I couldn't help but notice a similarity between the "Pearl Harbor Attack" section of the Blue Stars show and David Maslanka's 4th Symphony.

Now David does not allow his music to be used on the marching field unless he specifically writes it for such use. So have the Blue Stars pulled one over on David? Here's how I come to this conclusion:

Maslanka 4 uses the Hymn "Old 100." It takes the melody and morphs it into several variations and also sets the traditional hymn tune against a chaotic counter melody. This is where I see the similarity. The Blue Stars do not use the same counter melody, but they do set "Old 100" up in the same fashion. Also very interesting that both versions center around a National Tragedy.

Regardless of if Maslanka 4 was the Blue Stars Design Staffs' inspiration, I find use exceptionally effective. It's brief and you may not even catch it at first, but it's very well used.

Thoughts?

Edited by luvs me sum mello!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This "do not arrange" list is so dumb. Music has the right to be shared with the world.

I disagree. If I ever made something, I would sure be disappointed if it fell into the wrong hands and I didn't want it to be.

Some people go so far as to not allow any arrangements, which is fine with me. If that's what they want then so be it. There are TONS of crappy marching arrangements out there that make me cringe, and I'm not even the composer!

I completely understand James Barnes' not allowing his 3rd Symphony to be arranged.

Sometimes I wish the Star Spangled Banner didn't allow people to make their own arrangements.

(and on that note, did anyone hear "God Bless America" at the All Star Game? Good god....)

where is said list?

I agree. Intellectual property is just that. It is property and deserves to be protected. No different from patents or trademarks. If I made my living from writing music, I'd certainly expect compensation for someone using it, unless I agreed otherwise.

where is said list?

I agree. Intellectual property is just that. It is property and deserves to be protected. No different from patents or trademarks. If I made my living from writing music, I'd certainly expect compensation for someone using it, unless I agreed otherwise.

I found this post in this thread

Some composers on some lists actually allow people to arrange their music, they just charge a fortune.

----

Getting permission from composers is a VERY recent thing. Some still don't do it.

BOA has great resources on their site. Here is something I lifted...

Some composers or publishers do not allow band arrangements of the material they own. This is sometimes due to contractual agreements or the prerogative of the composer. The list below is an accumulative list of material to date that has been denied in the past or that the publisher has indicated will be denied in the future. Always check with publishers before selecting your program.

1. "The Easter Symphony - Mvt. 2 (Death Tree)" by David Holsinger

(publisher instructed to deny requests to arrange 2nd Movement only)

2. Music and film scores by John Williams

3. Music by Joaquin Rodrigo ("Concierto de Aranjuez")

4. Music by Charles Ives

5. "God Bless America"

6. "Riverdance"

7. Music by Vincent Persichetti

8. The use of Literary Characters (i.e. from "Where the Wild Things Are")

9. Music and stories of Dr. Seuss

10. "Symphony #3" by James Barnes

11. Works by David Maslanka (Mr. Maslanka will consider personally creating a new commissioned work or arrangements for your band.)

12. "Ritual Fire Dance" by Manuel de Falla

13. Music from any Disney Film less than six (6) months after the film's release.

14. "Carmina Burana" by Carl Orff

15. Music composed or performed by the rock group Van Halen.

16. "Barbarian Horde" from the Motion Picture "Gladiator"

17. "The Battle" from the Motion Picture "Gladiator"

18. "Progeny" from the Motion Picture "Gladiator"

19. Music composed or performed by the rock group U2.

20. "She Loves You" by John Lennon and Paul McCartney

21. "Space Oddity" by David Bowie

22. "Welcome to the Black Parade" performed by My Chemical Romance

23. Music and Film scores by Thomas Newman

24. All works by Bruce Springsteen

The following will not necessarily be denied. However, our experience has been that permission may take longer than average to be granted. You should allow a minimum of 6-8 weeks or longer to license these works.

1. Hal Leonard requires that all requests be submitted via their website. You should allow approximately 6 weeks to complete the licensing process. However, the following exceptions should be noted:

* Walt Disney Music: Music from movies released within the past 6 months may not be approved.

* Any music controlled by PolyGram UK (primarily music by Björk)

* Music by Andrew Lloyd Webber requires the approval of his UK office. You will be required to submit your score for approval. Allow a MINIMUM of 3 months from the time to submit your score.

* Music composed/performed by Queen. Hal Leonard is required to obtain permission from the copyright owner in the UK. Please allow a MINIMUM of 3 months from the time you submit your request.

* Music composed/performed by Sting and/or The Police

2. Operas intended for a complete show (mos. to approve)

3. "Boléro" by Maurice Ravel

4. "Turandot" by Giacomo Puccini

SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS FOR SPECIFIC WORKS

Because Bands of America intends to continue its practice of recording and distributing video products of performances by participating bands at BOA fall events, bands that choose to perform the following works, or works by the following composers, or administered by the following publishers must take additional steps, pay additional fees and/or provide additional permissions in favor of Bands of America and its designees regarding recording, reproduction and distribution of the performance. To find more detailed information and further requirements read Bands of America's Fall Participant Copyright Documentation

Composers (all works):

* Robert Lamm

* James Pankow

* Prince

* John Lennon

* Led Zeppelin

Composers (specific works):

* Björk ("Joga" and "The Anchor Song")

* Paul McCartney (songs performed by The Beatles)

* Bruce Springsteen ("Born In The USA")

Publishers (collections in their entirety):

* Arc Music Group, including Goodman Music, Conrad Music, Sunflower Music, Jewel Music, Regent Music

Publishers (specific works):

* Paramount Pictures (specifically music including the "Mission: Impossible Theme", and music from "Forrest Gump" and "The Godfather" - music from all movies). If you choose to perform songs from other Paramount Pictures movies, please contact BOA as soon as possible so that we may confirm that licensing is available and appropriate for BOA.

* Walt Disney (specifically music from the motion picture "National Treasure"

Other Restricted Compositions:

* Music from any James Bond movie, regardless of publisher

* Music from any Paramount Pictures movie as stated above, regardless of publisher

* Any Beatles song written by John Lennon or Paul McCartney (see above)

* The song "Hotel California" (by the Eagles)

* The song "Break on Through" (and other songs by Jim Morrison)

* The song "Fly Like An Eagle" by Steve Miller

* Music from the Disney "Pirates of the Caribbean" movies

* "Brazil (Main Title)" by Michael Kamen

* "Barbarian Horde," "The Battle," and "Progeny" from the Motion Picture "Gladiator"

* "Sweet Home Chicago" by Woody Payne

This "do not arrange" list is so dumb. Music has the right to be shared with the world.

Are you suggesting composers don't have the right to decide how their own creation will be disseminated?

Might that be like telling an author they have to let their book be made into a television movie if they didn't want it to be?

Music itself has no rights. The people who create it do have rights. That's why I'm a member of ASCAP.

Personally, I would be excited if any corps wanted to play the concert band music I'm currently writing. But each composer has to make that decision on their own. And when they decide to not allow it, it's normally not due to marketing concerns but how strong their feelings are about the music being played outside the realm for which it was written.

I thank you for your passion, but I also thank the composers for theirs, and I'm grateful to the composers who let their music be shared on the field. Because, when you get down to it, every owner of a copyright of music that is not public domain COULD decide not to let drum corps perform their music.

Therefore, we need to be grateful for what we have, and for what we don't have...it gives us insight into just how much MORE grateful we should be for what we DO have.

Enjoy the performances on DCI's Fan Network tomorrow!

BOA has great resources on their site. Here is something I lifted...

The same person who does the music licensing for Music for All/BOA now does it for DCI. She's very good at it and it gets more complicated and involved every year due to publishers wanting more control over their product.

Just to get this thread back on track:

Yes, that part of the show is probably my favorite part musically. It literally illustrates how far away and different both of their experiences were at the time. (factory workers at home vs. soldiers in battle)

I always enjoy when there's two different themes juxtaposed within one another that "almost doesn't make any sense". Cadets 1989's closer comes to mind.