Who wrote the drill for SCV's '99 show?

Wayne Dillon, who judged brass on finals night in '99, once told me that had SCV not lost control of their brass sound in the last 30-45 seconds of the show that he would have awarded them high brass...and thus given them the solo win.

Of course, one could say too that a cleaner drill run that night would have accomplished the same thing :)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing finals for the first time live it was great seeing two California corps going at it, although I was pulling for BD myself it seemed most of the crowd were SCV backers that night. They did impress though.....

PS - 1979 SCV 3rd

1969 SCV's highest score was 4th at the National Preview in NY but 69 was the Summer of Love was it not?!

PS - 1979 SCV 3rd

1969 SCV's highest score was 4th at the National Preview in NY but 69 was the Summer of Love was it not?!

I loved that "79 show!!!

I of course never saw the 99 show, due to the fact I knew nothing about the activity at the time. However, after seeing it on video, it is the most intense show I've ever seen. It's nearly everything I want in a drum corps show wrapped in one. I would give anything to have been able to see that show live.

That night was incredibly intense. It was an honor to watch the culmination of the prior 3 years of the Corps push toward the top. Myron's drill was always exposed and had a small margin for error. (none actually) Let's not forget that the night of finals was incredibly emotional for the corps in part due to bereavement. (SCV lost a drummer to a car accident that May) That's one emotion that is pretty darn difficult to control.

Let's not forget that the night of finals was incredibly emotional for the corps in part due to bereavement. (SCV lost a drummer to a car accident that May) That's one emotion that is pretty darn difficult to control.

Amen to that, brother.

Wayne Dillon, who judged brass on finals night in '99, once told me that had SCV not lost control of their brass sound in the last 30-45 seconds of the show that he would have awarded them high brass...and thus given them the solo win.

Of course, one could say too that a cleaner drill run that night would have accomplished the same thing :)

That makes me sad :(

The show was actually pretty clean, visually. No, we weren't the cleanest visually, but we also didn't win visual. Does anybody happen to have a recap sheet for that night? I know we won GE, and I think we also won brass... I really don't remember.

SCV won GE by 0.2 and won Ensemble Music by 0.1. Blue Devils won Ensemble Visual, overall Ensemble caption, Brass and Visual Performance and overall Performance. Cavies won Percussion by 0.1 over SCV and 0.2 over BD.

http://www.fromthepressbox.com/19990814div1finals.htm

I totally agree with the original post. 1999 was one of Myron Rosander's and SCV's best drills ever. A joy to watch it unfold.

Edited by Tusayan

Let me preface this by saying that SCV 99 is easily my favorite show of all time.

SCV winning brass that year would have been a travesty. BD's '99 hornline was untouchable.