Who wrote the drill for SCV's '99 show?

Let me preface this by saying that SCV 99 is easily my favorite show of all time.

SCV winning brass that year would have been a travesty. BD's '99 hornline was untouchable.

Sadly, I agree. SCV rightly were second-best.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me preface this by saying that SCV 99 is easily my favorite show of all time.

SCV winning brass that year would have been a travesty. BD's '99 hornline was untouchable.

Good thing, too, because their drumline was the pits. I was stunned at how much downtime their battery had.

Add me to the list of people who were at finals. SCV got the second biggest crowd response of the night, after hometown Madison. Since DCI judges tend to reward execution over emotion, I was very, very nervous for SCV, and thrilled when there was a tie. Not only was it my favorite of the year, but I think Finals night SCV 99 is to this day the most energetic, emotional, effective show I've seen in person. SCV 99 is easily one of my Top 10 shows of all time, probably Top 5.

One of those weird things in 1999: on Finals night, almost every drumline, 1-12, had a rough go. SCV, Glassmen, BK in particular had been really strong in percussion all season, and their semis percussion performances were much better than their finals percussion performances. This is how the Cavaliers won High Drums with the lowest caption score proportional to the caption max (9.6 out of 10, compare to 19.2 on the current sheets) since the tick system was abolished after 1983.

Edited by hostrauser

After listening to Dan Potter's Field Pass tonight (he played SCV '99 Blue Shades) I decided to watch the entire show. WOW...I don't recall seeing this show before. If ever there was a show that can stand the time test! That show would EASILY be a top 3 show in 2009. The drill, velocity, body work was outstanding...as was the brass and drum book.

Who gets credit for the drill? I'm guessing M.R., but not sure.

I would have to agree. It seems like this is an overall boring year? I have to see more though. Friends tell me about the same. I will see more starting Wednesday. M.R. definitely did the drill.

(snip)

It's the blessing of the "9's" for SCV.

1989: overage members caught, holes in the drill, drumline "trainwreck"... (snip)

None of which were due to any intentional or deliberate action by SCV. I bet that is why we were given the benefit of the doubt at the time. (One of the members that was removed right at the end was in the snare line, fyi.)

SCV-Not-Penalized-DCW-083189.jpg

Wayne Dillon, who judged brass on finals night in '99, once told me that had SCV not lost control of their brass sound in the last 30-45 seconds of the show that he would have awarded them high brass...and thus given them the solo win.

Of course, one could say too that a cleaner drill run that night would have accomplished the same thing :)

Okay, so this comment inspired me to go back and watch the show from multiple sources (CD, video, FN), and I'm having a hard time pinpointing what he was talking about, if your statement is indeed true. The hornline kept GREAT control during that time-frame. We were very clean, balanced, full and loud with no stick-outs, and had dynamic contrast (listen to the last chord, just as an example, for a very nice crescendo). Maybe you can point out to me the loss of control that we apparently had.

Maybe you were thinking of the last 30-45 seconds of 1998 SCV, where the sops had a lot of feet in the sound. I dunno.... maybe you can clear it up for me. *scratches head*

Dirty or not, SCV '99 was brilliant.

And I miss extremely tight interval follow the leader drill like nobody's business. And that jaw dropping 3 rotating blocks move. I can never watch that move enough.

That move was reborn for 2008 btw...end of the opener.

Agreed. And I still think there should of been a 1 point bump just for the look James gave after his bari solo. Haha

Agreed :blink:

The problem (if you want to call this a problem... personally, I think it's GREAT) was that Myron's drill was very exposed. There are a lot of straight angles and a lot of empty space. Much like in music itself, space is effective. The straight angles required to achieve said space, however, are extremely hard to perform. If somebody in the line is even a couple inches out of the form, it will look dirty, even if the rest of the line is straight (in fact, ESPECIALLY if the rest of the line is straight).

Ugh. "Fatty-D."

And amen on the VC:

For those of you that stayed for the victory concert afterward, both BD and ourselves marched the whole show again. I was told by a staff member that it was too bad the judges didn't stick around and judge us for the second go-around, because we apparently had the perfect balance of energy and cleanliness.... it was apparently the cleanest we had performed all year and had only slightly less energy.

Although, to be fair, I think the two groups had pretty different approaches to the VC. BD's was more celebratory (i.e., not as serious), while I think SCV's was more about one last chance to do the show "just like we have all season."

How many times have I wished that someone had the VC on tape/CD/DVD?

How many times have I wished that someone had the VC on tape/CD/DVD?

I taped both BD & SCV's victory concert that night. Crazy time! Need to convert it...if I can find it. Sounds like an off-season project.

MAV