Blue Devils show

Actually I find it's Crown Honks and Phantom Phans that have the most disdain for BD and Cavies and their particular styles of performing (and winning).

Hey this Crown Mom has no disdain for BD. Never heard that before but I haven't been on DCP long so I'm sure you have a reason to say that. I've always loved both BD and Cavies. I can't stand any of the hatin' that goes on. It's silly.

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey this Crown Mom has no disdain for BD. Never heard that before but I haven't been on DCP long so I'm sure you have a reason to say that. I've always loved both BD and Cavies. I can't stand any of the hatin' that goes on. It's silly.

Well Mom, it just comes with the territory. :thumbup: When you win consistently like BD and Cavies "some" feel a need (unless they can effectively medicate themselves) to rationalize away why that is! It's prejudice by the judges, it's money, it's blah blah blah. Welcome to the dance, get ready for the slings and arrows of outragious fortune! :tongue:

It's a generalization to be fair but I've seen a good number of the above calling out BD and Cavies for playing "easy music" or not playing while moving or... you get the idea. Probably had a lot to do with the fact BD and Cavies were 1 and 2 for... what, like 6 or 7 years?

actually the easy music thing is because a lot of people think the show is a lot of whole notes and power chords..well ok in BD's case power chords

i marched at the highest level for a long time, and in my opinion, bd traditionally has a lower level of ensemble demand than other "top tier" corps.

that doesn't make their shows "easy," though. it's got to be #### hard to make everyone march that well and play that well every year.

personally, i enjoy the more demanding shows, because i like seeing performances that are super-human, not just "great" and "clean."

I enjoy the demanding dirty shows as well, but if I were to classify any show as super-human it would be the ####-clean borderline perfect ones. Those defy some of our most basic flaws as humans, imperfection.

Work smart, not hard. BD has perfected this on the field and in practice. There's another corps in green that has done the same thing. One of the several reasons why have so much respect for these organizations.

Note: This isn't to say that they don't work hard -- they just know how to work hard as efficiently and sensibly as possible.

I enjoy the demanding dirty shows as well, but if I were to classify any show as super-human it would be the ####-clean borderline perfect ones. Those defy some of our most basic flaws as humans, imperfection.

Same here. If it's break-neck speed stuff and I'm marveling at how hard it is because it's so apparent due to not looking or sounding good, as often happens with top tier corps even, I'll pass. Or if it's break-neck speed stuff with a dumbed-down or non-existent brass and nifty visuals until a dazzling last 30 seconds of the opener or closer, I'll pass there, too. Usually it's people who march those kind of shows who seem to just loathe BD. Over the years, I've found them to have a pretty good balance.

What constitutes "challenging" depends on so many variables and opinions, I have a hard time taking anybody seriously who tries to say any of the top corps have easy shows. This year, I'd say the Cadets have the hardest show based on how they're moving, and the kind of musicality they're being expected to produce on the move. But to call what BD is doing "easy" really is just kind of laughable. But, I can't take myself seriously, either, so yeah.

Work smart, not hard. BD has perfected this on the field and in practice. There's another corps in green that has done the same thing. One of the several reasons why have so much respect for these organizations.

Note: This isn't to say that they don't work hard -- they just know how to work hard as efficiently and sensibly as possible.

Cadets are efficient, too. Just different.

I wouldn't since they now play fast rolls, they (the Cavaliers) actually play the drums higher than 9 inchs

This is a topic that would be interesting to debate in the Historical forum. Back when I marched (74 - 77) the Cavaliers were playing rolls with the sticks flying past their ears. Frank Arsenault (the most decorated drummer of the mid 20th century) was responsible for "the Cavalier Style" of that era. Blue Devils (and everyone else) had adopted the low wrist and "finger control" style made popular by Santa Clara but introduced by some corps (and I honestly can't remember who) out east in the early 70's. The Cavaliers argued the merits of their style in the contest crtiques with little success. Blue Devils won drums in '76 with an awsome book and an inspired performance. It was a well deserved win that should go down as one of the best drum lines ever.