Could Troopers be this years Phantom

Last year Phantom Regiment seemed to capture the hearts and emotions of DCI fans more than any other corps. The last couple of weeks of the season they seemed to ride that wave all the way to the championship on Saturday night.

I really believe the crowd helped PR with the judges. (And deservedly so IMHO) We all know the final margin of victory.

This year I don't really see a show that has quite that type of appeal, BUT I am wondering if it could happen for the Troopers? Not so much because of the show itself, but because of the fact that corps, for the first time in MANY years, has a legitimate chance of being a finalist.

Anyone else agree that DCI fans might get caught up in the historical aspect of the '09 Troopers and give them that added boost that could, like PR last year, make the difference? The margin between 12 and 13 in '09 could be as close as last year's 1 and 2.

I think Troopers could make it happen.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wholeheartedly agree, and I hope that it does happen. It's been 30 years since the Troopers made Dave Richards cry in his judges tape in 1979, and I think it's safe to say the entirety of the Long Blue Line is abuzz this year with the Troopers placements and show quality. Could it be the first time in 23 years that the Troopers perform Saturday night? They're good enough, they're hungry enough, and, darn it, people like 'em!

Mmmmmmm :)

This needs to be said again:

Colts had time to change their show before Denver. They've had rehearsal days this week.

Troopers haven't had a pure rehearsal day since the Thursday before Denver. San Antonio is DAY NINE of ten performances in a row.

Colts have already made changes, and Troop's breathing down their necks.

Troop is likely performing the same show they were a week ago and is STILL within striking range of Colts.

Next week is going to be VERY interesting.

Last year Phantom Regiment seemed to capture the hearts and emotions of DCI fans more than any other corps. The last couple of weeks of the season they seemed to ride that wave all the way to the championship on Saturday night.

I really believe the crowd helped PR with the judges. (And deservedly so IMHO) We all know the final margin of victory.

This year I don't really see a show that has quite that type of appeal, BUT I am wondering if it could happen for the Troopers? Not so much because of the show itself, but because of the fact that corps, for the first time in MANY years, has a legitimate chance of being a finalist.

Anyone else agree that DCI fans might get caught up in the historical aspect of the '09 Troopers and give them that added boost that could, like PR last year, make the difference? The margin between 12 and 13 in '09 could be as close as last year's 1 and 2.

I think Troopers could make it happen.

LOL....boy, did I call this in that other thread or what. Now we are going to see 10 threads about "my corps beat Phantom" or "will my corps beat Phantom".

I'm going to go on record right here and now and say to anyone that if they view their corps success this year as to whether or not they place ahead of Phantom that really doesn't say very much about them. Phantom by all accounts is having a very down year. So placing ahead of them this year is no great feat in-and-of-itself. Now, if your favorite corps placed ahead of PR last year that would be saying something. But beating the champ in boxing when he's fighting with one good arm (ie PR's terrible visual package this year) doesn't really prove how good you are as much as it proves that the champ was vulnerable.

This show is not just Trooper nostalgia, but it would be a GOOD SHOW no matter who was doing it. They are finding ways to do something new yet retain their identity.

I just say "Go Troop"! :blink:

With regard to this particular thread, the OP said "be" not beat. I doubt few are thinking the Troopers will beat Phantom Regiment. I believe he was refering to the "catching lightning in a bottle" thingy. In that respect, would it not be a compliment to "be" like Phantom Regiment '08?

edited for spelling

Edited by Daave

LOL....boy, did I call this in that other thread or what. Now we are going to see 10 threads about "my corps beat Phantom" or "will my corps beat Phantom".

I'm going to go on record right here and now and say to anyone that if they view their corps success this year as to whether or not they place ahead of Phantom that really doesn't say very much about them. Phantom by all accounts is having a very down year. So placing ahead of them this year is no great feat in-and-of-itself. Now, if your favorite corps placed ahead of PR last year that would be saying something. But beating the champ in boxing when he's fighting with one good arm (ie PR's terrible visual package this year) doesn't really prove how good you are as much as it proves that the champ was vulnerable.

The OP didn't say one thing about beating Phantom. The only reference made was the fact that they captured the heart of the crowd last year, not a single thing was said about their performance this year. I have to disagree on the fact that you called it, because this isn't what you called. This is about Troopers making finals, not beating Phantom.

Hey Phantom1701: Here's your comment from another thread this AM:

"Yeah, you have to be careful. All of the BD fans on DCP require hard, written and visual evidence before you can make any kind of statement with regard to their beloved corps.

Just do what I do and remember to take a deep breath and repeat very slowly..."there's no corps like BD, there's no corps like BD, there' no co.........." It also helps while doing this if you click your magic drum sticks together and mark the time.

Once you wake up from the trance and watch Bd's show again you will clearly see the brilliance and why they will again be DCI champions. In fact, it would probably save all the other corps a lot of gas money if we just give them the championship in San Antonio."

I've included BOTH of your ridiculous comments made this morning to demonstrate to anyone what we have here. An angry, confused and wholely inarticulate troll.

First off, if you actually READ the post you were supposedly responding to (in this thread) you will note that he said nothing about anyone over PR, he said just the opposite...........you are blind with anger! And furthermore, I'm certain the PR family DO NOT appreciate your ridiculous ramblings. You need to find another name for yourself Phantom1701, you do not represent this magnificent corps by association. They have far too much class to be associated with you! :blink:

Edited by Plan9

I wholeheartedly agree, and I hope that it does happen. It's been 30 years since the Troopers made Dave Richards cry in his judges tape in 1979, and I think it's safe to say the entirety of the Long Blue Line is abuzz this year with the Troopers placements and show quality. Could it be the first time in 23 years that the Troopers perform Saturday night? They're good enough, they're hungry enough, and, darn it, people like 'em!

Mmmmmmm :)

Boy isn't that the truth. When I was a young little squirt my parents took me to the 64' World Open. Only the top 10 made finals and the Troopers finished 11th. The show organizers had to bring them back for an exhibition on finals night or there would have been rioting in the streets.

Seeing the Troopers in the hunt for finals is THE most inspiring story this year! :blink:And there are a lot of other really good stories this year!