Blue Devils show

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand the animosity over BD. I have a hard time taking comments about not being interested in DCI if BD wins such and such, or losing all faith in judges if it wins seriously. Every victory by any entity is a "travesty" to some others. Some awful choices for champions have come from Cadets, Cavies, and BD over the years, but please grow up with the light your hair on fire histrionic comments. Goodness.

I can only speak for myself, but I just want them to be more entertaining. It feels like the show design in the past 10 to 15 years has been a sell out to the judging community. There have been some obvious exceptions to this (03-04 were two of my favorites), but very few. I want the corps to grab me from the start of the show and entertain me until the end. I'm tired of splat*splat*freaking loud dissident chord*splat splat splat*. Give me something I can sink my teeth into. Something that is fan friendly! Something I can take to introduce to friends who've never heard of drum corps. This stuff bores them.

Someone hasn't been around DCP that long. Don't worry, you'll learn to appreciate it the hate and anger. Just be one with it :)

I think all he was trying to ask in his original post is what a lot of people are wondering and that is how you can be looked upon as a first place corps in "Marching Music's Major League" when you bring chairs out on the field and sit down for any length of time. I do believe that they might be more convincing if they would have left the chairs out of their show. I mean are the chairs really needed for the concept of their show?

I think all he was trying to ask in his original post is what a lot of people are wondering and that is how you can be looked upon as a first place corps in "Marching Music's Major League" when you bring chairs out on the field and sit down for any length of time. I do believe that they might be more convincing if they would have left the chairs out of their show. I mean are the chairs really needed for the concept of their show?

Of course they are! I mean any hornline that's playing for an entire 6 and a half minutes needs a place to rest.

*stop the hate mail, I'm kidding...*

thats not ignorance thats reality my friend...dont drink the kool-aid....lol.

Do you know how long they are on the chairs? I think it is much less than a minute of the show. Playing time on chairs is less than 20 secs sitting. It is actually not as long as you think. Also, I don't know of any corps that marches at 236. And those are carrying contras. Those are two facts. You can check them. Just thought you'd like to know

I can only speak for myself, but I just want them to be more entertaining. It feels like the show design in the past 10 to 15 years has been a sell out to the judging community. There have been some obvious exceptions to this (03-04 were two of my favorites), but very few. I want the corps to grab me from the start of the show and entertain me until the end. I'm tired of splat*splat*freaking loud dissident chord*splat splat splat*. Give me something I can sink my teeth into. Something that is fan friendly! Something I can take to introduce to friends who've never heard of drum corps. This stuff bores them.

If you're an adult and you have friends who have never gotten into marching band, there's little chance they'll ever like drum corps.

I can understand and respect anybody who says they're not entertained by any corps. The number of championship winning shows that I've despised because I found them not entertaining is pretty long, and it's not isolated to any corps. BD is winning because they don't have any big weaknesses. Plenty of times they've lost to shows entirely because of percussion, and I suspect it may happen to other corps who are trying to catch up to BD this year.

I don't love this BD show. I prefer the Cadets this year. But even if the Cavies or Crown win, it'll be because a group of people in green shirts say it deserved it. I absolutely ####### guarantee it won't be the first or the last time some people who marched in or honk for some other corps disagreed vehemently and threw little hissy fits over it.

I'm talking with little purpose here because anybody who just hates BD will talk about little more than the chairs. lol.

Do you know how long they are on the chairs? I think it is much less than a minute of the show. Playing time on chairs is less than 20 secs sitting. It is actually not as long as you think. Also, I don't know of any corps that marches at 236. And those are carrying contras. Those are two facts. You can check them. Just thought you'd like to know

Does it really matter how long they are in the chairs. It is the fact that they are bringing out chairs at all. This is supposed to be about marching music. The other corps are being judged on marching and being passed over by a corps that is sitting. And if it is such a short length of time then why bring the chairs out at all.

If you're an adult and you have friends who have never gotten into marching band, there's little chance they'll ever like drum corps.

I can understand and respect anybody who says they're not entertained by any corps. The number of championship winning shows that I've despised because I found them not entertaining is pretty long, and it's not isolated to any corps. BD is winning because they don't have any big weaknesses. Plenty of times they've lost to shows entirely because of percussion, and I suspect it may happen to other corps who are trying to catch up to BD this year.

I don't love this BD show. I prefer the Cadets this year. But even if the Cavies or Crown win, it'll be because a group of people in green shirts say it deserved it. I absolutely ####### guarantee it won't be the first or the last time some people who marched in or honk for some other corps disagreed vehemently and threw little hissy fits over it.

I'm talking with little purpose here because anybody who just hates BD will talk about little more than the chairs. lol.

The funny thing is, I think the chairs are one of the more "entertaining" aspects of the show. I dig 'em!

Yeah, earlier in the thread, someone did the math and found that they sit for a total of :50 throughout a 12 min. show. Crown actually has quite a long portion of their third movement movie 210 while playing! The entire horn line! Probably not as clean, but they're doing it, and it is amazing! All these corps are doing some unique things, that sitting really is just the same as a park and blow. How long to the Cadets stand and gyrate their pelvis'? How long does Crown Stand in crazy poses or play on their knees so loud you actually feel your hair blow back?! The thing is, they all stop moving for a portion of their show. GET OVER IT! You're just jealous you didn't think of it first!