DCI World Championships to be broadcast in HD

There's no chance that it's a different John Madden is there? I think one of Michigan State's band directors is named John Madden. And let's hope it's higher quality than the countdown. I wasn't able to see it in theaters, can anyone tell me if it was good last year?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no chance that it's a different John Madden is there? I think one of Michigan State's band directors is named John Madden. And let's hope it's higher quality than the countdown. I wasn't able to see it in theaters, can anyone tell me if it was good last year?

John Madden of Michigan State fame has done the broadcast before, so this is a return engagement for him.

Just to edit the first part of my post -

I'm an idiot.

Before you ask, I do not believe this means there will be a Blu-ray disc this year. I think we are probably still a year or two away. Just guessing, but they probably one to take it one step at a time (year). If I were a betting man, I would say 2010 for Blu-ray.

Um....don't you mean bluuuu-ray?

Cali.

Of course, the question is, what does "high-definition" mean to dci? We'll see, but regardless, it's a great step forward.

My guess is 720p.

OK. This is very good news. I just became interested in going to see the movie theater broadcast again.

:devil:

And I agree about waiting for the Blu Ray version - or at least waiting to pay the cheaper price for non-Blu Ray. (In recent years, I've been waiting for others to review the DVDs first before buying them anyway. Since more than one year has rendered the DVD virtually unwatchable because of the over-amplification of the pit. But I also think the new soundboard engineers that travel with each corps should now have a shot at fixing that.)

Well, seeing as DCI was 10 years behind the 8 ball when it came to anamorphic DVDs....I don't see them releasing a Blu-ray version of Finals in the near future. I sure hope I'm wrong, because watching standard-def on a 100+ inch screen is painful and I'm tired of doing it. Personally, I'd easily pay double the DVD cost to have DCI Finals on Blu-ray. :devil:

I'm so glad that they're making the move to HD... granted, I expect it being a while before the Blu-ray Disc production to be feasible for DCI, but simply for archival purposes, this would be a big step up.

Eventually, you know they'll be releasing some sort of HD recording of the corps, but this won't delay me in picking up the DVDs this year. Even though I have a Blu-ray player, I know next to nobody else who does, and the drum corps evagelist in me still wants to be able to take the discs to others' houses and fire them up.

Um....don't you mean bluuuu-ray?

Cali.

He is neither from Canton, Ohio, nor Lansing, Michigan. :devil: