specific examples of years where BD was given a gift in placement, but yet, when the topic of BD's chairs came up, rather than finding a logical justification, the defense was "well those others corps have done it, too" in a sarcastic manner.

I love supporting my corps in any way I can, but I learned a long time ago to take any criticism they receive with a grain of salt. I must admit I wonder about fans of corps who are more violently offended by criticism than alumni.

ok, so where's the criticism of Lance?

:laughing:

Talking to a friend who was in 2005 cadets - "Winning a ring is cool for all of 10 minutes. Then it's cool whenever someone asks you about it, so in your lifetime you will have compiled about a half an hour of coolness regarding a world championship."

Yes, it is quite humorous. But after 17 pages of bickering May I add this thought: I don't know what I'm missing and why? Because after I aged out in '72 I didn't see another show until 1990. By then it (DC) had morphed so much I had to unlearn everything and re-learn some things. I was a horn player so I learned to only listen to the horn lines at first. Never understood drumming anyway so I had to get used to the new sounds coming out of the snares that sounded to me like guys playing on tables, the "pit" (to me a complete misnomer because I come from an orchestral back ground and never played on Broadway) with all kinds of xylophonic (sic) instruments confused the heck out of me - and don't get me started on the blowing on the soda bottles this year - the "guard?" You see where I'm going so the OP question strikes a chord. Am I missing the symmetry? Not so much - though to my untrained eye, it was certainly easier to see if everyone was in unison. Am I missing great music - well since 1993 Star, more and more. Drumming - I still don't get it. I miss drum solos. Guard - sigh. So as an old guy who never won a ring - oh that's right, there were to rings to win BITD - I sit and am not distracted by the frenzied movement because I concentrate on the specificity of the interaction between the musicians (Drums and Horns) on the field. And I am mostly entertained. And I come back year after year hoping that some one Drum Corps will take that completely enthralling leap into the next level where the cohesiveness of Spartacus or the joy of the Roman Images show makes me open my eyes and my ears.

Too much?

Haven't had my DCP fix in a while.

Puppet

Ah, DCP, where so many people have the mental depth of a mud puddle.

Yeesh.

and with this post, we can either say thanks for lowering yourself to join us, or thanks for being just like us.

you choose, because you wouldnt like the collective's thoughts on this

It was cool for maybe 15 minutes, then when we realized we had to do the show again, it stopped being cool. It was like, 1 am, and that show was really #### hard!!!! :laughing:

BD's dont do much for me either, in my opinion the bd's are like yall have said are the darlings of DCI, Their show this year are boring and just not capturing me, in my view alot of the guys who marched for the bd's that think they should win were well to be frank had a silver spoon up his or her's ### in that they hardly did any hard HARD drill and never had any exciting music that really moved you or anything in my view. Because I mean you cant win if your drill isnt very exciting, and you cant hope to win if the music doesnt move anyone. Now they are good marchers but the drill isnt very hard, and the music is boring, so why should they win?

:laughing: