Blue Devils show

Maybe Devs are going back to the way it used to be with modification.

That's exactly what was said about BD when they first became a power back in '75.

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Winning DCI with that easy of a show. Not challenging their members at all I can promise you that. Such good marchers and players and yet the show looks so easy in comparison to cadets and cavaliers and even crown.

am I the only one who wants to see such a good corps like them to challenge themselves more as of the last few years. they seem to get credit for being so clean but their show is so NOT hard.

maybe a olympic diving score rubric would be good for dci.

"Simple minds see simple things!" :cool:

Oh. Grasshopper, where to start? But why start at all? It would be like taking Forest Gump to see John Coltrane! He'd say things like, "Why's his horn bent?" or "Sounds OK, but I can't dance to it" :wall:

Let's just say that your feeble attempt to troll for BD haters (and assuage your agony of not having your favorite corps higher in the rankings, in the bargain) is all too obvious. You need to spend your mental power (such as it is) on more useful contemplation like "where has the creative use of guard gone in drum corps design?" :thumbup:

i have marched in a corps that has won a DCI world class title. whether that be 1 or 2 or 12. I just share my opinion and am critical of every corps.

Check out his clever wording. He didn't say he marched the year that they actually WON the championship, just that he was in a corps that has won before. He could have been the water boy for Kingsmen Alumni...who knows.

Devil fans will say " BD makes hard stuff look easy" They don't. They make easy stuff look cool! If you don't march a lot, your drum and horn will be cleaner, execution scores go up. etc...

Fantastic! So you're admitting that The Cadets, The Cavaliers, Phantom Regiment have all been marching and playing easy shows in the years where they won as well. Well, at least you're putting everyone on an even playing field with that statement...

Personally I wish the whole "difficult = better designed' meme would just die. I don't care if something is harder or less hard; I only care if it works or it doesn't work.

Devils show this year works reasonably well (though the chairs wear out their welcome after the first 3 minutes). They're obviously executing it at a high level. Seems to me that's enough. Given how many other top 12 potential finalist shows bluntly AREN'T working very well (where concept/material/execution all come together), the fact that BD is achieving what they are indicates that they're rightly placing at or near the top.

Edited by mobrien

I cannot understand some posters fascination with the technical demands of a program, or how the program challenges the members, as a measure of how good a drum corps, or their program is. I am referring not just to this thread but many others I have read this season critical of other corps programs.

Ya know, I just cannot remember going to a Broadway musical and thinking to myself, "you know I really liked The Producers, but it just wasn't as technically demanding as Rent, and I really think they could have challenged the performers more".

Displays of velocity, technical skills, range, apparent demand, etc. are merely a few tools from the palate of effect choices that designers can make in constructing great programs. Appropriateness, meaning, emotion, pacing, balance of elements, tone colors, textures, variation, tension release, etc. are also tools that are equally important to creating great effects, and hence great programs.

I have seen plenty of programs that have significant amounts of technical demands and challenges to the members, that I could give a rat's bottom about when all is said and done. It is the shows that have the right balance of ingredients, that display many levels of technical and emotional skills, that connect in a big way with the audience on an emotional and intellectual level, that when performed well, will stand out and likely win.

Example: I have never heard anyone complain about the long mellophone solo in the middle of PR's show last year. After all, the brass and percussion were not playing for a long time so the technical demands and challenge for the members could have been more, right? (wrong)

HTTB

They sound great but they sit and stand on chairs half the time...drill has no velocity or real difficulty except for few members in different parts of various forms.

just wish that they would challenge themselves more.

I understand many people's complaints when it comes to BD, but after watching them last night live...I can't see how anyone can dislike them. No velocity or difficulty? They are sprinting in the opener and closer! Best hornline of the year

...with Cavies a close second :thumbup:

I cannot understand some posters fascination with the technical demands of a program, or how the program challenges the members, as a measure of how good a drum corps, or their program is. I am referring not just to this thread but many others I have read this season critical of other corps programs.

Ya know, I just cannot remember going to a Broadway musical and thinking to myself, "you know I really liked The Producers, but it just wasn't as technically demanding as Rent, and I really think they could have challenged the performers more".

Displays of velocity, technical skills, range, apparent demand, etc. are merely a few tools from the palate of effect choices that designers can make in constructing great programs. Appropriateness, meaning, emotion, pacing, balance of elements, tone colors, textures, variation, tension release, etc. are also tools that are equally important to creating great effects, and hence great programs.

I have seen plenty of programs that have significant amounts of technical demands and challenges to the members, that I could give a rat's bottom about when all is said and done. It is the shows that have the right balance of ingredients, that display many levels of technical and emotional skills, that connect in a big way with the audience on an emotional and intellectual level, that when performed well, will stand out and likely win.

Example: I have never heard anyone complain about the long mellophone solo in the middle of PR's show last year. After all, the brass and percussion were not playing for a long time so the technical demands and challenge for the members could have been more, right? (wrong)

HTTB

:thumbup::cool::wall: I salute you.....perfectly said!

Personally I wish the whole "difficult = better designed' meme would just die. I don't care if something is harder or less hard; I only care if it works or it doesn't work.

Devils show this year works reasonably well (thought the chairs wear out their welcome after the first 3 minutes). They're obviously executing it at a high level. Seems to me that's enough. Given how many other top 12 potential finalist shows bluntly AREN'T working very well (where concept/material/execution all come together), the fact that BD is achieving what they are indicates that they're rightly placing at or near the top.

Great comment :thumbup: , but this "chairs wears out" thing is gaining a life of its own on DCP for no good reason. The way to look at the chairs are partially as "a prop" but sometimes they become part of the field, an "elevation demension". The reason why so many fans (viewing on FN) don't see it is they miss it in the high cam shot (although the Denver multicam revealed a bit more). However, the judges don't miss it, they are right there and see how they are changing the elevation and integrating guard throws and complexity into the design. Also, as I have mentioned elsewhere, BD's guard is intigral to the brass on the field (like last year), they interact and "recognize" each other like jazz club attendees and waitstaff in the club. Other corps are using them as backdrop or accents, framing the show...this is an important diffence and part of the reason why PR sold its show last year.