Who wrote the drill for SCV's '99 show?

After listening to Dan Potter's Field Pass tonight (he played SCV '99 Blue Shades) I decided to watch the entire show. WOW...I don't recall seeing this show before. If ever there was a show that can stand the time test! That show would EASILY be a top 3 show in 2009. The drill, velocity, body work was outstanding...as was the brass and drum book.

Who gets credit for the drill? I'm guessing M.R., but not sure.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After listening to Dan Potter's Field Pass tonight (he played SCV '99 Blue Shades) I decided to watch the entire show. WOW...I don't recall seeing this show before. If ever there was a show that can stand the time test! That show would EASILY be a top 3 show in 2009. The drill, velocity, body work was outstanding...as was the brass and drum book.

you are correct

It's a great drill...fantastic design.

But it is very, very, very dirty, isn't it?

I was there live that night, and I don't remember it being very dirty...I just remember the awesomeness of the entire spectacle. I think that is a testament to how great that show was and the vibe they had that night...even though now I can look back and see how dirty it was, they "sold" the heck out of their show, and sure as heck fooled me into thinking they were cleaner than they were.

(When those three blocks collapsed down into each other at the end of the opener, my buddies and I literally jumped out of our chairs with a "WHOA!")

It's a great drill...fantastic design.

But it is very, very, very dirty, isn't it?

I was there live that night, and I don't remember it being very dirty...I just remember the awesomeness of the entire spectacle. I think that is a testament to how great that show was and the vibe they had that night...even though now I can look back and see how dirty it was, they "sold" the heck out of their show, and sure as heck fooled me into thinking they were cleaner than they were.

(When those three blocks collapsed down into each other at the end of the opener, my buddies and I literally jumped out of our chairs with a "WHOA!")

Over-hyped!! Much cleaner in semis, but the emtoion on finals night was insane. And the energy on the field was well worth the trade off. Jesse, you would know..lol

Edited by Feathers Up

Over-hyped!! Much cleaner in semis, but the emtoion on finals night was insane. And the energy on the field was well worth the trade off. Jesse, you would know..lol

I was at finals in 99, and I can say with no reservation that SCV, while having great energy, was MUCH dirtier than some of the corps below them. It was superbly designed in the fact that it was nearly IMPOSSIBLE for a field judge to get out there and be in any position to evaluate, much less run for his/her life without harming members or his/herself.

This is a great example of a show that basically was judged with no legitimate field evaluation. They were "out of position" for most of the meat of the show, and the numbers did indeed show the "benefit of the doubt".

It's the blessing of the "9's" for SCV.

1989: overage members caught, holes in the drill, drumline "trainwreck"...win corps and drums

1999: dirty dirty dirty, win

2009...? (this is my favorite, barring any sort of implosion come finals night)

I'm too lazy right now to google 59, 69, 79 etc... although I would guess all corps were blessed in 69. :spitting:

Dirty or not, SCV '99 was brilliant.

And I miss extremely tight interval follow the leader drill like nobody's business. And that jaw dropping 3 rotating blocks move. I can never watch that move enough.

Hey Clint.

Yes, the energy on the field was immeasurable that night. I remember one particular moment during a drum break where the brass split off into pods. My pod of four marched off near the back of the field. When we had arrived, two of us were grunting and growling intensely; the other two crying. It's true that our semis performance was a little cleaner, but it didn't have the energy of finals.

For those of you that stayed for the victory concert afterward, both BD and ourselves marched the whole show again. I was told by a staff member that it was too bad the judges didn't stick around and judge us for the second go-around, because we apparently had the perfect balance of energy and cleanliness.... it was apparently the cleanest we had performed all year and had only slightly less energy.

*** Side tangent: Perhaps that would be a great way to decide a winner in the case of a tie in the future.... having the judges stick around and judge the victory concert on a second go-around. Just a thought. ***

That being said, let's be honest here.... "very, very, very dirty"? Come on, now. The show was actually pretty clean, visually. No, we weren't the cleanest visually, but we also didn't win visual. Does anybody happen to have a recap sheet for that night? I know we won GE, and I think we also won brass... I really don't remember. But I think we might have taken 3rd or 4th in visual. There is no conspiracy where we were rewarded for something that we didn't accomplish. The EFFECT of the visual was what was important, and it was very effective.

The problem (if you want to call this a problem... personally, I think it's GREAT) was that Myron's drill was very exposed. There are a lot of straight angles and a lot of empty space. Much like in music itself, space is effective. The straight angles required to achieve said space, however, are extremely hard to perform. If somebody in the line is even a couple inches out of the form, it will look dirty, even if the rest of the line is straight (in fact, ESPECIALLY if the rest of the line is straight).

There is some merit to at least one of the comments DWdrumcorps made. Don't think for a second that our staff was not aware of judge placement. In fact, they counted on it. They knew where the field judges would be at all times, and we cleaned the crap out of those spots. Our great brass staff, for example, had a brilliant idea. I'm sure you've all heard the term "wall of sound". They had a concept called "wall of tone". They would tell us, "Okay, look. There is going to be a brass judge standing RIGHT HERE, so the first three rows (in the form) need to play with the best tone possible. The rest of you get to melt face" (Not an exact quote, but it more or less stays true to the message).

I, for one, am greatly saddened that Myron is no longer writing the drill for SCV. Not that I have anything against Pete Weber; I think he's brilliant. Myron was a great teacher and very inspiring in my life, and thus holds a special place in my heart.

Hey Clint.

Yes, the energy on the field was immeasurable that night. I remember one particular moment during a drum break where the brass split off into pods. My pod of four marched off near the back of the field. When we had arrived, two of us were grunting and growling intensely; the other two crying. It's true that our semis performance was a little cleaner, but it didn't have the energy of finals.

For those of you that stayed for the victory concert afterward, both BD and ourselves marched the whole show again. I was told by a staff member that it was too bad the judges didn't stick around and judge us for the second go-around, because we apparently had the perfect balance of energy and cleanliness.... it was apparently the cleanest we had performed all year and had only slightly less energy.

*** Side tangent: Perhaps that would be a great way to decide a winner in the case of a tie in the future.... having the judges stick around and judge the victory concert on a second go-around. Just a thought. ***

That being said, let's be honest here.... "very, very, very dirty"? Come on, now. The show was actually pretty clean, visually. No, we weren't the cleanest visually, but we also didn't win visual. Does anybody happen to have a recap sheet for that night? I know we won GE, and I think we also won brass... I really don't remember. But I think we might have taken 3rd or 4th in visual. There is no conspiracy where we were rewarded for something that we didn't accomplish. The EFFECT of the visual was what was important, and it was very effective.

The problem (if you want to call this a problem... personally, I think it's GREAT) was that Myron's drill was very exposed. There are a lot of straight angles and a lot of empty space. Much like in music itself, space is effective. The straight angles required to achieve said space, however, are extremely hard to perform. If somebody in the line is even a couple inches out of the form, it will look dirty, even if the rest of the line is straight (in fact, ESPECIALLY if the rest of the line is straight).

There is some merit to at least one of the comments DWdrumcorps made. Don't think for a second that our staff was not aware of judge placement. In fact, they counted on it. They knew where the field judges would be at all times, and we cleaned the crap out of those spots. Our great brass staff, for example, had a brilliant idea. I'm sure you've all heard the term "wall of sound". They had a concept called "wall of tone". They would tell us, "Okay, look. There is going to be a brass judge standing RIGHT HERE, so the first three rows (in the form) need to play with the best tone possible. The rest of you get to melt face" (Not an exact quote, but it more or less stays true to the message).

I, for one, am greatly saddened that Myron is no longer writing the drill for SCV. Not that I have anything against Pete Weber; I think he's brilliant. Myron was a great teacher and very inspiring in my life, and thus holds a special place in my heart.

Agreed. And I still think there should of been a 1 point bump just for the look James gave after his bari solo. Haha