Blue Devils show

Uhm....yes.

I swear I'm not Scott Chandler, Sean Vega, or Jay Murphy.

That leaves Downey, Meehan, Bradford, Glyde.... haha, I believe you.

Hats off to you, my friend.

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can DCI really measure that? This activity is an art. Pretty much everything is subjective.

Well, maybe I'm just a simpleton, but (for example) lots of people applauding when a corps narrates (paraphrased) "And for this section were going to shut up and play" is a lot of "subjectiveness" :tongue:

DCI doesn't measure anything, especially connecting with the crowd. DCA, on the other had, seems to "get it" a lot more in that arena.

Agree. Shows don't have to be completely understood to still be enjoyable.

This year, BD's show is mentally engaging. I do think there is a difference between cerebral and mentally engaging. If audience members don't want to think critically about what BD is trying to convey, then they most likely will not completely understand or fully appreciate their show. That being said, I love the points you've brough up.

I am mentally engaged at work 5 days a week, and my kids help destroy my brain cells while I'm at home. So when I go to a drum corps show, I don't want to be mentally engaged! I don't want to have to think about the complexities of BD"s guard and how the Yellow on their silks signifies a re-birth for the middle class who have faced transgression and yadda yadda yadda YOWSA!

Give me clean beats, play in tune, march well, occasionally blow my face off, and most importantly, entertain me.

You want my $75 for a finals ticket, that's who you get it. And I'm betting there are a lot of others who feel the same way.

Edited by Newseditor44

So here is the question... when is DCI going to recognize the connection the kids make with the audience and how entertaining a show is?

I think this is what we all want to know, probably what we are all complaining about in a round about way.

A color guard can connect with the audience by going out topless. That doesn't mean what they do is good design, or performed good: it just connects with the audience (or at least half the audience).

And yes, I think "entertaining the audience" is not necessarily a good thing, and often a bad thing. See Transformers 2: an obviously very popular movie, but one that most critics and movie nerds will agree is pretty horrible.

Well, maybe I'm just a simpleton, but (for example) lots of people applauding when a corps narrates (paraphrased) "And for this section were going to shut up and play" is a lot of "subjectiveness" :tongue:

DCI doesn't measure anything, especially connecting with the crowd. DCA, on the other had, seems to "get it" a lot more in that arena.

It sounds like you think we should measure how loud an ovation is and use that in judging. I respectfully disagree. I could be misinterpreting you.

i marched at the highest level for a long time, and in my opinion, bd traditionally has a lower level of ensemble demand than other "top tier" corps.

That is one of the most outrageous and inaccurate comments I've ever heard on this, or any other board.

I am mentally engaged at work 5 days a week, and my kids help destroy my brain cells while I'm at home. So when I go to a drum corps show, I don't want to be mentally engaged! I don't want to have to think about the complexities of BD"s guard and how the Yellow on their silks signifies a re-birth for the middle class who have faced transgression and yadda yadda yadda YOWSA!

Please cean beats, march well, occasionally blow my face off, and most importantly, entertain me.

You want my $75 for a finals ticket, that's who you get it. And I'm betting there are a lot of others who feel the same way.

But "entertain" is just as subjective as the judging can be. For the rest of it, though, BD is obviously playing clean beats, marching well, and occasionally loud. I know their show is not the most popular (few shows are), but entertainment is in the eye of the beholder.

Personally, I REALLY disliked Phantom's show last year. I thought the visual design was lame and a BIG problem for them, the show was not accurate as far as the movie was concerned, and I thought their attempts to add to GE (hey, lets kill someone else) were a pathetic attempt to hide the fact that their visual design (and visual performance) were severely lacking. I did think they performed musically VERY well, and I LOVED their percussion section. But what some people think was the best show in the history of drum corps, I think is the luckiest show to walk away a Champion.

Edited by perc2100

Give me clean beats, play in tune, march well, occasionally blow my face off, and most importantly, entertain me.

That's completely understandable.

I do think that BD's show this year is extremely entertaining even when you don't want to look at the philosophy behind it.

But maybe if you do, you'll find it even more entertaining. I did. And just like you, I want to be entertained.

A color guard can connect with the audience by going out topless. That doesn't mean what they do is good design, or performed good: it just connects with the audience (or at least half the audience).

And yes, I think "entertaining the audience" is not necessarily a good thing, and often a bad thing. See Transformers 2: an obviously very popular movie, but one that most critics and movie nerds will agree is pretty horrible.

That's great and all, but I have a family of five, and decided not to spend any money on a DCI show this year because I got tired of trying to figure out what was going on down on the field. And this is a comment coming from many people, not just me. You wont have DCI if you lose your customers, and you will lose your customers if your product doesn't appeal to them..

That leaves Downey, Meehan, Bradford, Glyde.... haha, I believe you.

Hats off to you, my friend.

Haha. Thanks! I try.

I swear, I'm a UCSD (noticed you come from SD) Class of 2014 hopeful doing summer reading! Not with the Blue Devils on the way to Louisiana, promise.