I couldn't help but notice a similarity between the "Pearl Harbor Attack" section of the Blue Stars show and David Maslanka's 4th Symphony.

Now David does not allow his music to be used on the marching field unless he specifically writes it for such use. So have the Blue Stars pulled one over on David?

If this isn't implying something sinister, OP, then what do you call it?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If this isn't implying something sinister, OP, then what do you call it?

Curiosity on where a top notch design staff pulls little ideas. Everyone gets their inspiration from somewhere.

What was going to do? Claim David Maslanka had the rights to Old 100? Ha...

I was merely pointing out a few similarities in both that particular section and the "reason" behind each piece. Blue Stars = Pearl Harbor. Maslanka = Abe Lincoln.

David isn't a vindictive guy. He'd probably get a laugh out of the similarity and rather enjoy it.

DCP is just always looking for a fight, regardless of if there is one to be had. I, obviously, should have known better.

Edited by luvs me sum mello!

You seem to know him pretty well. You should ask and let us know.

Probably better than most.

I don't know David personally, but I have been around him, cliniced with him, etc. Nice guy, though a little strange, in the way that composers can be strange.

Anyway, it would be neat if composers released their work under the GNU General Public License or something similar. :blink:

I don't usually buy that stuff but...sure, why not?

While you're doing that, throw in some of your DCI DVDs and wait until he mentions how impressed he is with the activity. Then tell him what a shame it is that we can't hear his music on the field.

Some liquor might help as well, or may even be essential. :blink:

Go ahead and design your own app with the exact same functionality, and sell it on the App Store. It's not like you would have any access to my source code or the application binary anyway. Nothing wrong with that. It's not like I "own" this idea for an app. Maybe you can make an even better version, if you take the time to write one. Happens all the time in the market...it's up to the developer to distinguish their app from their competitors, by virtue of the experience and overall design.

I'm not a big "property" or "ownership" guy. I live in a house with 5 of my friends, and we don't do the whole "this food is mine, don't touch it, and I won't touch your food" thing for the fridge. It's everyone's food. If you think the house should be stocked with something, you buy it. If something's run out, and you haven't bought it in a while, pick it up when you're at the store. If you like a food and want to share it with others, get some of that, too. Ownership in this case just creates divisiveness where there doesn't need to be any. Food is food, meant to be enjoyed. Just like music.

It's nice that each of you has agreed to share his food, just like composers who agree to share their music. Your generosity is praiseworthy.

But, why haven't you guys snuck into the neighbor's house and stolen his prime rib from the freezer?

I'm a little surprised at your lack of initiative!

:blink:

Speaking of "Old 100th" (which has been around for what....500 years?), someone needs to perform the Ralph Vaughan-Williams version, compete with Organ, Brass, Field Drums (oh, and Orchestra w/Chorus too :blink: ):

Free Preview (1st track)

The opening and the ending are awesome! (so is the middle stuff, but DCI staff/audiences don't have attn spans for that)

This is the kind of piece we should be playing at Finals Retreat, with massed hornlines AND DRUMS.