This "do not arrange" list is so dumb. Music has the right to be shared with the world.

Glad you feel this way!

Can't wait to steal your work and make small variations to it, then claim credit (and financial recompense) for it!

Maybe I'll start with your DCI app, when it is published.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the utmost respect for the composers and their wishes, but I sure think Thomas Newman's music would make some great percussion breaks if not full corps tunes.

Give a listen to the end credits from Little Children (from the actual movie, not from the soundtrack album which has a totally different arrangment for some reason). That would be an amazing piece to arrange for full corps.

Interesting. When we planned our Beatles show, we didn't have any additional hoops to jump through other than pay the fees. (We couldn't afford the fees, which is why we didn't do the show.) I filled out the form on the web site and received a response in about a week, complete with contract to sign. Perhaps corps shows are viewed favorably when compared to BOA shows?

Arrangement rights aren't the issue. Those are easy to get and are fair priced.

It's the mechanical (recording) rights that are expensive. The Beatles, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, among others, charge in the thousands for those rights.

Maybe I'll start with your DCI app, when it is published.

Go ahead and design your own app with the exact same functionality, and sell it on the App Store. It's not like you would have any access to my source code or the application binary anyway. Nothing wrong with that. It's not like I "own" this idea for an app. Maybe you can make an even better version, if you take the time to write one. Happens all the time in the market...it's up to the developer to distinguish their app from their competitors, by virtue of the experience and overall design.

I'm not a big "property" or "ownership" guy. I live in a house with 5 of my friends, and we don't do the whole "this food is mine, don't touch it, and I won't touch your food" thing for the fridge. It's everyone's food. If you think the house should be stocked with something, you buy it. If something's run out, and you haven't bought it in a while, pick it up when you're at the store. If you like a food and want to share it with others, get some of that, too. Ownership in this case just creates divisiveness where there doesn't need to be any. Food is food, meant to be enjoyed. Just like music.

I'm not a big "property" or "ownership" guy. I live in a house with 5 of my friends, and we don't do the whole "this food is mine, don't touch it, and I won't touch your food" thing for the fridge. It's everyone's food. If you think the house should be stocked with something, you buy it. If something's run out, and you haven't bought it in a while, pick it up when you're at the store. If you like a food and want to share it with others, get some of that, too. Ownership in this case just creates divisiveness where there doesn't need to be any. Food is food, meant to be enjoyed. Just like music.

Does the same principle work with your girlfriends and/or boyfriends? :spitting:

Does the same principle work with your girlfriends and/or boyfriends? :spitting:

No...but I would never claim to "own" my girlfriend, either. People are not things.

Food is food, meant to be enjoyed. Just like music.

So if some stranger sees your car and decides that they want it, you're not going to call the cops when they grab the keys and drive off?

Yeah, I didn't think so.

A piece of music, a piece of writing, a piece of art belong to the person or people who created them, and if others want to use those pieces of art, the creators have the right to expect compensation for use of their property and the right to determine how and where the work is utilized.

Edited by mobrien

I absolutely love how this thread turned into a debate over copyright instead of the parallel between Blue Stars and Maslanka.

I would have much rather it faded into obscurity then have it turn into another classic DCP gripe fest.

Is this forum REALLY that incapable of having decent discussion outside the "normal" topics?

I absolutely love how this thread turned into a debate over copyright instead of the parallel between Blue Stars and Maslanka.

I would have much rather it faded into obscurity then have it turn into another classic DCP gripe fest.

Is this forum REALLY that incapable of having decent discussion outside the "normal" topics?

To be honest, I don't really know the piece.

Edit: There may or may not be a recording of this on a certain website, and I may or may not be listening to it right now.

I may or may not be getting back to you with an opinion later.

Edited by NR_Ohiobando

Not with posts like yours, obviously.

I think that arrangers borrow a lot from sources on the "no-no list," but not enough for any composer to make a stink about it. I'd be willing to bet that a lot of times, DCI arrangers don't even do it intentionally, it just happens with music they most enjoy or are most familiar with.